PDA

View Full Version : How do You Store your boolits?

Ray Z
07-01-2012, 12:55 PM
When I sit down and cast I usually cast for 3 or 4 evenings. Before we moved I stored my boolits in pans that I made at work. Before we moved I retired. So I don't have any place to make the pans that I stored my finished product in base down. Do you think it's necessary? Do you stack your bullets like that or just toss them in a box until you need them? If you stack them what do you use?

Johnch
07-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I use 3 gallon ( short 5 gallon buckets ) to hold both cast and lubed Boolits
As I get the buckets at work for free

John

btroj
07-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I use whatever I have on hand. Doesn't matter if they are lubed and sized or not, they get put into what I can find and stored.

Murphy
07-01-2012, 01:54 PM
For decades I used the ever popular coffee CAN. They could handle 40-45 Lbs of cast boolits, or cornbread muffin style ingots that I cast.

Sadly, the good ole fashion metal coffee can seems to be becoming a thing of the past. Most coffee is now sold in plastic containers. I have grown fond the Maxell House Coffee brand (cheaper) and the style 'bucket?' they come in. A convenient handle is built into the bucket. and its square. It's different for sure after 25+ years of metal cans.

As for storing the cast boolits themselves? Depends on your needs I reckon. Your lube being a major factor. And if you have several guns in one caliber, they may need to be sized differently for each gun to fit properly. I'd store them as cast if thats the case. On the other hand, if your lube does melt and run all over your boolits that can create a problem for sure.

Just stroll down to the store and see what offerings they have in the coffee section. Don't drink coffee? Ask friends, neighbours, some small businesses. They're bound to go thru coffee often enough you'll have a ton of new container before long.

I once posted a thread about 'How many coffee cans'. I wasn't surprised at all the answers but the consensus seemed to be 'you can't have enough'.

Murphy

wcp4570
07-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I like plastic peanut butter jars. I use them to store both cast and lubed. The jars keep the boolits clean plus that is about all the weight I want to handle at one time. I have even used Gater Aid drink bottles before but they don't stack.

wcp

Ray Z
07-01-2012, 03:14 PM
With the replies that I have gotten, y'all aren't worried about bullets getting flat spots. Since I cast a pretty hard bullet too I'm not going to worry about stacking them base down either. Thanks guys.

slide
07-01-2012, 03:21 PM
I use the military metal ammo boxes. Bought a bunch of them cheap.Store both lubed and unlubed. Never had a problem with flat spots.

engineer401
07-01-2012, 04:46 PM
I use plastic utility boxes. They stack neatly.

bobthenailer
07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I use a hard lube so bulk storage is not a problem for me , i use any container plastic or cardboard that i can get alot of the same kind for orgnized storage, i use alot of 2 1/2 gallon buckets with lids & used car brakes boxes for my storage.
The plastic coffee containers are nice but my familey doesent drink coffee and i dont get very many from friends eitther.

Inkman
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Plastic 3 gallon and 5 gallon buckets for ingots. Makes moving a 150# bucket of lead easy with a handcart. Finished and lubed boolits go into leftover bullet boxes like Berrys and Bear Creek uses. Makes storing and labeling easy. The boxes are saved for me by a couple friends who use those brand bullets.

Al

guidogoose
07-02-2012, 11:17 PM
50 cal ammo cans. Heavy as hell though. Fully loaded they weigh almost a 100 pounds! I use plastic bins at the bench and just reload the bins when needed. The hundred pound cans stay on the floor where they belong!!

dbarnhart
07-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I store my cast bullets in the plastic MTM 50cal ammo cans, approximately 1000 per can. The can will hold more than that but 1000 230grain 45acp boolits weighs approximately 34 pounds. I have a year's supply (about 6K) on the shelf at this time.

Boolits are stored unsized and not lubed. I reload in batches of 1000 so when it is time to reload a batch I take a can off the self and size and lube them at that time.

popper
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Plastic peanut butter, peanut, pretzel jugs. Anything that holds 5-20# worth. See-thru is good and I write on the labels with a sharpie - alloy, size, HT, etc. I lube before loading so lube isn't a problem. Big jugs hold 40# and stay on the floor.

tonyjones
07-04-2012, 12:14 AM
I use cigar boxes and I empty the cigar boxes myself.

TJ

FISH4BUGS
07-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Before we bought the farmhouse here in rural NH, I lived dowtown in Portsmouth NH. It was a 41 unit residential condo and 6 commercial condo unit building. Not good for casting and reloading, but my girlfriend let me set up the casting and reloading operation in the house she was renting, which we ultimately bought together. I had over a ton of wheel weights and didn't want to move them, so we bought the house instead.....well, kind of true anyway.
The condo building recycled, so everything was separated. I saved coffee cans for over 3 years. I have more coffee cans than any 10 people will ever use in their lifetimes. I also have 20 or so 5 gal buckets with lids, and 30 or so 3 gallon buckets with lids from the bagel shop next door. They had organic eggs in them for the egg sandwiches.
Coffee cans (plastic or metal - saved only those with lids) are for bullets, 3 gal buckets are for brass, and 5 gallon buckets are for ww's and ingots. I have been named "container boy" by my sweetie.
But shooting machine guns makes you do things on a grander scale. Brass by the 10,000's (9mm), 5,000's (45), other brass by the thousands and bullets by the thousands and on and on.