PDA

View Full Version : Visited another forum ..... !!!!

303Guy
06-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Yup. I thought I would pay an old forum a visit. You know what? This forum is the best! Folks here are gentlemen. :drinks:

geargnasher
06-29-2012, 10:13 PM
That's what I say every time I go poking around somewhere else.

Gear

Thumbcocker
06-29-2012, 10:17 PM
There's no place like home.

Bad Water Bill
06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
+10 on that

MT Gianni
06-30-2012, 12:42 AM
And there are now 24000 of us.

EDK
06-30-2012, 02:17 AM
IF you are into AR15s and a bit knowledgeable about them, you need to go to m4carbineforums.net...there are more keyboad ninjas than you ever though existed and they are wound up on a couple of small production level custom shops. They have a XYZ lower, ABC upper, ad nauseum on sights, etc and their keyboard is probably as close as they have come to the actual gun. Finish it off with having a large number of profane, vulgar and smart a** little sonsa b****es who will heap abuse on anyone not in agreement with them! I refuse to join their little "band of whatevers," but any visit is good for a laugh.

Probably preaching to the choir, but when I'm here, I'm among friends. I may not agree with you and vice versa, but there's only a few that I can't get along with most of the time....and even those guys make a contribution in one way or another.

Remember Woodrow F. Call's greatest remark in Lonesome Dove....I hate rude behavior in a man....I won't tolerate it. (AND remember the scene that prompted the remarks.)

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

Bullet Caster
06-30-2012, 03:20 AM
^I agree whole heartedly. That barkeep in Lonesome Dove had it comin' though. He was kinda rude even with the "old Ranger" photograph hanging on the wall behind him; he should have known who was in the photo. BC

429421Cowboy
06-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Funny that this should have been brought up, i visited an old forum tonight that i have close to a thousand posts on and i honestly can't believe why i wasted those keystrokes. I pretty much quit when a new member there attacked my sig line then gave NEGATIVE points to my rep and posted how i couldn't defend my statements, with no interference by the mods, and sadly in the months i've been gone i seems to have even more totally taken over by the mall ninjas to the max. I read WAYY more than i post here, there is 1000x the amount of knowledge here than one person could ever store in their own brain, you guys are the best! Great mod staff that take great pains in maing sure things stay clean and friendly. Even though i have had run in's with members here everybody has been very polite and respectful, even in PM's which means no grudges are harbored to carry into the rest of the forums. I'm glad to be a part of you guys, thanks for taking the time to help me and for making this the best site you guys and mod staff!

MBTcustom
06-30-2012, 05:21 AM
I read WAYY more than i post here, there is 1000x the amount of knowledge here than one person could ever store in their own brain, you guys are the best! Great mod staff that take great pains in maing sure things stay clean and friendly. Even though i have had run in's with members here everybody has been very polite and respectful, even in PM's which means no grudges are harbored to carry into the rest of the forums. I'm glad to be a part of you guys, thanks for taking the time to help me and for making this the best site you guys and mod staff!
I can't say it any better than 429421Cowboy.
I have only had one or two run ins here. When I have been in the wrong, a sincere apology on my part has been accepted graciously and tactfully. Sometimes folks just want to fight, but they don't last long here thanks to our vigilant moderators.
I had been a member of two other forums before here, and I racked up maybe 20 posts on both.........combined. This place is where the smart ones hang out, and most folks here can can still learn new tricks.
I love it.

Jim
06-30-2012, 05:43 AM
There's another forum?

missionary5155
06-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Good morning
I am right proud of this place ! Been to several overe the years. The other one I really like got bought by someone else and is now a real pain to access. So I still spend most my keyboard time here..
Mike in ILL.

slide
06-30-2012, 06:56 AM
The guys here are gentlemen. Remember we have some ladies too!

btroj
06-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Too many other sites are heavy on fluff and opinion, light on actual knowledge.

It comes down to trust. I trust much of the info I get from here. I still verify first, like always, but feel much can be taken at face value. Other sites, not so much.

Maybe it is because we are passionate about shooting as opposed to other sites that are passionate about what they shoot. They argue over the merits of a particular mod or whatever, we discuss actually shooting a gun!

x101airborne
06-30-2012, 11:34 AM
I dont visit other forums unless I am doing some google research, but I have read all the negative, disrespectful, unintelligent, armchair quaterback, vulgar and nasty stuff to stay away from em. I have never found one of the other sites that I could not get the same or better answer here. Loyal to the core.

And I thought that Lonesome Dove thing was after that Army scout whipped Newt for not giving up his horse. I could be wrong though. Been a while since I saw it.

jcwit
06-30-2012, 02:22 PM
I really like Castboolits a bunch, but there is also a couple of other forums that I frequent daily. One of them right now is highly recommending us to one of its new members in regards to the casting process. So they also think highly of castboolits and our forum.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-30-2012, 02:37 PM
There's another forum?

Jim,
a big +1

I dont visit other forums unless I am doing some google research, but I have read all the negative, disrespectful, unintelligent, armchair quaterback, vulgar and nasty stuff to stay away from em.

x101,
Yet me too !

jcwit
06-30-2012, 02:51 PM
I should have added, I never put all my eggs in one basket, nor all my knowledge in one book.

This holds true for internet forums.

Blacksmith
06-30-2012, 04:06 PM
While doing searches for firearm and ammunition related information I find that results linked to Cast Boolits are becoming increasingly more common. It seems we are becoming the one stop shop for gun information.

Shooter6br
06-30-2012, 04:10 PM
You telling me there is another forum?

Hamish
06-30-2012, 04:17 PM
There's another forum?

Actually, no, there's not. Not like this one. And that's all I got to say about that.

Chicken Thief
06-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Yup. I thought I would pay an old forum a visit. You know what? This forum is the best! Folks here are gentlemen. :drinks:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Burnthewich-1.jpg

smokemjoe
06-30-2012, 07:09 PM
I trust yous all here, When you say you want it ,I know you want it and have the money in 3-5 days, Other web sites I have waited 3 weeks and then they never wanted it to start or wait for 3 weeks for the money, Thanks guys , Joe

Ola
06-30-2012, 07:41 PM
There are some other gun forums that are not too bad. Some are actually very good. BUT they are not international (=in english).

IMO the key is to have strict rules and admins that enforce the rules strictly and swiftly. Keyboard ninjas and other morons should be kicked out. Ok, maybe one warning but no mercy after that.
On the other hand this can cause some serious problems:
When the admins "have the power" to rule, they must have high morals. If not, the admins will become evil dictators and the users will leave. I've seen this happen couple of times. Also the admins MUST be neutral and not to take sides in arguments if the argument is based on FACTs. No matter if the argument is between a newcomer and an old user with 15 000 posts. Taking sides will, again, eventually cause users to leave.

With 24000(?) users CB clearly has not that kind of problems.

chambers
06-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Great place to learn information, keep coming back, sort of addicting!

WILCO
06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Yep. I like it here alot. Good folks are plenty.

smoked turkey
06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
The knowlege base here is tremendous. Most folks here are not stuck on themselves or hoard the knowledge they have. Almost all are willing to share ideas with any and all without reservation. Also, I think we owe much of the success of this site to a great group of moderators here who appear, to me at least,to run the place in a prudent and consistant manner. As said already they are good at letting the ship drive with the wind and don't get ahold of the steering wheel until we get off course. My thanks to them along with Ken and Willy for their hard work to keep things on an even keel.

mpbarry1
06-30-2012, 11:10 PM
After meeting a few of you I can confirm that folks here are the real deal. knowledgeable decent folks who are patient with my casting questions. I'd love to meet all 24000. Of course i'm a people person. :).

runfiverun
07-01-2012, 01:50 AM
the mod's do do a good job.
a lot of the credit goes to the members themselves, self restraint,and an occasional reminder from other members goes a long way's.
there have been a few unfortunate incidents from members that didn't want to play nice, and a few times people have been taken advantage of also.
but they have been few and far between.
there have even been a few times i have wanted something in swap and sell and i was waaay out of town and wouldn't be home for a couple of weeks or even be able to reach a mailbox to send off a personal check, but pm'd the seller and they were cool with that.
i have even had stuff waiting in my mail box long [10-14 days] long before i could be there to look at it or send payment.
i have also met,or spoke to on the phone,in the chat room, or through p.m's, a lot of really good people here that i would be proud to call friends.

geargnasher
07-01-2012, 02:00 AM
I think it speaks pretty highly of the membership that when a new member joins that's immediately antagonistic or full or hot air, they sort of fade away quickly on their own. Some people take it for granted that all internet forums are full of self-serving, egotistical keyboard experts and treat us the same way when they start out, but that usually doesn't get them past about 30-40 posts here before the REAL experience and maturity of the castboolits folks tends to make them look pretty silly. Looking silly is the WORST thing a wannbe Sniper/Swat/"Special Forces" pretender or "instant expert" can experience, and the taillights soon fade into the distance, usually without the mods having to do a thing. That's good, 'cause they have plenty to do anyway since none of US walk on water, either!

Gear

07-01-2012, 11:50 AM
I used to be a member of just one other fourm. It wasn't long till I discovered that the vast majority of its members knelt in absolute awe and adoration before a certain moderator. His posts had become their bible and were quoted as such. Many times, a new, but much experienced, member would offer opinions that ran contrary to this god-like moderator, and would be subjected to his personal public whipping post. To make matters worse, the forum's little lambs would praise and defend their god's action and knowledge, and continue to ridicule the chastized member.

Once, I was publicly whipped, after posting some information from a much published and highly acclaimed source, which didn't happen to jive with the moderator's frequently self-touted experience. Rather than continuing the discussion, I left the forum and have never been back. For all I know, I may have been "Dishonorably Discharged", thereby joining the ranks of all the other members who disagreed with the moderator.

Cast Boolits is the only forum that I visit.

fatelk
07-01-2012, 01:01 PM
It seems like wannabe's and jerks don't last too long here, in general. That's a good thing.

I've been on several forums. There are a few I like, and a few I will never visit again. I'm always a little surprised at the lack of civility some places, and the profanity. I think that for many people profanity is a way of life and they forget that some people still reserve it for special occasions only, or refrain altogether.

Sometimes things get a bit over-the-top in the politics section, but it's nothing compared to some places. Sure, that section leans right here, but I've run across other places and forums on the net that tilt the other way, where folks post some of the most vile, hateful stuff I've seen in my life. Though "The Pit" may get a bit offensive at times, folks still keep it civil, and differing opinions are respected far more than I've seen in most places.

Speaking of politics; there is one forum that I used to frequent, a good one, that banned politics completely after a stir-up. The hammer was down- no politics or else!

Shortly thereafter a moderator or administrator or someone started a huge thread about gay rights, and how their struggle and the methods they use could be beneficial for the second-amendment cause. It became a 20 page love-fest for gay rights, and one didn't dare object because that would be politics. I was surprised at the blatant double standard, especially by a huge, well known, well-moderated gun forum.

wgr
07-01-2012, 01:13 PM
i belong to a couple other sites that i rarely vist anymore. i first came here people treated me like i belonged not a newby. i have bought a lot things from members here some even sent the product first be for payment some even took my personal check ans sent things be for it cleared. cant beat the guys here. just cant beat trust. thinks :-D

daniel lawecki
07-01-2012, 01:27 PM
I,m new to this forum it,s the best . Friendly people with alot of grest info. I,ll get into casting later but i do shoot store bought cast bullet. I know I,m wrong for shooting store bought. I,m reading and learning alot. Thats to all of you out there

kostner
07-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Actually, no, there's not. Not like this one. And that's all I got to say about that.

Keep checking out new forums but this is home for me. Nice bunch of members who don't give a **** if a work is misspelled.;)

onceabull
07-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Capt. McRae put it too the surly barkeep, Capt.Woodrow Call beat the rude behavior out of the army scout.. ...Onceabull

07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
" I know I,m wrong for shooting store bought."

Daniel, you're not wrong.

Some of us may not have the money to invest in casting, still others may find it easier to purchase boolits rather than cast them.

An individual's shooting enjoyment is all that matters.

By the way, welcome to the site.

gray wolf
07-01-2012, 06:47 PM
It would take a long time to list all the great things this forum has done for me.
Some of the things-- my own family couldn't do.
And no one ever made me think they were tapping there foot waiting for a thank you.
Needless to say I have learned many things here shooting related and casting related.
But you know what ? Cast boolits can help you become a better person in many areas, some of them not even shooting related.
It's like there is a door keeper that we can't see, and only nice people are allowed
through the cast bullet swinging doors

white eagle
07-01-2012, 06:51 PM
amen brother :drinks: :Fire:

jlchucker
07-01-2012, 06:56 PM
I was a member of two other forums besides ths one before I got a new computer and lost most of my saved passwords. As others have said, this one is the best. Great ladies and gentlemen. I never bothered going back to the other two--in fact, got to be primarily leftist politics and off-topic stuff and I was going to quit it anyhow. Cast Boolits is the best--by far!

Lively Boy
07-02-2012, 09:07 PM
I was sent here from another forum and "forgot" to go back!

Hip's Ax
07-02-2012, 09:14 PM
This place is Home Sweet Home....and always will be...

I do frequent other forums that cater to specific types of target shooting and they are OK but I come here multiple times a day to enjoy reading all the interesting and polite posts. Love it here.

Thumbcocker
07-02-2012, 09:59 PM
I am developing a theory that any important information one needs in life can be obtained on this site. People here KNOW things because they have DONE things. Thousands of years of experience free for the asking. COOL!

David2011
07-04-2012, 06:01 PM
This site is an amazing collection of participants and as mentioned earlier, the participants don't hoard knowledge. You can get information on almost any subject with a simple question. Contrast that with the sites that would have you punished for using the term "boolits." To me, it's a harmless, creative differentiation between poured and jacketed. To them, it an offense worthy of tarring and feathering or worse.

Rambling on, I started searching for information to smooth the recoil of the AR-15. I was not the first to make such searches but quickly found know-nothings who touted to the posters to "Shoot a Nagant and then go back to your AR. Then you won't think it has recoil." The responders clearly had no idea what it is like to shoot in matches where a smooth, well controlled recoil meant faster overall times yet they lambasted the audacity of an AR shooter to think that a .223 even HAD recoil.

I'm proud to be associated with such a fine collection of individuals.

David

44man
07-05-2012, 10:21 AM
My friends here put up with ME! I can say no more. Transgressions are forgiven and yes I am guilty.
The reason is everyone here is intelligent and understands that nothing is said in anger or personal bashes. A few from other sites will creep in and challenge, just keep cool and present your beliefs.
Notice other sites have a King of the hill!
The very most important thing here is to never take any comment in a bad way. Present your findings for evaluation for testing.
If there are any here at the top I will say Gear, Felix, Bret and so many I can't list them.
The reason is equality and a desire to help everyone.
My hope before I die is that all will continue to accept me.

Hamish
07-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I am developing a theory that any important information one needs in life can be obtained on this site. People here KNOW things because they have DONE things. Thousands of years of experience free for the asking. COOL!

You have just revealed a great truth. This is a cool site. With the Search function, this place is a Treasure Chest, and the members are the jewels within.

(don't any of you yay-hoos get the big head, all of you's are still just meat headed overgrowed little boy's remember?)