PDA

View Full Version : 22 scope?

mazo kid
07-01-2012, 06:52 PM
I am thinking about getting a 17 HMR rifle and have a question: will the standard 22 scopes be OK on this rifle? I have never shot one before and wonder if there was any recoil, or any more then a regular 22 LR? Any recommendation for a good, fairly inexpensive scope? Thanks.

pietro
07-01-2012, 06:57 PM
ANy scope with a 1" main tube will work just fine.

Your local Wally World or Dick's Sporting Goods should have such in either a straight 4x @ $29.95 or 3x9 @ $39.95, complete with the tip-off rings that will mount directly in grooved RF rifle receivers.

Online, www.swfa.com is having a $39.95 "special" on a 2x7 BSA scope.

dpaultx
07-01-2012, 07:10 PM
The 17HMR has a slightly "snappier" recoil than the 22WMR but it's not enough "heavier" to have much real effect on the scope. The BSA "Sweet 17" scopes with Bullet Drop compensating turrets are real nice on the 17HMR.

Main thing I look for in any rimfire scope is an adjustable objective lens so you can adjust the parallax focus for the shorter ranges of the rimfire rifle.

Doug

Griz44mag
07-02-2012, 12:21 AM
I bought Mueller APV scopes for my target grade rimfires. I really like the adjustable objective, especially since I wear glasses now in my old age. That allows me u to use the eyepiece for crosshair focus and the objective for target focus. Best of both worlds, and very dependable scopes.

LtFrankDrebbin
07-02-2012, 07:41 AM
A standard 4x scope is far better than none but you will be soon wanting more.
I had a 6x scope that came with mine as a package, got a 3-9x40 on it now.
Never have owned an ajustable parallex yet, can't give input to that. But I tend to keep it simple, less things to fiddle with the beter.
Recoil? Next to nothing, feels like my 22lr kicks harder.
If you get a 17hmr I reckon you will be impressed, range and hit power are out of all preportion to it's size.
So cool watching filled cans explode in the scope.

BruceB
07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
In more-recent years, I've switched to 1"-diameter "muzzle-loader and shotgun scopes" for use on my .22 rifles. There are several advantages, in my book:

-wider field of view

-normal, and less-critical eye relief

-availability of 1/4"-click adjustments in many models

-parallax-free at closer range than most big-game scopes, and just about right for .22 rifles

-better quality than most bottom-range "big-game" scopes, without driving the price all the way up to that of first-quality instruments (I consider good Leupolds to be "first-quality"......Swarovski and Zeiss are LUXURY items and don't even get considered for my uses.)

For anything other than sub-compact .22 rifles, these scopes serve very well indeed.

L Ross
07-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Mazo Kid, do you ever get a chance to look through the bargain cave at Cabela's ? I picked up one of their Wind River 2x7 rimfire scopes and have been very pleased.

Duke, (yes that Duke ;>)

jh45gun
07-02-2012, 01:10 PM
If it was me I would buy a BSA Sweet 17 to take full advantage of the round. I have a Sweet 22 for my 22 lr and it works great.

http://swfa.com/BSA-Sweet-17-Riflescopes-C47.aspx

mazo kid
07-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Mazo Kid, do you ever get a chance to look through the bargain cave at Cabela's ? I picked up one of their Wind River 2x7 rimfire scopes and have been very pleased.

Duke, (yes that Duke ;>)

Nope, never have gone looking for scopes there. And The Savage rifle I am wanting has scope bases rather than the regular 22 type grooves. Sorry to have missed your "22 silhouette shoot", was mixed up on the date even tho it was on the computer. I am wanting the 17 HMR for groundhog control; they are starting to get wary now and shots are up around 100 yards. Just not sure my old H&As, Stevens, etc are up to it (or rather maybe should say if I am up to it without a scope).

buck1
07-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I have had great luck with my Simmons 22mag 3 to 9,

mazo kid
07-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks all for the advice! I do have a couple of scopes (Bushnell 3-9 X 32 and Simmons Pro-Hunter 3-9 X 40), just didn't want to get too chintzy!