PDA

View Full Version : Observations at the range

frkelly74
07-02-2012, 08:21 AM
We, me and my girls took all five of the 22 rifles out to see how they were shooting the other day. We have 4 Remingtons and a Chipmunk. The girls Chipmunk has the pink stock and is quite shocking to look at, but it will shoot and they are getting so they can shoot it. I will buy another one with a black stock pretty soon for the boy. I have been using the 22 long CB ammo for the Chipmunk to keep the noise level down since the barrel is so short and it is effective. The girls are also pretty recoil sensitive and even the 22 LR ammo was not pleasant for them. I want them to like shooting so I am careful not to let it be " not fun".

I tried some of the 22 long cb in my 513 which I have set up with a bipod and 3-9 variable scope. It is my back yard varminter and will group remington sub sonic ammo quite well. So I fired some of the 22 cb loads and was surprised to see the bullet in flight through the scope and I watched the little pills fly through the air and literally drop through the target. It was quite interesting to see how the trajectory actually looked, to see the bullet climb over the cross hairs and drop back down and penetrate the target about 6" low of where the cross hairs were. too bad they are so expensive.

The other 3 rifles got a few rounds through them also. The 521, the 550-1, and the 511 are all still capable of hitting what you shoot them at. I was especially surprised at the 550-1 with open sights being so easy to hit with. There is something about steel and real walnut guns that is just lost with modern plastic guns. I suppose the oldtimers felt the same when flint was becoming obsolete in favor of percussion, so maybe I am in good company.

Olevern
07-02-2012, 06:20 PM
good job on exercising them guns (and the girls, too!). Get 'em involved early, shoot with them often and they may someday convert their husbands to shooters and second amendment supporters.

chickenstripe
07-02-2012, 07:49 PM
I had the same opportunity to watch a bullet trajectory with the aguila SSS (Sniper Sub-Sonic @ 800fps) at 100yds.

I thought the guy I was with was throwing pieces of gravel that I could see through the 4X scope. Pretty interesting to see.

You can also see a vapor trail with high velocity rounds (I was watching a 22-250) if the humidity is high enough...... and the distance is long enough.