PDA

View Full Version : Gas check too tight

DeanWinchester
06-30-2012, 10:01 AM
I picked up a Lee mold in trade recently and the boolits were dropping .307, not good.
Using some diamond lapping compound and some Leementing I lapped the mold open to a nice .3105-.311 depending where you measure. That'll work.

Problem, the dadblame gascheck shank is oversized too and I can BARELY push them on. My fingers are throbbing after only 20 or so. This won't do. Hornady checks BTW.

Is there a trick or is this just another cross to bare for being a boolit caster?
I hate Lyman checks but I wonder if they'd be any easier???

Thanks guys.

Ben
06-30-2012, 10:18 AM
I have taken a punch and used a cut off wheel to shorten the end of the punch. By trial and error, you'll eventually get to a point where the punch will enter a Hornady g/c with some resistance , a slight tap will put a slight flare on the gas check allowing it to easily fit onto your oversized g/c shank. Of course the sizing die will crimp it tightly onto the shank.

NOE also offers a tool that will take oversized shanks and resize them for you.

You may find that aluminum gas checks will now make a better fit on your mold.

Many ways to get around this problem.

Good Shooting,

Ben

swheeler
06-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Dean; next time you use a cast bullet to lap a mold, if the gas check shank is correct don't get any lapping compound there. I have one I did the same thing to and found that I could seat the gas check with the Lyman gas check seater in the lubersizer. If you are using a push through sizer Buckshot can make you a gas check seater, believe it was Ben that had one made.

Echo
06-30-2012, 11:08 AM
And I've heard that one could take a large ball bearing and tap it into the GC just enough to open it enough for fitting.

wallenba
06-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Get a Hornady collet type bullet puller, and a couple of collets around and under your bullet diameter. Find the right one and you can put the gas check shank in it and squeeze it down in diameter. You can even use this technique to put gas check shanks on non G/C boolits.

I have one mounted upside down in a powder stand just for this kind of thing.

DeanWinchester
06-30-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys. I have some old crusty punches and some large ball bearings I will try first.

MDC
06-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Get a Hornady collet type bullet puller, and a couple of collets around and under your bullet diameter. Find the right one and you can put the gas check shank in it and squeeze it down in diameter. You can even use this technique to put gas check shanks on non G/C boolits.

Intersting idea...
Any pics of your set up? More details

Elkins45
06-30-2012, 02:52 PM
I have a similar problem with a Lee mold, except the problem is that the shanks are prefect w/ WW but too big when I pour them with lino. There's a guy on eBay that sells really thin Al gas checks. I bought some of his .008 ones and they were actually too thin...I could barely get them to hang onto my lino bullet shanks.

If you want, email or PM me and I'll drop a handful in an envelope for you. They might be just what the doctor ordered for your particular bullet.

DeanWinchester
06-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks Elkins, that's very kind, but I ground a punch as Ben suggested and after a little tweaking, it worked perfect.

I'm back in business!

grouch
07-01-2012, 12:47 AM
If you set the gas checks on a flat metal surface, take a #8(I think) round head screw, insert it in the open side of the gas check and tap the other end of the screw with a hammer, that will open the check so it will seat properly.
Grouch

9.3X62AL
07-01-2012, 01:30 AM

I've used punches for this purpose, but this idea has a lot of merit also. Many thanks!

leadman
07-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Lyman checks are made by Hornady now so that would not have worked.

Glad you found a solution.

skimmerhead
07-01-2012, 10:21 PM
NOE gas check seating die, its the best thing since sliced bread.

skimmerhead

wallenba
07-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Intersting idea...
Any pics of your set up? More details

It's a real simple gadget. Just thread the tool into any powder dispenser stand from the bottom, tighten with a regular lock ring. With the correct collet installed, just insert the boolits gas check shank into it, up to the collet. Then give a little tug on the pullers handle. Lots of leverage there, so not much force is needed. You will develope a feel for it. The collets are split into quadrants, so you may have to rotate the boolit and give a second little tug to iron out the whole circumference. click on pic three times