PDA

View Full Version : How heavy can a 50 cal 1-15 tw stabalize subsonic?

paul h
06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Not a handgun question perse, but I figure this group would have people with the most experience in this realm.

Anyhow, I've long been considering getting a supressor, well a few of them. As I've been researching them I came across Bowers vers 50, which got the wheels churning. I've considered a 300 AAC, but want something with a bit more oomph. I already have a 500 Jeffrey bolt gun that has a 1-15 twist barrel and was long throated to take pretty much anything I can stuff in it. I've shot 470 gr cast at 1100 fps and it's fun, 600's @ 2200 were not fun.

The only real challenge with the Jeffrey case is the short neck, which limits how much of the bullet I can get into the case before I have a lube groove below the shoulder. I played with MM's software and came up with a 625 gr bore riding tangential ogive bullet with a .75" long nose, 80% meplat. Software claims it will stabalize in a 1-26" barrel. Now I need to figure out two small lube grooves, or one single massive one. The rifle has a 25" long barrel, so more lube is a good in that sense. But running a can, I don't want it getting globbed up with lube.