PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Pointing a solid with punch, help a newb

2_Smithereenz
06-30-2012, 06:47 AM
Never swaged anything in my life, but cast for 40 and .45, and will soon cast for my 9mm, so I'm not completely new to the craft............just never deformed any lead on purpose until after it leaves the barrel, but never before it leaves the barrel.

Here's my main question: Could I get set up with a set of punches to hollow point a standard Lee 120gr. TC and be able to do it on my existing press?
I've got a Lyman TMag II turret press and I really don't wanna screw that up, but I've also got an old Herters single stage that's built like a tank and isn't doing anything except just hanging around on my bench.

Any help, videos, links to purchase, links to more info, ect. would be much appreciated and of course any comments, advice, is also appreciated.

BTW- While I'm thinking about it, does anybody know if Mihec is going to do another 9mm mold run with the HP pins in the neighborhood of a 125gr. anytime soon? I love my .401 and .452 molds, and going to a Lee after using MP molds might be a disappointment? I hope not.

DukeInFlorida
06-30-2012, 07:17 AM
There are some guys out there who will midify your mold so that it casts a hollow pointed bullet. The Cramer style of mold Hollow Pointing is my favorite, and that's the way most do the modification.

A hollow pointed mold looks like:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21887&d=1272553593

Fla9-40
06-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Check out Eric over at www.hollowpointmold.com

beagle
06-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Back when the old CH Swage-O-Matic was around, we took the Lyman 358156 without a gas check and sized and lubed it. Then ran it through the Swage-O-Matic with a SWC HP punch.

This produced a plain base SWC HP and they shot quite well.

But with the availability of HP moulds we have today it's less hassle tp just cast the HPs bullets you require./beagle

midnight
06-30-2012, 09:46 AM
The old Swag-o-Matic can be very handy. They're kind of hard to find now but if you have a 35cal die, external punches are easily made on a lathe or like I do, with a drill press and a file. You can make hollow point punches in any shape you desire. You can reshape any lubed cast bullet and like beagle says, you can make plain bases out of gas checks. you can even gas check a plain base bullet.

Bob

2_Smithereenz
06-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks Duke in Maine..............I already own 2 of MP's Cramer Style molds and I love em. I'd have one in 9mm if there were any available, but I missed out on the group buy for that and Miha doesn't have any in stock. I'd much rather go this route than any other, but when in need I usually try to make due with other options until what I want/need comes around.

Thanks for all the replies fellas, much appreciated info. If anybody knows of a MP 9mm mold with HP pins for sale anywhere please let me know.

Reload3006
06-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Never swaged anything in my life, but cast for 40 and .45, and will soon cast for my 9mm, so I'm not completely new to the craft............just never deformed any lead on purpose until after it leaves the barrel, but never before it leaves the barrel.

Here's my main question: Could I get set up with a set of punches to hollow point a standard Lee 120gr. TC and be able to do it on my existing press?
I've got a Lyman TMag II turret press and I really don't wanna screw that up, but I've also got an old Herters single stage that's built like a tank and isn't doing anything except just hanging around on my bench.

Any help, videos, links to purchase, links to more info, ect. would be much appreciated and of course any comments, advice, is also appreciated.

BTW- While I'm thinking about it, does anybody know if Mihec is going to do another 9mm mold run with the HP pins in the neighborhood of a 125gr. anytime soon? I love my .401 and .452 molds, and going to a Lee after using MP molds might be a disappointment? I hope not.

Dannix just completed a group buy and I was in on it. RERERERun .... email Miha and ask bet he made extras.

2_Smithereenz
07-01-2012, 09:02 AM
I went ahead and bought one from another member on here that's hardly used. Haven't heard back from Miha, his inbox is full and won't accept anymore messages.