PDA

View Full Version : Changing Ithaca 37 Safety

NVcurmudgeon
04-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Got a LH safety from Ithaca, but no instructions. I am not an instinctive mechanic, more like a very literal follower of "der manual uf instructions." I have the trigger plate out, that's little more than field stripping. What next? Hammer cocked or not? Take out mainspring? Detailed instructions will be much appreciated.

quack1
04-30-2007, 02:55 PM
You will need to take the trigger out, as it has a fin on the back that is the only thing that keeps the safety button in the triggerguard when you push it to on. If I remember correctly,you have to take most everything off the triggerguard assembly to get to the trigger(hammer, mainspring, bolt release lever etc). When taking the trigger out be careful you dont lose the safety plunger and spring, the safety button is all that holds them in. If you are not careful the plunger can get "launched" and that is never good. Don't ask me how I know. Just replace everything in reverse order. You will need a small diameter punch to get the pin out that holds the mainspring in.

NVcurmudgeon
04-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks, quack. I thought that was how it was, but didn't want to take it apart any further than necessary until I knew for sure. Looks like the hammer and strut can stay in (after I get a tiny punch and get the mainspring out) but I'll see.