PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 94 AE Winchester chambered in 44 mag

Lizard333
06-30-2012, 07:58 PM
I am looking to add a scope on this rifle. I'll be honest, when it comes to scopes and rings and mounts, I am not the most intelligent. I am getting my Birthday Discount from Midway and thought this was a good time to make the purchase. My 94 AE is pre safety, and is already set up for a scope mount. So I hope no drilling will not be needed. Does anyone here have some recommendations. If Midway isn't the best place to get the stuff I need, please let me know.

Thanks!

signsrup
06-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Lizard,
I think Midway is a fine place to shop for the stuff you need. The first question you need to answer, is how much are you willing to spend on the scope?

The rings and mount are easy.

Lizard333
06-30-2012, 10:33 PM
I guess up to 500$. I try to buy stuff right the first time. This rifle is only going to be used on deer and pig, so I'm guessing it is only going to be shot out to 150 yards max.

244ack
07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
One problem I ran in to when putting a scope on my '94 in 44 mag was I ran out of verticle adjustment on my leupold scope. I had to use Burris signature rings with the offset inserts to get the elevation I needed. My rifle was the 94 legacy with the angle eject.

pietro
07-01-2012, 06:42 PM
It's easy to get carried away, overscope the rifle, and end up with an ungainly, poor handling rifle - the last thing anyone needs.

Looking at hunts up to 150yds - about the max for the .44Mag - I'd be leaning toward a good receiver peep sight or a ($195) Reflex sight (very small red dot) set up for a Weaver base.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/15569/filename/1894%20Burris%20right.jpg

http://images2.opticsplanet.com/755-405-ffffff/opplanet-burris-fastfire-w-picatinny-mount-4-moa-dot-mat-fastfire-sight-2.png

With a scope indicated, for whatever reason, I would suggest staying with a low-powered variable, like a Weaver Classic V-3 1-3x20 in Weaver rings. ($170)

http://images2.opticsplanet.com/755-405-ffffff/opplanet-weaver-rifle-scopes-v3-hunting-849400.png

While MidwayUSA is good for many things, I would order a scope from a dedicated optics dealer - of which there are several discount types online.

http://swfa.com/Riflescopes-C1443.aspx

http://www.opticsplanet.com/hunting-store.html

FergusonTO35
07-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Given the rifle's intended use and probable ranges, I would recommend either a reciever sight or compact variable scope. I had a Williams 5D on my old 94 and it was great, it screwed right into the rear scope mount holes. Skinner Sights in Montana is making some really sweet aperture sights for leverguns, don't know if they're making anything for Winchester though.

As far as scopes go, I think the most bang for the buck would be a gently used Bushnell Banner 2.5X20 in some decent aluminum mounts. These old Japan made scopes have great optics and are plenty tough. $30-40.00 should get you a really nice one from Fleabay or Gunbroker. If you want to spend more of your hard earned cash on a new scope, I have a Swift 1.5X5X20 on my Marlin .30-30 and its outstanding, around $100.00 new. Moving up in price, the Weaver V3 mentioned before is a great choice, as is the Leupold VXI 1-4X20.

Lonegun1894
07-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Keep in mind that I am prejudiced against scopes on leverguns, but considering how a good levergun handles, it would be a shame to ruin it by attaching all that weight and bulk up on top of it and throwing the handling and balance out the window. I would consider a aperture like has been suggested as it seems like a good performance upgrade if you aren't comfortable with the issue irons, without adding extra weight and bulk to the gun. Mine Winchesters are in .30-30, .357, and .45 Colt, and all handle great and shoot well out to at least the 150yd mark with the irons they came with. I haven't shot a .44 mag version, but would think it would be the same.

Lizard333
07-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Ok, here is what I'm thinking:

Weaver Classic V-Series rifle scope 1-3X 20 mm Dual-X reticle Matte product # 183610

Weaver #1 Grand Slam top mount rings product # 678112

Weaver 1 piece Grand Slam standard scope base 94 AE product # 316611

All from Midway.

Lizard333
07-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Lone gun 1894, I agree with you on my pre 64 guns about adding this kinda stuff on, but this is going to be a truck gun.

Lonegun1894
07-04-2012, 12:02 AM
If you're comfortable with glass on one, then I can see a purpose for your ideas. That being the case, I would say something with low magnification, but a fixed power due to variables being slightly more fragile and it sounds like your gun will get bounced around a bit. And that isn't talking trash about your driving by any means, just the vibrations from the engine, any bumps you drive over, etc, basically standard road conditions for all of us. I would say 4x or less, but with good clear glass, maybe a 4x32mm, mainly for the better light through a larger objective than a small 20mm. Then again, the 20s have probably (hopefully) improved since the last time I looked at them years ago. I'm curious as to what you end up with, but either way, make sure it makes you happy and not anyone else.

Iron Mike Golf
07-13-2012, 10:54 AM
+1 on the 32mm objective lens. That 12mm makes a world of difference early and late in the day and in the woods. At least to my eyes.