PDA

View Full Version : Stolen lead

Marvin S
07-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Went in the back yard today only to notice that my lead pile is gone. 1700 lbs of Xray shielding 1/8 thick I had rolled into small logs. I know making a police report is futile but I will just because. Besides there was some vandalism to two enclosed trailers. The police will want a value on the lead, does a $1.00 a pound sound right.

Hamish
07-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Does'nt sound high enough to me, how much would it cost to replace it, gas time, etc.

canyon-ghost
07-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Tell them $1 a pound, it's what it costs.

Sorry about you losing your lead, doggone tweakers are stealing any metal they can get. It isn't right, need to shoot them hyperactive wired-up squirrels!

Ron

smokemjoe
07-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Check or tell the junk yards what maybe comming in and see whats there price is to buy lead, I would go $1.25 as insurance my reduce it. Hope you get it back and find the crookes. Joe

Haggway
07-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Base your price off of current market price. Thats what I had to do for items stolen by tweakers.

40Super
07-01-2012, 01:41 PM
You put down what the replacement value for it is.I am goig through this with a burglarized garage, only they went by all my molds and casting equipment/supplies and took all my air tools and Milwaukee cordless tools. Try to remember ANY little detail to help the police. In my case I happened to see a vehicle and a guy down the road that I didn't even know were involved but it turned out to give the police a vehicle to look out for. They just caught them and have some of my stuff,but are rounding more things up from local pawn shops. So it may pay to make a report.

Marvin S
07-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys. I have been ripped off 5 to 6 times and one time they got about $5000.00 in reloading equipment, guns and vintage Bear recurve bows. I can within 98% tell who it is each time. I have an old creek in the back of my place that has a path that leads right to their place and they have ATV's to haul the the stuff. I tell the police but they don't seem to care, no wonder I don't donate when they bother me on the phone wanting money.

40Super
07-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Sounds like a good IR camera would be a good investment. The insurance company should have more influance toward getting the police to investigate better.

darkroommike
07-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Why not mark your lead inconspicuously with a stamp or cartouche? Might make the salvage yard more diligent about reporting "lost lead"?

I like the idea of an IR camera, too. Just make sure they cannot spot it.

As far as replacement cost to the insurance company, print out a page from Rotometals. You need not value the lead you've acquired at what you paid for it but what it is actually worth.

dbarnhart
07-01-2012, 04:51 PM
I have an old creek in the back of my place that has a path that leads right to their place and they have ATV's to haul the the stuff.

Time for a sting.

Gator 45/70
07-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I third the I.R.camera,I put a large card in mine and it will take over 4K picture's...

SWANEEDB
07-01-2012, 06:32 PM
If you have the time I would go to the local salvage yards and have them be on the lookout, that's a pretty good chunk for someone to turn in and rolled up should be pretty good to identify.

Marvin S
07-01-2012, 06:57 PM
If you have the time I would go to the local salvage yards and have them be on the lookout, that's a pretty good chunk for someone to turn in and rolled up should be pretty good to identify.

I plan on it tomorrow as I have a scrap left.

mold maker
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
To many scrap yards don't care where their purchases come from. Their only interested in the profit margin. Even pawn shops protect themselves by not putting anything out, for sale, for 30 days. Anything they suspect is traded off the record.
Getting the law to do anything about a property crime is hard. You about have to do their job, and let them have the credit.

WilliamDahl
07-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm actually surprised that the crooks were willing to go to the effort to physically move 1700 lbs of lead. I figured that they would be too lazy for something like that and go after targets that had a better $ per lb ratio.

Marvin S
07-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Money is money to a thief, especially if they need a some smak or crack or whatever you call it.

WilliamDahl
07-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Sounds like you should have had heavier ingots... :)

Or maybe just trip wires with 12-gauge pepper powder shells?

Bullet Caster
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Sounds like you need to set up a couple of Claymore mines. That should do the trick. Lol. BC

WilliamDahl
07-02-2012, 02:19 AM
Considering how dense lead is, it would be easy to hide it in plain sight. 1700 lbs is only a few cu-ft if you melt it all down. Cast it in ceramic planters, stands for patio umbrellas, etc?

ilcop22
07-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Thanks guys. I have been ripped off 5 to 6 times and one time they got about $5000.00 in reloading equipment, guns and vintage Bear recurve bows.

Five or six times? Do you not have locks? I don't mean to sound so crass, but seriously. :killingpc

Trifocals
07-02-2012, 04:02 AM
First I advise you to determine the price of lead on the commodity market and what a scrap yard would sell it for. Use the higher of the two prices to assign a value. I would think the value would be sufficient to be looked at as more than mere petty theft. A hidden trail camera sounds like a great idea. Put some lucrative marked "bait" out and you should have hard evidence on who the thieves are. Also I would suggest you start marking your possessions with a distinctive mark in an unobtrusive place so as to be readily identified. It sounds as though the thieves are very confident and bold judging by the number of times you have been ripped off. Good luck catching them.

WilliamDahl
07-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Thanks guys. I have been ripped off 5 to 6 times and one time they got about $5000.00 in reloading equipment, guns and vintage Bear recurve bows. I can within 98% tell who it is each time. I have an old creek in the back of my place that has a path that leads right to their place and they have ATV's to haul the the stuff. I tell the police but they don't seem to care, no wonder I don't donate when they bother me on the phone wanting money.

Good fences make good neighbors... So do good moats... :)

evan price
07-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Good fences make good neighbors... So do good moats... :)

So does hiding on the roof with a good 12-gauge and some 00 buckshot...if they want lead...let 'em have it...not YOUR fault you were duck hunting at night and they accidentally got downrange.

Marvin S
07-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Locks? Yes also alarm system with indoor IR cameras and OC gas dispensers. Lead was outside. If I could afford fence to go around five acres and not be deployed all the time I would put two German Sheppards out for em.