PDA

View Full Version : Ranching, Farms, and our future food supply?

Just Duke
06-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Besides our place in OR & WA which we want to relocate from we have been all over the country looking at ranch and farms that seemed very overpriced as far as reality goes.
This is our typical find.
A fella that acquired a farm or ranch that had been pasted down now wants 1.5 mil. for it 3 hours from most metropolitan areas where a fella could see a movie or have a decent sit down dinner. [smilie=s:
1500K to 1800K and acre pretty much across the board anywhere we look and will not pay.
Now how many people have that much money and anyone with that much jingle is going to be 45 years plus old and be looking at buying a house on the golf course in Scottsdale AZ which I should be but I hate the game myself.
So the sellers target market is so slim that if it turned sideways it would disappear.
Research nets us most have been on the market 2 to 5 years.

We found this on a Gov. ranch/farm website. 75 percent of the farmers/ranchers out there are 55 years old plus the other 25 percent are 70 plus years old.

BTW OR and WA are the highest priced places on any and all real estate in the freakin galaxy.

Here's one MO has 9500 farms for sale. We get a list of 1800 new ones every Monday via email. Chiggers and ticks in Biblical proportions so that's a deal breaker.

So where are we going to get our food when as they say the populations going to double in the next ten years?
In lieu of future problems Barbie came to me a couple years ago and said she want to raise cows again and walked away. I never contested this. Moo

oneokie
06-30-2012, 08:13 PM
This is our typical find.
A fella that acquired a farm or ranch that had been pasted down now wants 1.5 mil. for it 3 hours from most metropolitan areas where a fella could see a movie or have a decent sit down dinner. [smilie=s:
1500K to 1800K and acre pretty much across the board an way anywhere we look and will not pay.
Now how many people have that much money and anyone with that much jingle is going to be 45 years plus old and be looking at buying a house on the golf course in Scottsdale AZ which I should be but I hate the game myself.
So the sellers target market is so slim that if it turned sideways it would disappear.
Research nets us most have been on the market 2 to 5 years.

We found this on a Gov. ranch/farm website. 75 percent of the farmers/ranchers out there are 55 years old plus the other 25 percent are 70 plus years old.

BTW OR and WA are the highest priced places on any and all real estate in the freakin galaxy.

Here's one MO has 9500 farms for sale. We get a list of 1800 new ones every Monday via email. Chiggers and ticks in Biblical proportions so that's a deal breaker.

So where we going to get our food when as they say the populations going to double in the next ten years?
In lieu of future Barbie came to me a couple years ago and said she want to raise cows again and walked away. I never contested this. Moo

Duke, you are in a catch 22 with wanting to find reasonably priced real estate within reasonable communting distance of a metropolitian area with social amenities.

Many of us older farmers/ranchers have invested any profits back into the business hoping that at some time we can cash out and have enough left after taxes to live out our remaining years in some comfort.

As to your question about food; He who controls the food controls the population

gsdelong
06-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Take a look at southern Indiana. Around Columbus Indiana. Right on 65 hour north indianapolis hour south louisville, ky 1 1/2 hour south east cincinnati . Lots of farm land not all flat.

5shotbfr
06-30-2012, 08:35 PM
i think you are going to find out that $1500-1800 an acre is pretty darn cheap , unless you want high desert land with no water

here in n/e ohio those are 1985 prices .. farm land here will run you roughly 5-6 k an acre minimum due to a recent gas lease boom

Just Duke
06-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Many of us older farmers/ranchers have invested any profits back into the business hoping that at some time we can cash out and have enough left after taxes to live out our remaining years in some comfort.

I can surely understand that only someone would have to have the money and the desire to ranch. Ranching is a hard life and many and most of the world would take the path of least resistance.

Just Duke
06-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Here's one we mostly find across the states 75 percent of the time.
Bert and Gertrude have past and left there place to Biff and Buffy.
The first thing most kids do is get off the farm. Don't blame them as most don't get paid.
Biff and Buffy have gone to college and work in a hoighty toighty office cubical, drive there Volvo Station Wagons to happy hour at the trendy watering hole and want NOTHING! to do with the farm/ranch other than sell it and retire early in life drinking there livers away.
If they don't get the price they want for it they won't sell. It sits and sits and sits.
Then the vandals and vagrants take over. We've seen them stripped of all copper plumbing and wire, bathroom/kitchen fixtures, kitchen cabinets, all the windows broken out and filled with rain water, horse stall doors stolen, carpet, camp fires on the living room floor tile.
Again, they can ask what they want but unless someone wants to pay that much or live that lifestyle then it won't ever sell.
Anyway in the mean time were running out of food producers and fast.

Just Duke
06-30-2012, 08:54 PM
i think you are going to find out that $1500-1800 an acre is pretty darn cheap , unless you want high desert land with no water

here in n/e ohio those are 1985 prices .. farm land here will run you roughly 5-6 k an acre minimum due to a recent gas lease boom

Here's JUST one website
Ohio Land for Sale - 1,624 Properties
http://www.landandfarm.com/search/Ohio-land-for-sale/

Just Duke
06-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Texas Land for Sale - 23,810 Properties
http://www.landandfarm.com/search/Texas-land-for-sale/

Just Duke
06-30-2012, 08:59 PM
California Land for Sale - 5,947 Properties
http://www.landandfarm.com/search/California-land-for-sale/

jcwit
06-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Anyway in the mean time were running out of food producers and fast.

Well, there's always china.

Don't believe it, check country of orgin on the packages at the grocery now.

chambers
06-30-2012, 09:59 PM
In Wisconsin premium land is $6K to 10K per acrea of farmland, recreational land is about $3K, taxes on recrreational(swamp land) is ridiculous. Watched two large parcels of land being sold, big mega farmers can't buy/spend enough!

Finster101
06-30-2012, 10:22 PM
It's a damn shame. Farm life for most has become far too little profit for the amount of work for most people. My Mom grew up on a farm that supported her and her 12 siblings. They did not have a lot of cash but, they never went hungry and always had a roof over their heads. We may be headed back to that before we know it. Hope you have enough land to support you and your family. Money in pocket is not much good with no where to spend it and your stomach is growling. Sorry if I am off topic. Most people have no clue as to what it takes to get food to the table. I do. The big corps. have been gobbling it up for years and the small farmer is near non-existent these days.

AnnieOakley
06-30-2012, 10:27 PM
In my humble opinion, the very best we can do, is our very best! We currently have a Community Garden at our church that is a little over a 1/4 of an acre. We started planting in April with sweet corn, cabbage, potatoes, onions, squash, zucchini, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, okra, watermelon, cantaloupe, herbs, sunflowers, and now sweet potatoes. Since our garden began we have harvested over 1300 pounds of fresh produce that has gone straight into the hands of those that need it. Our harvest has only just begun!

Yes times are hard, and yes things look bad within our government, but all that we can really control is how we respond to it. Plant a garden, learn to can or continue canning, share the wealth and teach your children and your neighbors. That to me, is doing our best under the circumstances.

Food prices are so high because in most cases food does not travel directly from the farmer to the consumer. If you can't grow your own food, find a local producer that might give the younger generation of farmers a chance to succeed and be able to stay on the farm.

We have our own garden and raise our own chickens and pork here on the farm. We are also overrun with white tailed deer. My inlaws also raise sheep and cattle. I haven't had to buy meat in the store for well over a year. What a blessing!! BTW we are located in Western Kentucky.

It says in the Bible "do not fear" 365 times, one for every day of the year. I know that things look bad around us, but fear does us no good. We just have to keep on truckin' and doing the best that we can!

Love and Blessings
Annie Oakley

Freightman
06-30-2012, 10:51 PM
in my humble opinion, the very best we can do, is our very best! We currently have a community garden at our church that is a little over a 1/4 of an acre. We started planting in april with sweet corn, cabbage, potatoes, onions, squash, zucchini, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, okra, watermelon, cantaloupe, herbs, sunflowers, and now sweet potatoes. Since our garden began we have harvested over 1300 pounds of fresh produce that has gone straight into the hands of those that need it. Our harvest has only just begun!

Yes times are hard, and yes things look bad within our government, but all that we can really control is how we respond to it. Plant a garden, learn to can or continue canning, share the wealth and teach your children and your neighbors. That to me, is doing our best under the circumstances.

Food prices are so high because in most cases food does not travel directly from the farmer to the consumer. If you can't grow your own food, find a local producer that might give the younger generation of farmers a chance to succeed and be able to stay on the farm.

We have our own garden and raise our own chickens and pork here on the farm. We are also overrun with white tailed deer. My inlaws also raise sheep and cattle. I haven't had to buy meat in the store for well over a year. What a blessing!! Btw we are located in western kentucky.

It says in the bible "do not fear" 365 times, one for every day of the year. I know that things look bad around us, but fear does us no good. We just have to keep on truckin' and doing the best that we can!

Love and blessings
annie oakley
amen!

Just Duke
06-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Here's one for you,
Every human body is toting around 13 gallons of clean purified water in them that needs constant and continued replenishing.
In ten years the population will double. At the present we only producing enough for 1/3 more people.

Bad Water Bill
06-30-2012, 11:10 PM
And even if you inherited the farm the government will come in and set a value on every item on the farm including the land and all structures.

Not sure just how much you can inherit before the 55% tax kicks in.

With the price of the land being so high it does not take many acres to go over the limit. Now you have to find someone to float you a loan so you and yours can keep the farm that has been in the family for possibly 200 years or BIG BROTHER will kick you off of the farm.

Just Duke
06-30-2012, 11:10 PM
It says in the Bible "do not fear" 365 times, one for every day of the year. I know that things look bad around us, but fear does us no good.
Love and Blessings
Annie Oakley

In my world if something is broken I fix it. Biblical proficiency will not repair a truck with a blown motor, repair a hole in a dam or feed millions.

Greed in this country is feeding at the base of a house of cards.

Just Duke
06-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Not sure just how much you can inherit before the 55% tax kicks in.

lol Not here!
And they ask me why we live in NV and WA. ;)

Frank46
06-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Duke, its just about the same here in Louisiana. Old farmers hope to sell and live out their lives in comfort. Never a shortage in prospective buyers. Sugar cane, corn, soy beans, rice. those are the major crops. If they can't buy the property then they lease it out and split parts of the money between owner and leasee. That's how our gun club is paying off the mortgage. Frank

tomme boy
06-30-2012, 11:45 PM
8.5K-9K/ acre here. Old Ladies parents have over 500 acres of tillable land. If something ever happens to them she would have to sell as we would never be able to afford the farm to be given to us.

waksupi
07-01-2012, 12:20 AM
You might look for timber lands. If you find a place with a good stand, you can sell timber, and get back a good amount of the purchase price. When timber prices were high, people bought a lot of land around here, selective logged it, and paid it off in full.

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 12:32 AM
You might look for timber lands. If you find a place with a good stand, you can sell timber, and get back a good amount of the purchase price. When timber prices were high, people bought a lot of land around here, selective logged it, and paid it off in full.

Checked into that many times. The land has to be stumped with a D9 or D11 and the stumps hauled off then root raked. Then has to be cleared of rocks and the soil sweetened with lime etc.
2 to 3 years before any good for anything. You'd be looking at 30K per 100 acre but thanks.

MT Gianni
07-01-2012, 12:37 AM
In Montana Ranches are marketed to the wealthy as a playground. Realtors tell them to expect to loose 10% annually until it is sold as their "tax" to play here. If it has timber and water it sells fairly quickly. Most Ranchers work 76 hr weeks per a friend of mine that is active in the business. A young man wanting to ranch today goes to school to be a Ranch Manager for someone else. He works less hours and is often paid more than if he ran it for himself as he can have a 401K and benefits.
Another acquaintance buys and sells small ranches. He averages 10%-25% gain on each one. He and his wife both work 70 Hrs a week, his wife works outside the home for 40 hrs a week as well for her total. I don't think either of them could tell you the names of 5 current TV shows or movies from the last 3 years.
Grain growers have as much equipment overhead as they do land. I watched a tractor being set up to pull a no till drill and fertilizing equipment last year. Price on it all ran around $500,000.
I believe that Americas agriculture is in great shape and going well, unfortunately it isn't for amateurs, myself included.

runfiverun
07-01-2012, 01:34 AM
it is the big commercial outfits turning the profits over in many places here also.
the next valley over has about 3 bigger outfits,and 2 family outfits.
there was three till the old man died.
one of the two won't last much longer.
and the second is about a generation away from splitting the place up amongst the kids,
who will promptly turn it over to one of the bigger outfits.
one of the bigger outfits is in a family trust and is actually run quite well.
even if they are not liked by the other family's in the valley.

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 07:29 AM
In Montana Ranches are marketed to the wealthy as a playground. Realtors tell them to expect to loose 10% annually until it is sold as their "tax" to play here. If it has timber and water it sells fairly quickly. Most Ranchers work 76 hr weeks per a friend of mine that is active in the business. A young man wanting to ranch today goes to school to be a Ranch Manager for someone else. He works less hours and is often paid more than if he ran it for himself as he can have a 401K and benefits.
*Another acquaintance buys and sells small ranches. He averages 10%-25% gain on each one. He and his wife both work 70 Hrs a week, his wife works outside the home for 40 hrs a week as well for her total. I don't think either of them could tell you the names of 5 current TV shows or movies from the last 3 years.*
*Grain growers have as much equipment overhead as they do land. I watched a tractor being set up to pull a no till drill and fertilizing equipment last year. Price on it all ran around $500,000.*
*I believe that Americas agriculture is in great shape and going well, unfortunately it isn't for amateurs, myself included.

I believe it's going down the tubes.
Anyone can move beyond amateur if they apply themselves and not use it as an excuse to be sedentary like my lazy neighbors drinking there retirements away and watching the idiot box. Yes I'm very sure the shoulders of the fabricators of this country I'm standing on never used the word amateur, maybe and can't or owned a $50K tractor. Also does the words Monsanto get mention during the four year college duration? If so it does it would not be applicable to a couple who want to own a small organic cow ranch that has been paid for in cash.

I chortle at a 72 hour work week.The wife and I run 18 hours a day 7 days a week and still manage to squeeze in a 10 mile mountain bike ride most every day. As most know here I always have to have a project. If I don't have one, I will create one. If I die at least it won't be from being lazy. Besides I'm real short on completing my projects and will be searching for others while my vision holds out.

Montana would not be in my top 20 area's to look due to soil quality, brutal winters and lack of rain. Just about every place we looked gets 40" plus including the 45" to 60" inches in the I-5 corridor. The I-5 corridor is host to the finest soil on the planet....... Other places that follow that we looked and had decent pricing was Up State NY by the St Lawrence, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vermont and some country called Nu-Hamp-Cha as the real estate agent told where we were. The prices were FANTASTIC! as well as the taxes but we found the indigenous personnel different from what were used to along with some states having brutal winters . VT has nut-so personal property taxes. NY CA and TX had theeeee worst gun laws. The largest amount of cattle as a whole now reside in of all places, Florida.

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Just for the record we have been looking at pasture as in pasture for cows and not row crop farming with tillable acreage.
I should have put this in the first post.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-01-2012, 07:57 AM
My area, McLeod County, MN
is only 60 miles west of downtown MPLS,
and 30 miles from seriously big development,
it would have been here by now if it weren't for the housing bubble busting.

McLeod County has some of the finest crop land in the country,
mostly flat, top soil is 3' to 6' deep and we have good rainfall.
the land will grow all the popular crops without irrigation.
there are lots of creeks and sloughs...but many have been tiled (drainage tile that is).

Taxes are fairly low.
If tillable land goes up for sale, for $5k or less per acre, it sells in less than 30 days.
if the price is near $6K, it may sit for a while, unless it's tiled-then sells quick.
I haven't seen $7K on the open market, but you never know what happens
in private deals for a nice prime piece with creek frontage or such.
This doesn't take into effect land close to a town that may have housing development
capabilities...quadruple my figures for those.
Jon

PS. just seen your recent post...I don't believe there is any pasture left in McLeod county...if there is, it's in small pieces, like 40 acres or less. and probably goes for more $$$
I know of 2 sheep ranches...I'm thinking their pasture was plow ground or surely could be in the future...both of those a probably around 300 acres each.

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 08:28 AM
My area, McLeod County, MN
is only 60 miles west of downtown MPLS,
and 30 miles from seriously big development,
it would have been here by now if it weren't for the housing bubble busting.

McLeod County has some of the finest crop land in the country,
mostly flat, top soil is 3' to 6' deep and we have good rainfall.
the land will grow all the popular crops without irrigation.
there are lots of creeks and sloughs...but many have been tiled (drainage tile that is).

Taxes are fairly low.
If tillable land goes up for sale, for $5k or less per acre, it sells in less than 30 days.
if the price is near $6K, it may sit for a while, unless it's tiled-then sells quick.
I haven't seen $7K on the open market, but you never know what happens
in private deals for a nice prime piece with creek frontage or such.
This doesn't take into effect land close to a town that may have housing development
capabilities...quadruple my figures for those.
Jon

PS. just seen your recent post...I don't believe there is any pasture left in McLeod county...if there is, it's in small pieces, like 40 acres or less. and probably goes for more $$$
I know of 2 sheep ranches...I'm thinking their pasture was plow ground or surely could be in the future...both of those a probably around 300 acres each.

We did so internet poking around up that way and found the same prices.

Not bad.
http://www.bestplaces.net/climate/county/minnesota/mcleod

McLeod County, MN, gets 28 inches of rain per year. The US average is 37. Snowfall is 40 inches. The average US city gets 25 inches of snow per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 84.

On average, there are 199 sunny days per year in McLeod County, MN. The July high is around 84 degrees. The January low is 2. Our comfort index, which is based on humidity during the hot months, is a 48 out of 100, where higher is more comfortable. The US average on the comfort index is 44.

Barbie told me her GF emailed her and said it was 20 below for a week and a half this winter. Is that normal for you guys?

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 08:50 AM
it is the big commercial outfits turning the profits over in many places here also.
the next valley over has about 3 bigger outfits,and 2 family outfits.
there was three till the old man died.
one of the two won't last much longer.
and the second is about a generation away from splitting the place up amongst the kids,
who will promptly turn it over to one of the bigger outfits.
one of the bigger outfits is in a family trust and is actually run quite well.
even if they are not liked by the other family's in the valley.

Here's a few more they might also like.
Idaho Land for Sale - 2,001 Properties
http://www.landandfarm.com/search/Idaho-land-for-sale/

I could get some from these guys. They might be selling land deeds at Walmart like they do with the rest of there shipped in products. HERE (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?297597-Idaho-Governor-Selling-His-State-to-the-Chinese) Just the messenger by the way. ;)

Bret4207
07-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Well Duke, you already looked in the St Lawrence Valley. That's probably the cheapest farm land you'll find, always has been. But the taxes are tough and no, there's no Las Vegas showgirls roaming the Savealot. Sorry that's the trade off.

jcwit
07-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Amish fo;lks in my area manage to make a living on small farms in my area. Thats farms of 15 to 300 acres. And they're raising 4 to 8 kids or more. Course I doubt you'd like their style of farming let along their way of life.

It is true some also work outside the farm also, but many also do not.

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Well Duke, you already looked in the St Lawrence Valley. That's probably the cheapest farm land you'll find, always has been. But the taxes are tough and no, there's no Las Vegas showgirls roaming the Savealot. Sorry that's the trade off.

As far as the Las Vegas Show girls and I'm not really sure how that's relevant to this topic but I have not seen one in 12 years except at a show and they were just OK :coffee:. Is this the way most see Vegas? A good amount of Las Vegas's population is from NY and NJ. "YouknowwhatI'msayin". Folks just south of you run all those girlie shows.
I just vacation down here. I have never considered it my home. <ick!>
The no AR's or 20/30 round magazines is pretty much a deal breaker for us in St Lawrence.
I thought I had you on my ignore list? huh?
There! that's better. :)

Lloyd Smale
07-01-2012, 11:12 AM
if you have the money to burn and want to hobby farm with your retirement money thats one thing but Ive got a buddy who farmed all his life. His farm was handed down from his father. He has no kids and wanted to retire. He told me many times that theres no way a man can buy a farm right now by financing it and make a go. For a good example since he sold his farm 7 years ago its been resold 3 times. City people comming up and thinking there going to make it and loose everything theyve saved and the bank gets it back and sells it to another dreamer. Small farms are about dead in this country. Either you inheret a huge farm or ranch or you dont make money. We get some farmers up here from indiana and ohio that i used to snowmobile with. they had big money. Big farms that have been in the family. Its sad but its like you said. Farms are going under every day in this country.

runfiverun
07-01-2012, 12:35 PM
many of those are rediculous waterfront/miniranch property's meant as summer homes.
real land is in the 1500 an acre range.
we bought a 5 bedroom 2 bath house on 22 acres for 114k. not too long ago.
and could have bought the field next door [under alfalfa] for a reasonable amount. [@ 1k per acre]
but unfortunatly without water.
water is the real commodity out west not the land.

AnnieOakley
07-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Other places that follow that we looked and had decent pricing was Up State NY by the St Lawrence, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vermont and some country called Nu-Hamp-Cha as the real estate agent told where we were. The prices were FANTASTIC! as well as the taxes but we found the indigenous personnel different from what were used to along with some states having brutal winters . VT has nut-so personal property taxes. NY CA and TX had theeeee worst gun laws. The largest amount of cattle as a whole now reside in of all places, Florida.[/QUOTE]

Hey there, Mr. Nukem, I'm an educated woman from Kentucky and I've lived in several other states West of the Mississippi. Kentucky is a beautiful state, with some really nice people. I loved living out west, but nothing compares to My Old Kentucky Home!

In regards to your cattle numbers, the largest population of cattle reside in Texas, not Florida. Florida ranks 11th in the nation.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/states/florida_info.html

Bad Water Bill
07-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Hi Annie Oakley

Welcome to our happy home.

shdwlkr
07-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Well Duke
I am like you looking for land and a place to call my own, but I will be in Idaho no matter what as family reasons keep me here. I know you don't like here because you have to pay for water but then it is how it has been for a very long time here think since the late 1860's. They are the best water rights also.
I have gone from 300 acres down to around 50 and I have found a few that meet my needs and now to figure out which is best for my needs.

land that is useful for working whether to gaze cattle on or grow crops is commanding a huge price.
I know of a place in NY that has 75 acres and a 6 year old energy efficient house on it and the house is around 5000 sf but just sits there.

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Well Duke
I am like you looking for land and a place to call my own, but I will be in Idaho no matter what as family reasons keep me here. I know you don't like here because you have to pay for water but then it is how it has been for a very long time here think since the late 1860's. They are the best water rights also.
I have gone from 300 acres down to around 50 and I have found a few that meet my needs and now to figure out which is best for my needs.

land that is useful for working whether to gaze cattle on or grow crops is commanding a huge price.
I know of a place in NY that has 75 acres and a 6 year old energy efficient house on it and the house is around 5000 sf but just sits there.

I understand that you have family there. Annual rainfall looks to be 16 inches. http://www.betweenwaters.com/etc/usrain.html
Yes we have looked in Idaho. Canal irrigation and very pricey sprinklers might be fine for some, but are all dependent in a crumbling infrastructure. It also takes a human to operate the locks to feed the canals and inordinate amounts of electricity to run pumps for sprinklers systems. To all that this may apply to enjoy the power coming to your homes as we are told by the locals the power lines that cross one of our properties in OR will surely be taken down if the greenies get there way they want to remove Columbia River Dams. In OR the greenies always get their way. Same thing in Northern CA where we looked. Hoover dam is on the verge of shutting down in 2013 due to lack of water. If I had smidgen of faith in the system I surely would have not joined this forum 6 years ago to learn more about bullet casting and secure my food supply with them and looking at ranch/farm land. Heck I would be down at the local music shop ordering the latest cool painted Jackson Guitar with a snake skin paint job. . Most out there will understand this but there are those that will pound there fist on the deck and say "This will not happen because I don't want it to happen! Matter of fact I command it not to happen just because I said so".
I respectfully understand the fella that has to make living on his land to pay for it.
For us the place will be paid in full before we ever set and if we even sold one rock off the place for 5 bucks, that's still 5 bucks more than I had the year before. If I needed to make a pocket full of jingle I would just show up HERE (http://www.ga-asi.com/) and go to work with my my two school buddies that keep bugging me and I am SO OVER my model airplane phase.

Does the 85 percent of the elk population reduction due to the GOV reintroduction in N ID still exist? Did the 50 sq. miles to China deal mature?

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Hey there, Mr. Nukem, I'm an educated woman from Kentucky and I've lived in several other states West of the Mississippi. Kentucky is a beautiful state, with some really nice people. I loved living out west, but nothing compares to My Old Kentucky Home!

In regards to your cattle numbers, the largest population of cattle reside in Texas, not Florida. Florida ranks 11th in the nation.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/states/florida_info.html

Was this posted before the devastating drought that has just on this one website close to 24,000 ranches/farms for sale.

Thank you for submitting your resume Miss Oakley we will take it in consideration.
Kentucky does have some great deals and the people were really really nice with plenty of water and close to Nashville entertainment if you like country music and sports. (not my genre of music or passive entertainment.) We did though almost need an interpreter while discussing land opportunities but found this was more of a geographic anomaly if you know what I mean. ;) We would just look at each other. lol
This is what all of the realtor have told us. If I go out in tall grass I would sure come back covered in chiggers and ticks if your not covered in bug spray. :holysheep
Do you concur?
Barbie said, these are some smokin deals but let's looks at some other area's. I'm sure you know what I'm saying here.
We have 10 or so good deals like this one http://www.landandfarm.com/property/_362.61_Acre_Farm-530803/

shdwlkr
07-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Duke
One reason I am looking at the places I am looking at now, they are flood irrigation no pumps, yes there are locks to be opened and closed but that is ok. The water is diverted from the Snake so again no power needed. Will it always be so, good question as no one knows what the future will bring except more issues.
My place will be paid for same as you before I step foot on it, all equipment will be paid for before it hits the place also. If the water canal dries up I will be a dry land farmer.

At my age I don't want anymore bills than I have to have. Looking at solar/wind power for the place as I don't want an electric bill, looking at putting in a wood stove for heat and cooking. Yep may even go back to coal oil lamps for light. Does that mean I will not have a refrigerator or freezer or computer or tv nope just means I will be smarter on what I use and how I use it.

I don't care if all the place can do is support and feed me as it is doing what I need it to do and what more can we ask of the land?

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Duke
One reason I am looking at the places I am looking at now, they are flood irrigation no pumps, yes there are locks to be opened and closed but that is ok. The water is diverted from the Snake so again no power needed. Will it always be so, good question as no one knows what the future will bring except more issues.
My place will be paid for same as you before I step foot on it, all equipment will be paid for before it hits the place also. If the water canal dries up I will be a dry land farmer.

At my age I don't want anymore bills than I have to have. Looking at solar/wind power for the place as I don't want an electric bill, looking at putting in a wood stove for heat and cooking. Yep may even go back to coal oil lamps for light. Does that mean I will not have a refrigerator or freezer or computer or tv nope just means I will be smarter on what I use and how I use it.

I don't care if all the place can do is support and feed me as it is doing what I need it to do and what more can we ask of the land?

Well said sir. :bigsmyl2: PM sent
I have an idea where your at and you should be just fine. We looked there also. Looks like your somewhere between Weiser and West Nampa in the predominant row crop area.
Very few trees. Being a wood guy I really need trees.

429421Cowboy
07-01-2012, 08:50 PM
You seem to be pretty well set on the "Goldielocks" situation, cheap land, mild winters, good people, lots of rainfall, gun-friendly laws and maybe high cattle prices too, but the reality of the lifestyle is that nothing is perfect sad to say!

Brutal winters make for harder calving and more feeding, but depending on where you land here you can manage to find a reasonable meduim. However land prices in this country are ungodly and make starting a ranch near impossible without being willing to pay recreation prices for agricultural ground. Also with the cattle market where it is right now it would be a tough time to look to pick up a whole herd without paying through the nose, unless you intend to bring your own cattle already.

Now days it is cheaper to slowly buy the place from ma and pa than it is to inherit it, we would lose half the ranch if that happened. The future of ag in the US is at a turning point right now, with no one wanting to work that hard after they have gotten away from the ranch/farm for awhile. Right now my twin brother intends to take over the ranch straight out of college after animal science and business programs. I intend to continue to ranch while also finishing college as a Game Warden. Miss K and i were talking about our long term plan here recently and we don't think it would be the worst thing to take a live on job as a ranch manager after school, it's still production ag but with the money to actually do something with it backing the operation.

429421Cowboy
07-01-2012, 08:52 PM
checked into that many times. The land has to be stumped with a d9 or d11 and the stumps hauled off then root raked. Then has to be cleared of rocks and the soil sweetened with lime etc.
2 to 3 years before any good for anything. You'd be looking at 30k per 100 acre but thanks.

tnstafl...

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 09:04 PM
You seem to be pretty well set on the "Goldielocks" situation, cheap land, mild winters, good people, lots of rainfall, gun-friendly laws and maybe high cattle prices too,
Why not I'm paying for it. Besides did you get to pick where you live or did you parents?

CLAYPOOL
07-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Look around Southern Illinois. Look at small farms, etc. Most of the old people here now that are driving up land prices went up "North" to way northern illinois and got jobs 30 -50 years ago. now selling out and moving home. they build up old house, put up pole sheds, ponds, etc. Then sickness or old age gets them. Waited too long to come back. Went to an action this Sat and the old man must ahve been a WW II vet as he had lots of .30 cal. + >30-06 stuff. Stole all of his guns while in the hospital. Nice place back off of main road....

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 09:37 PM
I guess I should post the good deals as a control and re-edited some of my posts.
Man O Man those East coaster really no how to build home.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3957-Rippleton-Rd-Cazenovia-NY-13035/30828501_zpid/

Here's big parcel but wouldn't hold all wifey's junk.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5263-Deuel-Rd-Honeoye-NY-14471/31880683_zpid/

I would take anyone of these. Not sure if I could convince wifey to live in the snow.
For me...... I would just build lots and lots of dog sleds again. AAAAHHHH!!! I still have my firehose laminating moulds too. OOOHHHH AAAHHHH <I'm in my happy place> One cedar tree and I could build canoes all winter OOOHHH AAAAHHH
I could not bring in any of our AR-15's, M-14's, <sad face> No CCW's or open carry either.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/st-lawrence-new-york_rb/#/homes/for_sale/fsba,fsbo,new_lt/house,land_type/0-800000_price/0-2888_mp/1900-_size/lot_sort/44.184174,-73.693542,41.834781,-82.383728_rect/7_zm/1_fr/

Check out this bad boy. That's just fruit rottening on the vine. http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3957-Rippleton-Rd-Cazenovia-NY-13035/30828501_zpid/
I could build funiture all winter for it. The move would be around $14,000 though. OUCH!

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Look around Southern Illinois. Look at small farms, etc. Most of the old people here now that are driving up land prices went up "North" to way northern illinois and got jobs 30 -50 years ago. now selling out and moving home. they build up old house, put up pole sheds, ponds, etc. Then sickness or old age gets them. Waited too long to come back. Went to an action this Sat and the old man must ahve been a WW II vet as he had lots of .30 cal. + >30-06 stuff. Stole all of his guns while in the hospital. Nice place back off of main road....

Yes Southern IL has some great deals!!!!! Do you guys have CCW's or open carry just curious?

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 10:00 PM
tnstafl...

I believe this is an acronym in all lower case lettering commonly used by the young kids for texting .
I don't text or have a cell phone but I will attempt to de-crypt it for the older fellas like myself.

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."
I am quite sure I have never used this phrase to the owner of a company I was running for them.

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Amish fo;lks in my area manage to make a living on small farms in my area. Thats farms of 15 to 300 acres. Course I doubt you'd like their style of farming let along their way of life.

I have admired their way of farming since I was a youth and followed their construction techniques to this day. The wife and I have eye oogled many a horse drawn impliments on local Craig's Lists that are screaming to be sandblasted, have wear parts re-bushinged, heavy bodied primer and a slick paint job. Also we have looked at some JD's that could really need to come home with us for the same treatment along with implements scattered about the local area's. You have no idea what green and yellow would look like with fresh PPG paint. Breath taking.
I fantasize about more projects. I'm waiting on epoxy to cure as we speak for 45 28"X20" parts drawers. Ask me for a pic if you want.
Oh! Forgot to say I do a few projects here and there. Anybody seen them?
As far as lifestyles goes I would respectfully say that is their choice and not applicable to our ventures nor does it parallel our religious posture.

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 10:55 PM
if you have the money to burn and want to hobby farm with your retirement money thats one thing but Ive got a buddy who farmed all his life. His farm was handed down from his father. He has no kids and wanted to retire. He told me many times that theres no way a man can buy a farm right now by financing it and make a go. For a good example since he sold his farm 7 years ago its been resold 3 times. City people comming up and thinking there going to make it and loose everything theyve saved and the bank gets it back and sells it to another dreamer. Small farms are about dead in this country. Either you inheret a huge farm or ranch or you dont make money. We get some farmers up here from indiana and ohio that i used to snowmobile with. they had big money. Big farms that have been in the family. Its sad but its like you said. Farms are going under every day in this country.

This is so true and thanks LLoyd.

KYCaster
07-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Was this posted before the devastating drought that has just on this one website close to 24,000 ranches/farms for sale.

Thank you for submitting your resume Miss Oakley we will take it in consideration.
Kentucky does have some great deals and the people were really really nice with plenty of water and close to Nashville entertainment if you like country music and sports. (not my genre of music or passive entertainment.) We did though almost need an interpreter while discussing land opportunities but found this was more of a geographic anomaly if you know what I mean. ;) We would just look at each other. lol
This is what all of the realtor have told us. If I go out in tall grass I would sure come back covered in chiggers and ticks if your not covered in bug spray. :holysheep
Do you concur?

Barbie said, these are some smokin deals but let's looks at some other area's. I'm sure you know what I'm saying here.
We have 10 or so good deals like this one http://www.landandfarm.com/property/_362.61_Acre_Farm-530803/

Ahhhhhh..........chiggers and ticks! If it weren't for those demons this really would be heaven!

If that's your only objection to KY then don't sweat it, they're simple enough to deal with. Keep the weeds and fence rows under control and proper pest controls on your animals and ticks aren't a big problem. A shower within three or four hours of exposure will wash away the chiggers. They're gone with the first frost, usually late September and don't show up again till April.

A friend of mine has a place near Shelbyville. I don't know if he still has it listed with an agent, but I'm sure he'd be interested in an offer. About 90 acres IIRC, some pasture, some tillable ground, some woods. A four bedroom, three bath log house with full basement and office. (His "little cabin in the woods")

10 min from I64, 30 min to Louisville, 45 min to Lexington, 2 hrs to Cincinnati.

If it's something you might be interested in, PM me your contact info and I'll relay it to him.

Jerry

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-01-2012, 11:08 PM
McLeod County, MN, gets 28 inches of rain per year. The US average is 37. Snowfall is 40 inches. The average US city gets 25 inches of snow per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 84.

On average, there are 199 sunny days per year in McLeod County, MN. The July high is around 84 degrees. The January low is 2. Our comfort index, which is based on humidity during the hot months, is a 48 out of 100, where higher is more comfortable. The US average on the comfort index is 44.

Barbie told me her GF emailed her and said it was 20 below for a week and a half this winter. Is that normal for you guys?

It is common to get cold fronts to move through and have a few mornings in a row where the low temp is -20ºF or colder. That's no big deal, it usually gets above 0ºF during the day.

I don't think it was last winter...But the winter before, we got a long stretch
of days that never got above 0ºF ...maybe 20 days ? but that is rare, like maybe once in three years type of event. Those really suck, the frost on the house windows gets real thick and cars/trucks decide they don't want to startup anymore and diesel fuel turns to gel.

But you get use to it...that's why, in late winter/early spring you'll see MN kids play hockey outside in Tee shirts on the first sunny 35ºF days.

Just Duke
07-01-2012, 11:31 PM
It is common to get cold fronts to move through and have a few mornings in a row where the low temp is -20ºF or colder. That's no big deal, it usually gets above 0ºF during the day.

I don't think it was last winter...But the winter before, we got a long stretch
of days that never got above 0ºF ...maybe 20 days ? but that is rare, like maybe once in three years type of event. Those really suck, the frost on the house windows gets real thick and cars/trucks decide they don't want to startup anymore and diesel fuel turns to gel.

But you get use to it...that's why, in late winter/early spring you'll see MN kids play hockey outside in Tee shirts on the first sunny 35ºF days.

I remember CO winters running 20 below for 2 weeks in 1989 and split many a pipes.
You would see frozen waterfalls glisading from 14 story Apt. complexes. I almost broke out my Hummingbird ice axes, ice screws, Koflach's Chouinard crampons and ascended the building

Just Duke
07-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Ahhhhhh..........chiggers and ticks! If it weren't for those demons this really would be heaven!

If that's your only objection to KY then don't sweat it, they're simple enough to deal with. Keep the weeds and fence rows under control and proper pest controls on your animals and ticks aren't a big problem. A shower within three or four hours of exposure will wash away the chiggers. They're gone with the first frost, usually late September and don't show up again till April.

A friend of mine has a place near Shelbyville. I don't know if he still has it listed with an agent, but I'm sure he'd be interested in an offer. About 90 acres IIRC, some pasture, some tillable ground, some woods. A four bedroom, three bath log house with full basement and office. (His "little cabin in the woods")

10 min from I64, 30 min to Louisville, 45 min to Lexington, 2 hrs to Cincinnati.

If it's something you might be interested in, PM me your contact info and I'll relay it to him.

Jerry

PM sent. :)

Bret4207
07-02-2012, 07:05 AM
As far as the Las Vegas Show girls and I'm not really sure how that's relevant to this topic but I have not seen one in 12 years except at a show and they were just OK :coffee:. Is this the way most see Vegas? A good amount of Las Vegas's population is from NY and NJ. "YouknowwhatI'msayin". Folks just south of you run all those girlie shows.
I just vacation down here. I have never considered it my home. <ick!>
The no AR's or 20/30 round magazines is pretty much a deal breaker for us in St Lawrence.
I thought I had you on my ignore list? huh?
There! that's better. :)

There are scads of AR's in NY. Not sure what you mean, they aren't banned or anything, same for the high cap mags. The manufacture date is the issue IIRC. That indicates you never really checked, nothing new there.

Just south of me would be the Adirondack Park, Nobody runs anything there. 8-10 hours south of me is NYC.

Sorry I bothered you, you wouldn't fit in here anyway.

41 mag fan
07-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Take a look at southern Indiana. Around Columbus Indiana. Right on 65 hour north indianapolis hour south louisville, ky 1 1/2 hour south east cincinnati . Lots of farm land not all flat.

If it's anything like around here, it's $6500 - $10,000/ acre. Being that close to Louisville and Indy, I would think it'd be even more, than here in Gibson County.

$6500/ acre around herre is prices for farmland, not developed. 22mi from Evansville, it was never this high till '96 when Toyota built their plant here.

waksupi
07-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Just for perspective, my last property evaluation had my property at $62,500 an acre. I protested the evaluation, and got it dropped to $29,166 per acre. Considering I paid around $3,300 per acre for it in 1986, quite a jump in value.

onceabull
07-02-2012, 12:03 PM
about a month ago the city of Boise bought( at a stand up and wave foreclosure auction) 240 acres well outside current city limits,plated & permitted for subdivision.. Paid $240,000, bank holding loan in foreclosure had slightly over $2.4 MIllion on the books.. guess only Gov.agencies left to "take the long view" with the boomer developers unable to save what they are already on the hook for....Damn strange no real estate agents out there trolling this one before the auction..... Onceabull