PDA

View Full Version : Colt Police Positive questions

Roundnoser
07-01-2012, 11:06 AM
I recently acquired an old Police postive with 4" barrel. The serial number places the production year at 1929. I am certain that it does not have the original grips on it. I'd like to get the correct grips (originals or aftermarket reproductions). Does anyone here know exactly which grips would be historically accurate for this pistol? If you could provide a picture, that would be aces!

Thanks, Jon

rintinglen
07-01-2012, 04:46 PM
This one dates to 28 and is a 6 incher, but the grips should be identical.

Ragnarok
07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Some had hard rubber grips that said 'COLT' in an oval at the top.

rintinglen
07-01-2012, 11:23 PM
From what I've read, as well as my own experience with them, The Police Positive Special got a make over in 1927. Sales of the older "antique" looking guns were falling off, so in an effort to boost sales, The Army Special got a new name--"Official Police"--and the Police Positives checkered got wooden grips and a nicer blue job. The next change would come around 1941 when they reconfigured the frame slightly.
Irregardless, your 1929 gun should have checkered, wooden grips with a nickeled, rampant colt escutcheon.

Mohillbilly
07-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Actualy Army special came first and "turned' into the the Police *** . Never the less , grips on the one pictured is correct . Mine is a 5"

9.3X62AL
07-04-2012, 02:27 AM
Per James Serven (1954), the Army Special morphed into the Official Police. The Police Positive (Special) was a smaller-framed series, the PP Special having a 1/4" longer frame window to accomodate a longer cylinder to fit 32-20 WCF and 38 Special calibers.

FergusonTO35
07-04-2012, 02:51 AM
I was surprised to learn the other day that Police Positive Specials were still being made until 1995 or so.

9.3X62AL
07-04-2012, 04:00 PM
I was surprised to learn the other day that Police Positive Specials were still being made until 1995 or so.

One derivative of the D-frame/PPS was the Colt Detective Special, which I consider to be the single-best snub-nose 38 Special revolver ever birthed--esp. the late-series examples with the ejector rod shroud and the ability to digest +P loads full-time. These stayed around for quite some time as Colt's line of fine wheelguns narrowed away to near-nothingness.

FergusonTO35
07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes, I've always wondered why everyone thinks of the 5-shot Chief's special as the penultimate snubby when the DS has it beat in every way except its slightly larger. Speaking of snubbies, I really like my Charter Arms Police Undercover. Its a six shot .38 +P snub which is the same size and weight as the DS, very accurate too. I paid $300.00 for mine brand new in stainless a couple of years ago.

fourarmed
07-10-2012, 05:52 PM
I have a third model DS, and it has only one fault that I can see. That long, sloping front sight is a definite step backward from the earlier sight. Unless light conditions are perfect, it is nearly impossible to get a good sight picture.

FergusonTO35
07-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I think Colt would have a big seller on their hands if they revived the DS and produced it on modern machinery in a state where labor and facilities are alot cheaper. I think there is enough demand for the DS and maybe the Python to make it worthwhile. Hartford snobs would turn their noses up at it of course but at least everyone else could have the opportunity to buy a real Colt DA revolver brand new.

KCSO
07-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Vintage Industries Inc. is the main supplier of reproduction grips. In the day I would say that it was about 80-20 Smith to Colt as issue duty guns. The guys that were issued a Smith Duty gun didn't want a backwards Colt if they were use to a Smith. Aside from the stiffer action that was prone to stacking and was much harder to tune the cylinder on the Colt runs in reverse of the Smith. All that said I have my Dad's tuned Colt Det. Special that he bought in 1956 and I still carry it.

9.3X62AL
07-12-2012, 11:21 PM
i think colt would have a big seller on their hands if they revived the ds and produced it on modern machinery in a state where labor and facilities are alot cheaper. I think there is enough demand for the ds and maybe the python to make it worthwhile. Hartford snobs would turn their noses up at it of course but at least everyone else could have the opportunity to buy a real colt da revolver brand new.

Roger that!

rintinglen
07-13-2012, 12:36 AM
If Colt would revive the Detective Special, I'd buy two (more).
I have had something like 8 PPs, DS's and one Cobra over the years, plus three or four pocket positives I just have 4 now, One 1923 38 Special, one 1928 32-20, A new Model Detective Special and a similar Cobra. They are out standing guns.