PDA

View Full Version : JB Weld-Good Stuff!

2Tite
06-30-2012, 11:38 AM
I've used this stuff for years and love it! The latest.........The handle came off the microwave oven which is mounted over the kitchen stove. This has happened twice now. The first time I ordered a new handle. Twenty bucks for a plastic handle about eight inches long. I wasn't going to do that again so I JB'd it. Well, somehow I let a drop fall onto the glass stove top. It's there .....won't scrape off, chip off and there it sits on the red hot surface of that stove. It's totally unaffected by the heat. It's small enough that the wife hasn't seen it yet. I guess I'll hear about it sooner or later but for now ........good stuff.

hardy
06-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Hi all,yup got to agree .Plugged a hole in a VW bug,s carb,5years on still ran great and a front sight on my little truck .22 beater rifle,same 5 years ,solid as a rock.Cheers, Mike.

Walter Laich
06-30-2012, 12:49 PM
I also use it to hold the wood on my mold handles

GT27
06-30-2012, 01:05 PM
I use it to bed rifles,dry Rit dye packet,and Pam as a release agent,has made good shooters,great shooters over the years for me!Great stuff,my opinion!

Skipper
06-30-2012, 01:06 PM
About 25 years ago, my Father in law and I used it to repair a gas cut between cylinders on a Datsun pickup head. We filled the 1/4" x 3/8" cut with J-B, dressed it down, new gasket and it lasted until he sold it 45,000 miles later.

smokemjoe
06-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Best thing to use when bedding a oily miltary rifle stock, Also fixed my snow blower carb. with it. Joe

3006guns
06-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Best thing to use when bedding a oily miltary rifle stock, Also fixed my snow blower carb. with it. Joe

Now THAT'S an idea! I've avoided bedding several of my military rifles, only because I'm too lazy to send for Accraglass (sp). JB Weld is available right here in town.

As above, I use it to keep my Lyman handles where they belong. God help me if I have to replace one.....probably have to carve it off.

I'm kind of surprised that it stays on that stove top......heat will normally break an epoxy bond. Must be better than I ever thought!

calaloo
07-01-2012, 03:50 PM
In 1989 I helped to bring a boat bact to Key West from the Carabbean. The old boat had twin Chrysler Hemi-Head engines. one had a small hole in one of the exhaust manifolds. We patched it with JB and it held all the way. Great stuff.

oneokie
07-01-2012, 04:04 PM
IIRC, the heat required for JB-Weld is rather high. And it has a very foul odor once it reaches critical temp.

Longwood
07-01-2012, 04:28 PM
My Ultralight aircraft has a three blade solid carbon fiber prop.
One day right after takeoff, I heard a loud bang ad saw something flash out of the corner of my eye.
On landing and inspecting the propeller, I discovered that the spinner had gone through the prop and put a ding in it that was about an inch long and 1/4 inch deep which grounded the aircraft.
A trip to NAPA for some of the 12 hour JB and I was flying again the next afternoon.

The 5 minute JB Weld is only a little better than Krazy glue.
Do NOT use it where you need to rely on it.

Longwood
07-01-2012, 04:39 PM
so what you think on this, got a cracked flange on a older brigs carburetor where it bolts to the head think it will hold with JB?

Can you take some photo's?

Longwood
07-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Clen the surfaces really well with brake cleaner.
The rougher the surfaces, the better the JB will stick.
I sometimes use a tiny pointed tool to scratch a surface I can not get to with some other tool.
Make sure the flange is perfectly flat when you are done or it will break again when you tighten it down.

Multigunner
07-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I haven't used JB Weld in years, so more recent formulations may not react to heat as easily as the older formula.
I've used JB Weld to fill in areas of oil perished or broken away inletting, but its not well suited as a bedding compound, at least when the layer must be fairly thick.
JB Weld shrinks quite a bit during the curing process. The larger the surface area and thicker the application the more shrinkage there will be.

The bond of JB to wood can be broken by steady application of radiant heat, at least if theres still some oil in the wood.

Once a stock has been well degreased and subsurface oils drawn out with repeated applications of TSP solution JB Weld will produce a darned near permanent repair, and with care can be used to fill in for oil perished wood that has broken away. It takes several applications to get a smooth bedding surface due to shrinkage.
A very thin application shouldn't shrink enough to be noticable to the eye, but won't be an all around bedding to metal fit.
This is usually not a problem since most Milspec Bolt Action rifle bedding is concerned with bottom surface of action and/or barrel to stock fit.
Where the metal is not supposed to come in contact with inleting is as much or more important than how evenly it seats where it is supposed to come into contact.

oneokie
07-01-2012, 06:35 PM
nope sorry about that. going to have to try the JB or find another carb body......

As Longwood said clean the surfaces well. If there is enough thickness to the surfaces that separated, drill some small shallow holes in those surfaces to allow keying of the epoxy to the metal. Put petroleum jelly on the areas where you do not want the epoxy to adhere. I also suggest that once you have the pieces back together, you do a build up of the epoxy on the outer surfaces to add even more strength. If you want even more strength, embed a small piece of window screen in this application.

geargnasher
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
As Longwood said clean the surfaces well. If there is enough thickness to the surfaces that separated, drill some small shallow holes in those surfaces to allow keying of the epoxy to the metal. Put petroleum jelly on the areas where you do not want the epoxy to adhere. I also suggest that once you have the pieces back together, you do a build up of the epoxy on the outer surfaces to add even more strength. If you want even more strength, embed a small piece of window screen in this application.

+1 to the above, put plenty extra over the crack to make a fillet like a weld bead. If I were doing it, I would vee-groove around the crack with a file or grinder like you were going to weld it with a TiG torch, give the epoxy a place to fill. JB weld takes up a little bit of space and seems to work better if there is a slight gap to fill, rather than like super-glue that is good at putting rough, broken surfaces back into tight contact with each other.

I think it will work fine, and you can always add another coat on top to reinforce it and grind away any that gets in the way of the bolt head that holds the carb down. The 24-hr JB Weld withstands fuel exposure for years, but eventually gives up.

Gear

geargnasher
07-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I've used this stuff for years and love it! The latest.........The handle came off the microwave oven which is mounted over the kitchen stove. This has happened twice now. The first time I ordered a new handle. Twenty bucks for a plastic handle about eight inches long. I wasn't going to do that again so I JB'd it. Well, somehow I let a drop fall onto the glass stove top. It's there .....won't scrape off, chip off and there it sits on the red hot surface of that stove. It's totally unaffected by the heat. It's small enough that the wife hasn't seen it yet. I guess I'll hear about it sooner or later but for now ........good stuff.

The stuff has saved me a lot of money over the years. Most recently, I had a sheet of 3/4" plywood fall off my sawhorses onto my 12" Delta compound miter saw, which is about 6-7 years old. The fall broke the pot-metal disc on the side of the blade shroud that lifts the blade guard when you lower the blade, making the saw pretty much useless since it's WAY too dangerous to operate with the moving shroud removed. I would have just TiG-welded it, but it's not a good alloy. I checked all over the internet for the part, and found that it has been out of production/unavailable for a long time, along with replacement handle/trigger assemblies. Apparently, whenever the saw falls out of the back of a pickup or gets something dropped on it, the blade guard retractor and handle are the things that usually break, and all the extra parts were quickly depleted long ago by folks finding themselves in the same pickle I was in. I can still get just about every other piece for it, though!

So I took it apart, cleaned up the piece, made a fixture to hold it together, and JB Welded it together. It's been fine ever since and saved me from buying another $300 saw.

Gear

Multigunner
07-02-2012, 03:05 AM
so what you think on this, got a cracked flange on a older brigs carburetor where it bolts to the head think it will hold with JB?

Theres a product that might work even better. I first learned of it when some people did a demonstration of it at a gunshow many years ago.

It comes as slender bright metal rods and you apply it more or less like solder using a propane torch, but it works on aluminum alloys.
Later I saw a more elaborate demonstration on TV where they used this stuff to build up a broken away flange of an automobile transmission bell housing and aluminum alloy wheels. They used it on several other parts like alternator flanges.

It seems to do the job, and can be used to replace broken away areas which can then be drilled or machined to look as good as new.

Heres the stuff
http://www.gemplers.com/product/165416/Welding-Kit?cid=25YBSHP&mkwid=pKdbYTByC&pcrid=1108270854

The person selling this stuff at the gunshow said it was not strong enough to safely repair an alloy pistol frame, at least not in a heavy load bearing area.

Longwood
07-02-2012, 03:27 AM
Theres a product that might work even better. I first learned of it when some people did a demonstration of it at a gunshow many years ago.

It comes as slender bright metal rods and you apply it more or less like solder using a propane torch, but it works on aluminum alloys.
Later I saw a more elaborate demonstration on TV where they used this stuff to build up a broken away flange of an automobile transmission bell housing and aluminum alloy wheels. They used it on several other parts like alternator flanges.

It seems to do the job, and can be used to replace broken away areas which can then be drilled or machined to look as good as new.

Heres the stuff
http://www.gemplers.com/product/165416/Welding-Kit?cid=25YBSHP&mkwid=pKdbYTByC&pcrid=1108270854

The person selling this stuff at the gunshow said it was not strong enough to safely repair an alloy pistol frame, at least not in a heavy load bearing area.

This stuff actually works pretty well.
I used it a few times and even repaired a thin aluminum air conditioner line while it was still on a auto.
But then, I am experienced with a torch.
Take your torch and blacken the work with a oxygen free flame then right when the carbon burns, the piece it at temp.
Be careful to not heat further or it will end up as splatter on the floor.

Longwood
07-02-2012, 03:41 AM
I have found the aluminum duct tape to be a blessing for many things.
I like it many times better than cloth duct tape for a lot of things.
JB weld can be a pain to keep where you put it. It will slough off and run down over a period of time if not retrained while setting up.
I have used the aluminum tape to hold JB in place while it sets up.
If I have to add a second build up coat, I always rough the surface of the first application. It does not stick well to smooth surfaces, including itself.

There is another product called Liquid steel that is supposed to work great, but I have zero experience with it.

Junior1942
07-02-2012, 04:12 PM
A pretty girl walked by as I was drilling a hole for a bracket on my tiller. Looked down and crankcase oil was squirting out. Long story short, I filled the hole with JB, drilled and tapped it for the bracket bolt, and 15 years later it's still going going going.

Also, JB Weld is all I use for stock bedding.

PS: The pretty girl is long gone gone gone...

mtgrs737
07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Fixed the mounting flange on my Honda Civic's a/c compressor. They did not key the clutch bearing to the housing and instead used a giant circlip to hold it on to the housing. When the bearing seized up it just started to spin on the aluminum housing and sounding funny. Soon the housing was too small in diameter to mount the new clutch bearing pack and it wobbled something awful. So JB weld to the rescue, built it up with JB using a straight edge and sanded it smooth and to fit, worked fine until some squid caused me to wreak it. Saved me about $500 bones.

bumpo628
07-07-2012, 11:38 PM
I have used it to fix radiators on a couple different vehicles.

SoCalLove
07-10-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm interested inusing JB weld to bed my Winchester Model 69A, it has the original wooden stock. Should I try it? I've never bed a rifle before.

2Tite
07-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Yes, it works well. I used it for that just last month. You should be careful around the edges as it does have a grey color when hardened. It won't match the walnut well. If that might bother you then I'd suggest accra-gel.

GT27
07-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Yes, it works well. I used it for that just last month. You should be careful around the edges as it does have a grey color when hardened. It won't match the walnut well. If that might bother you then I'd suggest accra-gel.

Mix a little brown,or whatever color (dry packet)Rit dye in the JB Weld,been using it for years,doesnt take much!Accra-gel or glass comes with the little brown/black packet of dry dye! GT27

wgr
07-15-2012, 08:22 PM
i used it to patch a hole in a oil pan , on my sons car

emptythemag
07-16-2012, 12:23 AM
I also used it to repair a hole in my car's oil pan..that was about 16 years ago and its still holding strong. The most important thing with JB-Weld is clean the parts your mending very well, before applying it to the surface. Also sometimes I let it sit a little so it thickens up, otherwise it can be very runny at first.

Cheap automobile brake parts cleaner works very well to get parts bone dry and de-greased.

And yes, you have to ensure it stays in place while drying...as another member suggested, use something like tape, glossy cardboard, plastic lid from coffee can, etc, to keep it from running/dripping and hold the basic shape your looking for, until it starts hardening up.

Junior1942
07-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Yesterday I was talking to a friend who is a retired jeweler. The intricate silver work in some "genuine Indian jewelry" is actually JB Weld.

parisite
07-21-2012, 10:49 AM
JB-Weld has made Mary Bonham in Sulphur Springs, TX very wealthy. God bless free market capitalism.

John in WI
07-21-2012, 02:23 PM
I bought a Toyota pickup truck for $200. The fenders were long since rotted off, the floor board were held in place mainly with the rust sticking them on to the carpet...

It was running on fumes when I bought it, so I took it immediately to the gas station and filled it up. Sure enough, the next morning there were about 5 gallons of gasoline in my driveway!

I was able to siphon out the gas below the center seam of the tank and goop all the holes closed without even dropping the tank. It went about 3 years. Until my brake lines rotted through (on the way home from work).

Bren R.
07-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Not so good on exhaust... was trying to get through the weekend with a noisy flex pipe... the smell of scorching JB Weld is not pleasant.

Plus, the exhaust is still noisy.

Bren R.

jnovotny
07-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Just mixed some up and repaired the floor of an alumiumn boat! Ever see aluimumn "rust"?