PDA

View Full Version : what size roundball for 20 gauge?

Piedmont
06-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Loading a roundball in a shotgun has long appealed to me. Since I don't like recoil, 20gauge seems the way to go. Assume normal chokes (I don't know what shotgun these would be loaded in).

I have a chance to buy a .570 roundball mould but don't even remember what a 20 gauge tube measures. Some guys use an undersized ball in a shot cup to avoid problems with the choke. Should I get this .570 or would a different diameter be more ideal?

OverMax
06-29-2012, 08:39 AM
A 20 gauge barrel I believe is 62 caliber. Is far as loading up a modern shot shell with Rd ball. I would suggest calling someone before hand. Perhaps: Ballistic Products over in MN would be a good place to start. You can Google them Sir.

Lonegun1894
06-29-2012, 11:01 AM
The 20ga is "supposed" to be .620", but as always there is a little variance. I have seen a friend use .562" through .600" with various shotcups, and remember him saying that he got better accuracy with the bigger diameter balls, but this has been years ago and I can't remember the combo he settled on, and have lost touch with him so can't ask him. He used to always give me grief about using a 12ga when his 20ga did the same thing with less powder, lead, and recoil. Some days I wish I had been listening more as he was a walking encyclopedia.

Skipper
06-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Shotgun Info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_%28bore_diameter%29

20 ga should be .615" .800oz 350gns

sharps4590
06-29-2012, 03:07 PM
If my memory serves me ok right now, my .600 RB weighs in at 340-342 grs. from straight lead. It has served me well in a .620 bore fowler. Quite accurate actually. Your best accuracy will be from an open bore and generally, the tighter the choke the less accurate with a RB or slug.

TRG3
06-29-2012, 05:02 PM
While I don't load roundballs for a 20 gauge shotgun, I do shoot a 20 gauge (.62 caliber) fowler flintlock. I use a .595 or .600 patched roundball cast from soft lead. From a good rest, the gun will shoot cloverleafs at 30 yards and I have taken deer at 60 yards with it, so I would suspect that if you can fit a patched roundball of this diameter in a 20 gauge hull that it would give reasonable accuracy. Obviously, you would need to follow all safety precautions, etc. in determining if this would work for your shotgun.

2_Smithereenz
07-01-2012, 09:22 AM
When I was going through my R&D for my 20ga. I used a 54 cal. muzzle loader bullet mold from Lee and the slug fit perfect inside the wad cup. However that design bullet didn't fly very well so I'm still looking into other options for making a good 20ga. slug. Problem I think is in the twist or lack of to be more exact, so a round ball may well be the answer?
A .570 may be a bit big to fit in a wad cup, but would definitely work without. As far as which choke to use, just take a pair of calipers and measure both openings and pick the one with the least restriction. I'd venture to say it's going to be the Imp. or Mod. choke, but never the Full or Ext. Full you might end up stressing your barrel if you restrict it too much. Just my opinion.

Be sure and let me/us know how your testing turns out because I'm still in the trial and error stages with my 20ga. slug loads. The round ball might just be the ticket.

singleshot
07-20-2012, 01:34 PM
I was thinking of trying a .60 ball in front of a 20 gauge gas check in my smooth bore. (It's essentially a 20 ga shot cup without the cup.) Problem is I can't track down a mold in my area, so I'll probably have to order one. I'll let you know how this turns out. Not sure if I'll need a wad under the ball or not...

Maven
07-20-2012, 02:04 PM
singleshot, I have a Dixie tong type mold (no sprue cutter), which casts a .600" dia. roundball if you're interested. It casts well enough, but my Trade Gun prefers something a bit smaller, so I'd be glad to part with it. How's $25.00 + flat rate shipping sound?

singleshot
07-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Maven, PM sent.

SuperBlazingSabots
07-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Hello Piedmont, I would go for .575 RB and find a suitable wad with stiff petals to load them with two .125-28 gauge nitro card below the ball in wad and 6 point fold crimp!
May I suggest first try Trap commander wad and see!
Time to have fun blowing up the water bottles.
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
VdoMemories-Blazing Sabots
www.BlazingSabots.com