PDA

View Full Version : 12ga.

tbierley
06-30-2012, 07:55 PM
I have CVA SxS 12ga shotgun. I have had this shotgun for 20 yrs and never shot it. I would like to know the powder charge that I need to go with. I will try to post some pic later. Thanks

Dean D.
06-30-2012, 08:25 PM
The normally accepted rule of thumb for ML shotguns is to use the same measure for both shot and powder. You will have to fiddle with your measure to figure out how much shot it throws. I make my own to fit out of copper pipe and end caps. Here is a picture of a couple for my 10ga which throw 1 3/4oz and 1oz respectively:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/condercliffjumper/Reloading/powdermeasures002a.jpg

Mk42gunner
06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Read this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=2605

It should give you some good ideas.

Robert

Good Cheer
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
I use copper tube hammered flat on one end. Trimming the open end to suit or squishing the closed end some more are easy ways of adjusting the volume. If using two separate measures (one for powder and one for shot) then I put one lanyard hole through the flat part of the powder measure and a double hole on the shot measure. That way I know which goes 1st and which 2nd.

Nobade
07-01-2012, 07:58 AM
If you can find one, those old adjustable dippers are really handy. Made in Ireland, I believe. Someone gave me one years ago, and I never used it until I got a shotgun. I set it at 3 drams for normal shooting clay birds, etc. and 3 1/4 drams if I want more recoil. Doesn't seem to matter on the target though. This is in a 12 ga. Just as above, same amount of powder as shot. Makes it easy that way and it patterns great.

You can get your wads from Track 'O' the Wolf or directly from Circle Fly. Make sure you measure your bore diameter first, all 12 ga. shotguns aren't 12 ga. One I had used 13 ga. wads - might have been a CVA now that I think about it.

One neat thing about ML shotguns is being able to load it real light. Last time out we had a little girl with us. Her dad had loaded modern ammo for her, and she hated it. I let her try my ML shotgun loaded with 1 1/2 dram loads, and she had no problem with that. No recoil, and she didn't get beat up. Maybe we'll make a convert out of her yet!

John Taylor
07-01-2012, 09:46 AM
An old timer told me to load hot enough to penetrate both sides of a tin can. the shotgun I had was very light and hurt when I got to that point.

Crawdaddy
07-01-2012, 09:57 AM
I have one also. I took it dove hunting last year and had a blast. I used 80 grains of FF and 90 grains of shot. Both by volume, not weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DIRT Farmer
07-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Most gun shops can get the plastic Lee adjustable shot dippers around 4$. They are great to use while in load devolepement. It should shoot good with the dipper set at 7/8ths for powder, and 1 oz of shot. When you find the load, make perminate fixed mesures.

Those I have seen take true 12 ga wads, start with a card wad over powder, 1/2 of a fiber wad with lube. I use 45% bees wax, 45% crisco and 10% olive oil on mine.
Some times the cheap (figurativly) shot will lead the barrel. Use hard shot if you can get it.

sharps4590
07-02-2012, 07:06 AM
I have come to really like the Enlgish shot pouch with its adjustable measure. Once I got the loads worked out I made a powder measure from a horn tip to equal the shot charge in volume or a little less. I use it for 3 different smoothbores. For me I like it better than a dipper for shot.

Dean, those are clever dippers!!

Chicken Thief
07-02-2012, 02:10 PM
About 90-120grains of BP and equivalent volume of shot is max.

LUCKYDAWG13
07-02-2012, 06:32 PM
i use 110gr of powder 110 gr of shot in my 12ga Encore turkey barrel

twotoescharlie
07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
try a little less powder and a little more shot, will probably get better patterns. thick op wads tend to make holes in the shot pattern,
I use 3 thin card wads with a small hole punched in the edge and staggered over powder and 1 thin over shot wad in a 12 guage new englander. this might not work on a double.

TTC