PDA

View Full Version : scratches on case?

adrians
07-02-2012, 07:44 AM
morning ,
What is causing these scretches on my cases,? :-(
and is there a fix for this,?.

They are for my Marlin 1894 in 32-20,,, Thanks and have a great day.

thegreatdane
07-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I would suspect a rough sizing die

gnoahhh
07-02-2012, 08:59 AM
...or scraping as it feeds into the chamber?

L Ross
07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
From being pushed through the loading gate?

Duke

adrians
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I would suspect a rough sizing die

nah the dies are not doing it ( their as smooth as a babies bottom ) i checked, it's happening during loading the rifle

gnoahhh,,,,,L Ross,,,,,

now these sound more like it , I'll make another dummy round and load it slowly and see where it's catching ,but i suspect the chamber might be the culprit it's a little "dull looking"( not shiney). Thanks guy's, :twisted::drinks::twisted:

Salmoneye
07-03-2012, 08:23 AM
From being pushed through the loading gate?

/\/\THIS/\/\

I cured mine by taking the sharp edge off the inside of the loading gate opening...

Be aware that emery cloth or stoning will take off the bluing too, so do this at your own risk, and be aware you are creating bare metal that needs 'protecting...

Hmmm...Just looked at your pic again...

If that is one pass through the action, then I'd say I am wrong about the forward gate edge...If that is two passes through, then I think I am right...

My point being that if all that damage is in one pass, then I believe it must be happeneing upon chambering, as that is too wide compafed to the scrapes I was seeing on my 1894...

Let us know what you find...

adrians
07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Salmoneye,,
The case has been through a couple of times or so and you were on the money as stated earlier,, i got a small screwdriver, the ones they use on eyeglasses and ran it along the loading gates edge and sure enough there was a couple of burrs on the edge (you couldn't see them but you could sure feel them) .

smoothed em off and now it's all hunky dory.
Thank you gentlemen.
:evil:[smilie=w::evil:

hightime
07-03-2012, 06:36 PM
I sent it back and they cleaned up the chamber throat. It works great now.

Owen

MtGun44
07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Lots of loading gates are nearly razor sharp on the inner fwd edge. Need to dissassemble,
remove gate, use a very fine round file and smooth over that corner a bit. Reassemble.

Bill

troy_mclure
07-05-2012, 07:50 PM
i get it on my win 94 .30-30. i dont worry about it.

izzyjoe
07-05-2012, 09:16 PM
i bet you it's the loading gate, when i got my 94 marlin it was razor sharp! so i removed it, and stoned it smooth, now it's slick as glass.

williamwaco
07-05-2012, 09:35 PM
The giveaway was the fact that the scratches extended even onto the bullet.

Frank46
07-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Sometimes you will also get scratches from where the bullet and case enter the magazine tube.
I have heard of two ways to fix this problem. First is to round off the square edges of the front of the tube with some silicon carbide paper. The second one would work if you have a lathe. Set the forward end in the chuck jaws and gently tighten. Then using either a live or dead center lightly expand the tube. Me I prefer the polishing method.Also on the loading gate on the receiver have found burrs just inside the receiver. Stone and polish them. Frank