PDA

View Full Version : 1oz Fishing Sinker Mold,

NZSarge
06-29-2012, 01:49 AM
I was thinking about RB's for 12 gauge, with the .690 mold maybe being a little large for a standard wad cup and anything smaller mostly being single cavity cast.
The suggestions mentioned before by most of you was that something smaller than .690 was obviously needed for a 12g wad cup.

A 1oz pure lead ball should drop at .662 or thereabouts, I read.

Interestingly, a 1oz RB fishing sinker mold has up to 10 cavity in one pour and should cast larger than .662 (16.84mm) for pure lead.

This is because there is a small hole in the middle of the Fishing weight when casting, provided by an inserted wire along the length of the mold, the RB is larger than .662, probably into the .670's to get the 1oz weight.

Anyway,I tested the fit of a 1oz sinker ball in a winchester 1oz wad cup ( WAA12 SL) and it fits perfectly, also in a WAA1224 7/8, perfect diameter, not loose, slightly proud for a good roll crimp.

The point is, the fishing weight molds are 1/4 of the price being aluminium and if you leave out the hole wire that is provided, the diameter is large and the ball is just fine...[smilie=w: Plus the bonus of having up to 10 balls per hot pour.

I don't have a vernier measure but by the fit I think the suggested .670 something is about right.

What do you think..

Combat Diver
06-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the tip! Another mold I'll have to look for. I use quit a few 1 oz snikers as I fish on the coast.

CD

UNIQUEDOT
06-30-2012, 03:25 PM
My 1 0z sinker mold casts egg sinkers not round balls, but i wonder how well an egg would fly from a smoothbore? :mrgreen:

bearcove
07-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Load up a bunch of the small of the small ones and let them spin. the sound of them flying would probably scare anything.