PDA

View Full Version : I got a new toy - 03A4

30CAL-TEXAN
07-01-2012, 12:05 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_130844fefc7b64e102.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5716)

I went to Cabela's last week and this thing followed me home! It is made by Rock Ridge Machine Works which I believe is the ones that are being sold by Creedmoor as well.

I had decided a while back that I really did want to get one of the recent repros of the 03A4 but I have read enough about them online that I really wanted to get up close and personal with one before forking over the cash to order one. Since no shop in town had any intention of putting one on the shelf I just shrugged it off as a pipe dream but low and behold they had one (and I mean exactly one) at Cabela's.

I don't know how long they have had it but judging by the argument/debate about how to do the paperwork on it, I am guessing it is the only one they have ever sold at that location.

They were debating on what to list as the manufacturer and model of the rifle - an interesting debacle in itself and to add to it the girl that was trying to complete all the forms didn't understand how a 70 year old rifle could be "new." Fortunately one of the guys there knew all about them and everyone at the gun bar got a little history lesson.

Well, I am off to the range in the morning to see if she shoots as good as she looks - I can't wait.

Jack Stanley
07-01-2012, 07:46 AM
I hope it does everything you want it to do , I'd love to hear how it shoots . I've seen some "vintage" snipers but never an A4 , so far none have really got me off the cash . Who knows ? anything can happen :grin:

Jack

beefan
07-01-2012, 05:32 PM
What Jack said, Sir. Load details, scope & mount arrangement, and pics would be good.

94ranger
07-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Is the scope a repro? How is the quality? I've heard the repro scopes are actually very nice.

30CAL-TEXAN
07-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Yes, the scope is a reproduction - as for the quality, that remains to be seen.

I took the rifle out on its first range outing and fired about 40 rounds through it. I started out at the 25 so that I could get it centered on the paper - mind you I have very little knowledge about scopes but this thing seemed to work exactly like it should as far as moving the adjustment knobs around to get the group where I wanted it. A few groups of three later I was right in the center so I moved out to the 100 yard target and fired 2 groups that I think were where they should have been and then it was all downhill from there - literally. The groups started dropping on the paper several inches at a time until I stopped shooting and stood up. When I tilted the rifle forward I heard something slide forward in the scope.

Ignorance Warning! I really don't know much about scopes but I assume there is a lens just forward of the reticle and this is what seems to have come loose and is sliding around in there. If the rifle is tilted back you can still get a focused picture through the scope but if you tilt it forward and it slides toward the front glass, it blurs way out of focus.

Now this rifle has the Malcolm Hi-lux scope on it, which as I understand is supposed to be the better of the reproductions that have recently been developed for these rifles. I have read nothing but good things about them thus far so I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and say that this may just be my wonderful luck and I got the bad apple.

I already contacted the manufacturer and they have responded with an RMA but I am a little displeased with their shipping arrangements so I am going to call them next week before I send it back but hopefully I can get a repair or replacement soon as I really want to get this thing slingin' lead.

It wasn't really the original intent of this thread, but I guess I will post updates on the customer service aspect of this deal as I go.

Jack Stanley
07-04-2012, 06:05 PM
It may not be the original intent but I do like to hear the good the bad and the ugly on new products . Also whether the company stands to making it right or not . I am sorry you got the bad apple . Other than the scope the rifle ran right and held group for a minute at least .

Jack

Multigunner
07-04-2012, 07:01 PM
If every scope was without hidden defects there would be no need for warranties.
How quickly the manufacturer responds will be the test.

As things are in todays world its to be expected that some dogs get past QC, Ruger would have bit the bullet 40 years ago if consumers had not already begun to accept that fact.

The scopes I've cleaned out and reassembled had a short tube with lenses in the center that the elevation and windage adjustment screws worked on. The oposing sides were supported by curved flat springs to resist the push of the adjustment screws.
If one of the curved springs is broken it could cause this sort of problem, and explain the rattle.

The original scopes the repros are based on were far from trouble free. An accurate repro would carry on the potential flaws as well as the good points.

frank505
07-05-2012, 09:50 PM
I sure love aperture sights on rifles...............................Hope it gets fixed and never causes you trouble again.

30CAL-TEXAN
07-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Well, my rifle now has a new scope on it and I hope to get it sighted in later this week or maybe this weekend. I received the new scope today; it looks good and more importantly it does not rattle!

As for the warranty process I will give them 3 out of 4 stars, maybe even 3-1/2 but not 4. Here is the entire process.

I notified the MFG of the problem via email on Saturday 06/30/12. I am a purchasing agent so I send things in for repair all the time - I know the drill. I included the model and serial number as well as information about the rifle’s manufacturer and where I got it from. I gave as detailed a description as I could of the failure and explained that it was a brand new setup on its first outing.

I received this form letter reply with an RMA on Monday 07/02/12
“Please write the RMA# XXXXXXXXXX under the ship to address Hi-Lux, Inc. 3135 Kashiwa St., Torrance, CA 90505. Include a $15 check made out to Hi-Lux, Inc. for return shipping, a copy of the original receipt, a brief description of any and all problems experienced with the scope, the best address for UPS delivery, and the best way to contact you (either phone or email). We will let you know once we receive the scope and any updates we receive from our tech. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Thank you,”

I was busy for a while so I did not get the thing shipped off to them until about 2 weeks later (so I was the hold up there) and the tracking info shows that the package was delivered to them on Friday 07/20/12.

I received a notice on Monday 07/23/12 that they received the package and would notify me as soon as their tech folks had evaluated it.

I received another email on 07/24/12 stating that they had sent me a new scope and the tracking number was attached.

Today, I received my new scope and it is now installed.

Star#1 – They replaced the scope! (I’m not really sure what their policy is but at least they replaced it).

Star#2 – Timing. These guys did a marvelous job getting the return taken care of quickly through every step.

Star#3 – Communication. They were good about the communication, I knew where my RMA was during the process and they provided the tracking info (it is surprising how many companies don’t)

Dud#4 – Shipping. If I were sending in a 10 year old product on a lifetime warranty claim I would be tickled just to have the work done and would have no problem paying the shipping both ways but that was not the case with this one. I think they could have at least taken care of the return shipping since this was a brand new item that broke the first time it was used.

As a separate shipping issue I was rather surprised by the lack of packing. I pack and ship things with the understanding that the guys in the brown truck will do everything in their power to destroy it. I am convinced that they are actually the training center for the Olympic shot-put team and the heavier the box the better for the chunking. My package arrived unharmed but as a company that makes and sells delicate instruments I would have expected much more – especially since I’m paying for it!

Well there you have it, the not so short account of my experiences – now back to the range!

madsenshooter
07-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Compared to the USPS, who delivered a Krag rifle to me in two pieces, the guys in the brown truck handle things with kit gloves. Some one would just about have to have stepped on the box with both ends supported to break that Krag at the wrist. If you have trouble with the scope again, I'd recommend a Lyman Alaskan. Only thing about these repro A4s I don't like is the fact that they are not legal for Cast Bullet Association matches, needs an original GI barrel.

ELFEGO BACA
07-31-2012, 10:12 PM
A few years ago i received a lever action rifle via UPS and the stock was broken at the wrist.

madsenshooter
08-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Must be a station they go through where a heavy fellow stomps on any boxes suspected of carrying firearms!