PDA

View Full Version : Want a new toy...

troy_mclure
07-01-2012, 02:36 AM
I'm kinda bored with my ruger sbh in .44mag.
I've got it listed with its accessories for $600ish trade value on a local forum.

So far all I've gotten offers on is glocks, which I'm not a fan of, and I've had some offers of cash a touch below what I'm asking in trade.

But I don't really know what I want. Any suggestions? Lol

Wayne Smith
07-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Are you looking for a challenge or to relax?? You could move up to one of the more powerful calibers or, as my choice, move down. I'm really enjoying the 32-20. Another challenge would be something strange like a .41Colt - Uberti is making one.

If you want to keep the 44 the other option is to experiment with other projectiles. Swaged, heavy, light. Lots of options in the .44 family.

Sasquatch-1
07-01-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm kinda bored with my ruger sbh in .44mag.
I've got it listed with its accessories for $600ish trade value on a local forum.

So far all I've gotten offers on is glocks, which I'm not a fan of, and I've had some offers of cash a touch below what I'm asking in trade.

But I don't really know what I want. Any suggestions? Lol

If you are still looking for a .44mag try a Desert Eagle. The trouble is, new it is twice what you are asking for the SBH. Plus if you get the .50AE you can down size to .44 and 357. Don't know if they still offer the .41.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-01-2012, 07:28 AM
not much info to go from to give you a good suggestion,
But I'll try anyway8-)

44 Mag is my favorite caliber.
If you think the gun is a good one (internal specs wise)
and is fairly accurate in your hands,
I'd keep the gun, just put it in the safe til[smilie=1: ...you get the itch again.

I recently bought a Big S&W in 500 mag :mrgreen::twisted::mrgreen::twisted:
I think it's alot of fun researching and trying out a new caliber:castmine:
but to be honest, the 500 is probably more powerful than I really like,
I'm sure someday I'll say goodbye to that caliber and sell the gun,
But I will always go back to 44 mag:coffee:
Jon

sharps4590
07-01-2012, 07:38 AM
I have a real problem parting wtih any firearm once I get one shooting the way I like. But, as with you, I become bored and want to try something different. I'd keep it and just get something else that piques my interest. You have to decide what that is. I like out of the ordinary stuff, the last thing I want is what everyone else has.

Olevern
07-01-2012, 07:51 AM
That's funny, LOL
I have never had to ask anyone what I want in firearms; always had five or six "wants" waiting for the cash on hand to purchase.

troy_mclure
07-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I can't really afford to up and buy a new toy, so something has to go. Lol
And I do have a list of what I want, it's just in the$1500 or more price range lol.
Also another reason to get rid of the gun is I am getting arthritis in my hands and heavy recoil is not comfortable.

gray wolf
07-01-2012, 12:41 PM
You can download the 44 mag to a ***** cat load, and you still ain't given us no hints.

runfiverun
07-01-2012, 12:51 PM
180 grs at 750 in the heavy gun really reduces felt recoil.
the first time i shot 160's in my 45 colt i stopped short and almost looked down the bbl of the gun to see if it really had gone off.
but there was a clean hole right there in the target.

troy_mclure
07-01-2012, 01:46 PM
and you still ain't given us no hints.

I've got no idea! That's why I'm asking you guys!

canyon-ghost
07-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Load the 44 mag back to 44 Special, 7.4 grain of Unique gives me everything I want. I loaded some magnum cases that way but, it's my flattop load.

<<<< that 'un.

The 32-20 isn't a bad thought, I've got a Contender that shoots it. Then again, the 32 mag isn't bad either. I think some of the 32 H&R mags go for around $300. Shot one on the range one day, just sighting in.
http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/department.cfm?id=201

Ron

http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/department.cfm?id=201

sharps4590
07-01-2012, 02:51 PM
How about answering one question, handgun or rifle? Ok, two questions. Do you like old stuff and how intense into reloading, reforming brass and all that "stuff" are you?

troy_mclure
07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
I like both handguns and rifles equally. I like old stuff, and have a bit of black powder stuff. I don't mind reloading, but it's more of a means to an end.

Bullet Caster
07-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Get yourself a CZ 52. Nice bang for the buck. Plus it's supposed to be the only handgun caliber to defeat Class 3 body armour. They're relatively accurate for a .30 cal pistol and sure make a lot of noise. Some even get into reloading for it. 1700 fps from a pistol is nothing to sneeze about. Lol. BC

scarry scarney
07-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Good pistol, lousy sights. Barks like a 357 mag, recoil is easy on the hand. Overall cheap pistol, and affordable ammo. Just be sure that you don't mix 7.65 x 25mm ammo up with 30 browning ammo and use it in a 30 browning pistol ( broom handle, etc) or your pistol will self destruct. Don't dry fire the cz 52 too much, it's got a britle firing pin. Overall two thumbs up, fun pistol.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Good pistol, lousy sights. Barks like a 357 mag, recoil is easy on the hand. Overall cheap pistol, and affordable ammo. Just be sure that you don't mix 7.65 x 25mm ammo up with 30 browning ammo and use it in a 30 browning pistol ( broom handle, etc) or your pistol will self destruct. Don't dry fire the cz 52 too much, it's got a britle firing pin. Overall two thumbs up, fun pistol.

Don't dry fire the CZ52 at all !!!
and order a new after market machined "tool steel" firing pin now.
the original cast metal firing pin can last a long time or they can
give up the ghost in a few rounds fired.

the firing pin is super easy to replace...there are youtube videos showing how easy it is.
Jon

Blacksmith
07-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Do you have a TC Contender? Change the barrel change the caliber so you can experiment till you find the one you like....or two...or three....or...

x101airborne
07-02-2012, 11:36 AM
+1 on the Contender.
handgun, rifle, black powder.... and I have heard rumors of small bore shotgun barrels, but havent seen one myself. (I havent really been looking)
They are more accurate than almost anything handgun I have shot yet. You can have all the punishment you want (45-70 14 inch) or as light as you want (22 hornet in cast). Shoot well and very sexy.

firefly1957
07-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Contender barrels are over priced for what we get I know the quality is high but think about what you get for just a barrel.

MT Gianni
07-02-2012, 01:11 PM
44 lever rifle.

41 mag fan
07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
No answers here. I get bored with a gun and/or caliber I put it up in the safe, buy another and start all over. I just don't sell or trade guns.

I've got guns i haven't shot or got out of their gunsocks in yrs. Worst they are doing is taking up safe space. But when and if I get an itch they are there, where I put them at last, and when I pull them out, they haven't cost me anymore money, than when I put them away, and in all actuality, they are probably worth more than when I put them away.

sharps4590
07-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Same school here 41 mag.

Heck, I don't know what to tell you....lol! If I want something different I usually go through my books or Double Gun Journal or slum around on line. For me there's always an obscure cartidge I may be familiar with but haven't worked with or a muzzleloader of some kind. If it's in a double rifle, unusual rifle or rifle/smoothbore combination, drilling or Cape gun so much the better. Black powder makes it even better. Handguns for me pretty much have to be revolvers but I've about exhausted them from the 1850's to the early 2000's, except for the really unusual, hard to find and expensive stuff.

troy_mclure
07-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Do you have a TC Contender? Change the barrel change the caliber so you can experiment till you find the one you like....or two...or three....or...

had an encore for a while, needed money and it was the least used at the time.