PDA

View Full Version : Doing a beef brisket with lots of charcoal and wood smoke....

WILCO
07-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Plus I've fired up the dutch oven to make butter milk biscuits and a Southern style beer bread! Cole slaw is made and potatoe salad is on short order to boot! Having iced tea and watching the patriot while I eat. [smilie=w:

hiram1
07-01-2012, 03:42 PM
And life is good

The Dove
07-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Wish I were there WILCO....

The Dove

IIJSavoy
07-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Doesn't exist without pictures...

(I'll keep telling myself that so I don't get homesick.)

WILCO
07-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Just for grins, I tossed a few center cut pork chops and country style ribs on too! The only thing better than empty brass and flying lead is a few spent bags of Kingsford and a pile of ashes. :p

MT Gianni
07-01-2012, 07:50 PM
I did two the last time I did one. I let one rest, wrapping it in tin foil and two bath towels for three hours after it cam e off the smoker. The smoke rings were both about 1" but the latter one was much tenderer.

Wayne Smith
07-01-2012, 08:02 PM
My smoker is an old vertical one and if I use charcoal except in the winter it gets too hot. I just use the wood and get some wood coals going. Sat before Father's day I did a turkey in a beer can chicken type holder in six hours.

375RUGER
07-02-2012, 04:02 PM
southern style beer bread-sounds interesting

Have you shared that in the cookin'?

jkpq45
07-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Fired up the smoker for 5 slabs of ribs on Saturday--temp was about ~105°F all day, barely used 20 pounds of coal for all that meat....

Ribs n' beans turned out well, though. Your chops/ribs, etc. sound tasty!

Rockydog
07-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Did a corned beef brisket last week. Rinsed the pickling brine off the outside and trimmed off the fat cap. Worked about a half cup of yellow mustard into it with my hands. Sprinkled coarse ground black pepper on the mustard until I almost couldn't see any yellow. Wrapped it tight in saran wrap and set it in the fridge for 3-4 days. Brought it out and let it warm to room temp and smoked iy on a low charcoal fire (About 10 Briquets) with water soaked cherry blocks on the charcoal. Took about 3 hours to get to the Beef well done stage on the thermometer. Tastes just like the $7 a pound stuff out of the deli. RD

10x
07-05-2012, 08:01 AM
I have a propane hot smoker with a water pan it it.
I have found that green manitoba maple suckers give the best smoke and then hickory chips.

Any roast cooked in this smoker are tender and incredibly tasty.
I also do port shoulder roasts that I turn into pulled pork.
It takes 5 to 8 hours to cook a roast properly on one of these and those new electronic meat thermometers make sure it turns out perfect every time.
Oh and it uses about $2.00 worth of propane...

Rick N Bama
07-05-2012, 09:38 AM
At 6:30PM last Sunday I put 2 Boston Butts totaling just over 17lbs on the Kamado Joe Grill/Smoker. At 225° they took just over 15 hours to reach an internal temp of 195. Talk about Good Eats!

Rick

WILCO
07-05-2012, 09:53 AM
southern style beer bread-sounds interesting

Have you shared that in the cookin'?

Nope. Didn't think of it. It's only a mix I bought from Aldis:

http://aldishopper.blogspot.com/2011/11/aldi-review-bakers-corner-southern.html

375RUGER
07-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Just add beer and butter- definately southern.

41 mag fan
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Was at the Sav-A-Lot store yesterday getting a few groceries for the family we had coming over for supper and seen they had a whole brisket. just about bought it, but our freezer is full, but it made me think of this thread by Wilco.

this threads made me want to break out the smoker, but man is it hot out. When it cools down though, I'm going to break it out and do some smoking.

Rick N Bama
07-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Was at the Sav-A-Lot store yesterday getting a few groceries for the family we had coming over for supper and seen they had a whole brisket. just about bought it, but our freezer is full, but it made me think of this thread by Wilco.

Do you remember the price per lb of that Brisket? They've just about gotten as expensive as Steak around here!

Briskets are so hit or miss for me that at the price they are now I hesitate to attempt another.

Rick

lbaize3
07-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I was going to grill some BBQ chicken for the 4th, but decided it would be too darned hot to work a grill. Instead I put the cut up chicken in a gallon ziplock bag and put in about a cup of orange juice and a cup of BBQ sauce and left it in the fridge for 24 hours.

The next day we drained the marinade and put the chicken in a pan and placed it in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours. Poultry seasoning was sprinkled liberally over the chicken. After an hour and a half of cooking, We put more BBQ sauce over all the chicken.

Our friends raved over the chicken. It was tender and tasty, even to the center of the breast...