PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the musket.

williamwaco
07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't know where to put this but it is too good not to post.

Quoted from...
Leander Stillwell
The Story of a Common Soldier of Army Life in the Civil War, 1861-1865

We therefore bivouacked at the point where we stopped until the next morning. Soon after the halt a hard rain began falling, and lasted all afternoon. We had no shelter, and just had to take it, and "let it rain." But it was in the middle of the summer, the weather was hot, and the boys stood around, some crowing like chickens, and others quacking like ducks, and really seemed to rather enjoy the situation. About the only drawback resulting from our being caught out in the summer rains was the fact that the water would rust our muskets. In our time we were required to keep all their metal parts (except the butt-plate) as bright and shining as new silver dollars. I have put in many an hour working on my gun with an old rag and powdered dirt, and a corncob, or pine stick, polishing the barrel, the bands, lock-plate, and trigger-guard, until they were fit to pass inspection. The inside of the barrel we would keep clean by the use of a greased wiper and plenty of hot water. In doing this, we would ordinarily, with our screw-drivers, take the gun to pieces, and remove from the stock all metallic parts. I never had any head for machinery, of any kind, but, from sheer necessity, did acquire enough of the faculty to take apart, and put together, an army musket,—and that is about the full extent of my ability in that line. We soon learned to take care of our pieces in a rain by thoroughly greasing them with a piece of bacon, which would largely prevent rust from striking in. We resumed our march to Bolivar early in the morning of the 18th.
Stillwell, Leander (2011-03-17). The Story of a Common Soldier of Army Life in the Civil War, 1861-1865 (pp. 90-91). . Kindle Edition.

Tatume
07-01-2012, 09:03 PM
The reference to bacon fat reminds me of using the same for bicycle wheel bearing grease. It soon causes the bearings to rust and freeze.

07-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Thanks for posting. Just a little snapshot into the day to day of a Civil War soldier. About all many had or were issued for gun maintenance (Federal issue anyway with the Confederates usually having even less) was a combination tool (combination nipple wrench with two screw driver blades attached), the musket's steel ramrod with a threaded end for attaching the wiper (worm), sometimes a simple two pronged pin punch and whatever scrap cloth or cotton tow was available for cleaning patches. I think gun oil or any kind of solvent was fairly rare. So plain water and animal fat like bacon grease was about it.

Here are original as issued- M1863 Combination tool and 58 cal wiper

The earlier model (M1841-42) Combination tool is about identical except the nipple wrench is box end.

sharps4590
07-02-2012, 07:09 AM
He mentions Bolivar. I expect that occurred in Missouri?

Boerrancher
07-02-2012, 08:34 AM
He mentions Bolivar. I expect that occurred in Missouri?

If so, it was probably on the march to or from the battle of Wilson's Creek.

Best wishes,

Joe

Geraldo
07-02-2012, 08:49 AM
One of the best things about an Amazon Kindle is the free downloads, particularly Civil War diaries. Stillwell's book was written in 1916. IIRC he used his letters and other documents, but it's a recollection, not a diary. That said, it's a great read for anyone interested in the Civil War and how common soldiers lived and fought.

gnoahhh
07-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

As an aside, a re-ennactor buddy once relied on bacon grease as a rust inhibitor on his musket (for authenticity reasons), which we immediately dubbed the 'rust'-ket. We tried to tell him there's salt in bacon...

smoked turkey
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
I thought I had it rough cleaning my front stuffers after a shooting session. Seeing this and realizing the field conditions makes me know that cleaning muzzleloader at home (in my garage) afterwards is no stretch. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

williamwaco
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
One of the best things about an Amazon Kindle is the free downloads, particularly Civil War diaries. Stillwell's book was written in 1916. IIRC he used his letters and other documents, but it's a recollection, not a diary. That said, it's a great read for anyone interested in the Civil War and how common soldiers lived and fought.

It was not a diary. It was reconstructed from memory and from letters he wrote home to his family AND I was not aware of this, the US Congress commissioned the publishing of a multivolume set containing all the records of all the events recorded by both the Union and the Confederate armies. He refers to this publication on several occasions. ( Actually, I am only about halfway through the book. It is very interesting and it is FREE )

I am going to see if it is possible to find a copy of that document in this part of the country.

My great grandfather fought in the battle of Wilson Creek / Oak Hill at the age of 15. I would love to read the official records of that engagement.

Grapeshot
07-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Interesting note, the combination tool showed has a open ended nipple wrench that doubled as a main spring vice.

The hammer was cocked and the open end of the nipple wrench was placed over the conpressed spring leafs and the sear was then tripped, allowing the spring to decompress and be held tightly by the jaws of the wrench.

missionary5155
07-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Greetings
Last Monday after shooting the Hall (3F and .535 RB) about 6 hours after the act (12 shots) it was cleaned. Normally hot water is used but I thought to use tap temperature as that is all a troop on the move would have. Three wet large patches and the 16 groove barrel was near clean. I ran one more through and was hard pressed to see much residue on that patch.
The breech unit was removed (one large bolt) and cleaned with a small brush in water. Dried out with rag corners and oiled. Barrel was oiled. Breech cavity was wipped out with damp patch left over from barrel and oiled. Reassembled and exterrior wipped with oiled patch. Took one hour total and probably could do the same in 30 minutes. No rust found yet. Hard to beat plain ole H2O to clean up BP.
Mike in ILL.

07-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Interesting note, the combination tool showed has a open ended nipple wrench that doubled as a main spring vice.

The hammer was cocked and the open end of the nipple wrench was placed over the conpressed spring leafs and the sear was then tripped, allowing the spring to decompress and be held tightly by the jaws of the wrench.

Yes, I think the open ended nipple wrench of the M1863 combination tool could be pressed into service for holding the main spring for disassembly. The correct tool was a dedicated mainspring compression tool- but you would have been lucky to have one easily available all the time. I don't think they were issued in great numbers thoughout the ranks and issued sparingly to certain NCOs.

Here's a M1863 lock with various tools. Beginning upper left and going counter clockwise- a M1979 tool for trapdoor cartridge guns. It is a combination screw driver set with pin punch AND has the dedicated jaws for holding a TD spring closed for disassembly. A M1863 tool (with open end nipple wrench). A M1841-42 tool (with box end nipple wrench. A musket mainspring compression tool. A M1855 tumbler punch.

I do carry a repro version of the M1841-42 tool in my range box as they were very well designed and still very handy.

gnoahhh
07-09-2012, 02:32 PM
I have one of those U.S. marked mainspring vises and have used it on a myriad of different size mainsprings. It is a dandy. I used a pair of vise grips out of ignorance many years ago, and by and large got away with it until one day the mainspring in an 1809 Whitney got away from me and broke in two when it sprung open. During my search for a replacement spring (you haven't lived until you've done that) I stumbled onto this original spring vise and have kept it handy ever since.