PDA

View Full Version : lnl ?

smokinthelast1
07-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Having a primer pick-up issue some is me on the back stroke. But, I decide to run ever other one and at times its not pick-up a primer.
(I have only ran 500rds with this) Lots going on sure I am missing something.

Any Ideas or tips I might be missing?

Huskerguy
07-02-2012, 08:42 PM
I can't tell but I may be having the same problem. I have only loaded about 50 rounds, in sets of 10 or 20 and every time I have about 20% that are not primed. I plan to play with it tonight to see what I can figure out. I will just run brass through and size and prime - that is all so I can watch it. Is that what you are getting?

cdstang
07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Have you guys checked your primer cam timing? Making sure the slide is going all the way back to pick up a new primer. If not on the top of the cam rod is a black plastic piece. Loosen the screw and adjust it out.

thegreatdane
07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Have you guys checked your primer cam timing? Making sure the slide is going all the way back to pick up a new primer. If not on the top of the cam rod is a black plastic piece. Loosen the screw and adjust it out.

Be sure to remove primer tube and guard to get a precise alignment. The pickup should go ever so slightly past dead center.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

crowbuster
07-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Hey guys, I had to clean up some burrs on mine with a file, the slide and the pick up. Also if you are only running a few primers at a time you need a dowel rod or some other rod that will fit in the tube and keep the primers pushed down as the weight decreases so they pick up reliably. As u troubleshoot your setup, see if you can pull the slide on back if it dosent pick a primer up. If it picks up when you do this, you just need to adj. it a bit. Hope you both get it figured out, you can really fly when she's hittin on all cylinders.

taminsong
07-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Checkk if the sides and top of the push rod is clean, no powder, brass shavings as they will prevent slide from coming home properly and the result is failure to set the primer.

Use an airgun and blow the debris out.

1in9twist
07-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Also, Filing a small chamfer on the leading edge on the bottom of the primer slide gives those couple rogue pieces of powder somewhere to go during longer reloading sessions.

Huskerguy
07-04-2012, 02:39 PM
So far I took the primer slide/shuttle and sanded all of the edges with sandpaper to remove any possible burrs.

I adjusted the base of the primer tube where it attaches to the base of the machine.

The last thing I need to do is take the primer tubes off and look down to see how the holes line up. When someone says just past center I assume you mean once it comes back and lines up with the hole and then just a bit more is correct.

I do like the idea of filing the leading edge off. After what I have done above I loaded 15 rounds and still had two that failed to feed a primer. Still have to look down the tube though.

Thanks for the help

OK, I did everything above and ran exactly 12 primers through just to see how they fed. The first 11 fed perfect, no hang ups, nothing. The last one would not feed down into the shuttle but I figured it was not getting pushed down. So I took all twelve and reloaded them again for a dry run.

This time the shuttle would not even work, it was catching on something and completely hanging up. The bad thing is I had not changed a single thing and there was no powder around as I had just been running the ram up and down with no powder dropping.

I haven't go back to looking this over but it is getting quite frustrating. Also the primer button in bottom wasn't lining up perfect all of the sudden. Seems like things should work much better than this.

thegreatdane
07-05-2012, 01:17 AM
you have been using the weight, right? and its not a brass problem? in my imagination, those things should have fixed the problem. have you tried other primers?

Colorado4wheel
07-05-2012, 01:37 PM
So far I took the primer slide/shuttle and sanded all of the edges with sandpaper to remove any possible burrs.

I adjusted the base of the primer tube where it attaches to the base of the machine.

The last thing I need to do is take the primer tubes off and look down to see how the holes line up. When someone says just past center I assume you mean once it comes back and lines up with the hole and then just a bit more is correct.

I do like the idea of filing the leading edge off. After what I have done above I loaded 15 rounds and still had two that failed to feed a primer. Still have to look down the tube though.

Thanks for the help

OK, I did everything above and ran exactly 12 primers through just to see how they fed. The first 11 fed perfect, no hang ups, nothing. The last one would not feed down into the shuttle but I figured it was not getting pushed down. So I took all twelve and reloaded them again for a dry run.

This time the shuttle would not even work, it was catching on something and completely hanging up. The bad thing is I had not changed a single thing and there was no powder around as I had just been running the ram up and down with no powder dropping.

I haven't go back to looking this over but it is getting quite frustrating. Also the primer button in bottom wasn't lining up perfect all of the sudden. Seems like things should work much better than this.

The metal rod can be adjusted for more stroke. Loosen the nut and move it around. See if that helps.

Huskerguy
07-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Well, I went back at it last night and I found a small grain of powder stuck under the primer punch. That was holding the button up just enough to hang up. I had already taken everything off and looked down the tube to make certain the hole was lined up and went past center. I had already moved the top bracket out to lengthen the stroke of the shuttle.

So now I tried 15 rounds sure of my new adjustments. I had one of the 15 not take a primer for some reason. I hand primed it so I know it takes primers. I won't be happy until the unit is hitting 100%. I know have a bunch of charged cases with bullets and no primers in them and NO bullet puller to fix them. And yes I am using the white rod to push the primers down.

Huskerguy
07-07-2012, 07:16 PM
I think I have my LNL dialed in. Everything people said on here is pretty much right on. Here is what I did:
1. Took the primer shuttle apart, sanded all edges, sprayed the dickens out of it with one shot cleaner and dry lube.
2. Checked base for primer tube to make certain it was lined up perfectly. do not over tighen the allen headed bolt.
3. Make certain the adjustment for the shuttle is correct by looking down the primer hole without the tubes in place to make certain the shuttle hole is dead center in the assembly when it goes back and forth. I adjusted my top black piece that pushes the shuttle back just a bit when the wheel rides up the arm to allow the shuttle to go past center. Then I put the primer tubes back together and life seems to be good.

I just ran about 150 rounds through and had two problems: 1 the primer never even fed and I am clueless how that happened, 2 I had one where the primer didn't seat all the way and had to take the shell plate loose. I ran it back through and it worked fine.

I also learned to really push on the down stroke to get the primer to seat, I am almost exaggerating the pressure just to make certain.

Once those things are lined up in the primer area you should not have any problems. Best of luck