PDA

View Full Version : WW Boolits in '58 Rem w/Conversion Cylinder?

Gray Fox
07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
I have a pair of Taylor's 6 round conversion cylinders coming for my Pietta '58 Remingtons. I have a couple hundred rounds on hand of .45 Schofield and .45 Colt loaded with Pyrodex P and the WW boolits lubed with Lyman Black Powder Gold and sized at .452 that I shoot in my Stainless Vaqueros. Are the WW boolits too hard for the Pietta steel?

Naturally, I'd like to pop some caps and make some smoke as soon as they arrive. My plan is to cast for these revolvers in either pure PB with 2% tin or a 25/75 mix of WW and PB, but the current 105 temps here in Hotlanta mean I'm not heating up the lead pot for soft boolits any time soon. Any comments on the above?

frontloader
07-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Hey Gray Fox, Iv been shooting WW boolits in all my remmys and colts for many many years. not a problem for mine........frontloader

docone31
07-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Nah, you be good.
In my Schofield, the .452 in WW is great!
You gonna like it.

Gray Fox
07-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Like many of you on this board I'm a bit of a mizer and I had an idea that seems to have worked out fine. I've got one of the Lyman powered case trimmers and had a thought to go through my reject brass bucket to find .45 Colt brass that had neck splits. After re-discarding the very obvious bad ones I chucked a .45 Schofield case in and adjusted the trimmer for that case length. Then I ran the Colt brass through it, chamfered and deburred them and now I have another 50 or so pieces of brass that I can load with 3f. I'm going to lube some Lee 230 grain truncated cone .45 ACP boolits with Black Powder Gold, and crimp just past the start of the ogive. This ought to be a close approximation of the original Schofield load, which coincidentally became the basis of the .45ACP performance criteria. I'll let you folks know how they shoot. GF