PDA

View Full Version : Dog owners might like this

parrott1969
06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
This is poor man's Heart Guard and it saves you a lot of money. I first heard about it from a friend that has been using this method on his dogs for 15 years. I prefer the sheep drench mix.

Ivomec Dosage Instructions for Heartworm Prevention

I don't endorse the extra-label use of liquid ivermectin for dogs, but I'm concerned that people are using it improperly, subjecting their dogs to potentially dangerous levels (for some dogs) of ivermectin. See below for information on how to properly dilute Ivomec 1% solution in order to make it safe to use for dogs. You can use 0.08% sheep drench undiluted.

The dosages shown below are used to duplicate the amount of ivermectin found in Heartgard, and should be given monthly for heartworm prevention.

I have also worked out the amount of ivermectin in Acarexx, used to treat ear mites in cats (and off-label in dogs), which might be useful for people who cannot otherwise afford to treat a large number of dogs. Contact me privately for more information (my contact information is at the bottom of the page).
Contents Introduction
Ivermectin Sensitivity
Ivermectin Efficacy
Directions for using 0.08% sheep drench
Directions for Making 30:1 Dilution of 1% solution
Directions for Making 9:1 Dilution of 1% solution
Directions for using Ivermectin powder
Buy Ivermectin, Propylene Glycol and Glycerin
About J&R Enterprises Ivermectin Blend
How the Calculations Were Done

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I am not a veterinarian, nor do I have any formal training in any medical field. The information presented here is not meant to replace your vet's advice or prescribed medications, but only to suggest additional options to explore, based on your dog's condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

Liquid ivermectin (Ivomec) is available in 1% injectable solution for treating cattle and pigs, and in 0.08% oral solution for treating sheep (the 0.27% solution has been discontinued). In most cases, you will need a syringe (no needle) that measures to the tenth of a cc to administer. Note that all of these products are given orally.

Ivermectin 0.08% solution made for sheep can be used undiluted. An 8 oz (236 ml) bottle of ivermectin 0.08% solution costs around $28, and would be enough to treat 70,000 pounds of dogs.

Ivermectin 1% solution is more readily available but cannot be used undiluted even for very large dogs. Without diluting the ivermectin solution, the amount to give is too small to measure accurately. The proper way to use liquid 1% ivermectin solution for dogs is to dilute the ivermectin with propylene glycol (or possibly food-grade (USP) glycerin -- I have not actually seen instructions using glycerin rather than propylene glycol, but liquid ivermectin injectable solutions are made with 40% glycerol and 60% propylene glycol). Some people have used vegetable oil instead because it tastes better and is easier to get, but the drug will not mix as well with oil and so the dosage within the solution may not be even. A 50 ml bottle of ivermectin 1% solution costs around $35 and would be enough to treat 150,000 pounds of dogs. There are instructions below for creating a 30:1 dilution, which works best for small dogs and can also be used for large dogs, and also instructions for creating a 9:1 dilution.

An Ivermectin powder product that was mixed with ground corn and designed for pigs appears to have been

See additional information below under How the Calculations Were Done.

Keep Ivomec and any unused mixture refrigerated. The length of time the diluted mixture will remain potent is unknown.

Return to Top of Page

Ivermectin Sensitivity

Note that the dosages listed below are the same as is used in Heartgard, but it's safe to give a little more. For example, when using Heartgard Green for dogs weighing 26 to 50 pounds, the dosage used is calculated for a 50-pound dog, while a 26-pound dog would get twice as much per pound of body weight. Heartgard Blue is used for dogs weighing up to 25 pounds, so a 5-pound dog would get five times as much per pound of body weight as a 25-pound dog would. Dosages as high as 50 times the amount used to prevent heartworms are used to treat mites on dogs (demodectic mange).

High dosages of ivermectin are considered safe for all dogs except those with the MDR1 gene mutation that makes them sensitive to ivermectin and other drugs. Commonly affected breeds include the Collie, Australian Shepherd (all sizes), Shetland Sheepdog, English Shepherd, Old English Sheepdog, McNab, German Shepherd, Long-haired Whippet, and Silken Windhound. There is now a test available to screen for the presence of the mutated MDR1 gene that causes this problem, see Multidrug Sensitivity for more information.

Very high doses of ivermectin, such as are used to treat demodex, are also problematic if combined with products that contain spinosad, such as Comfortis and Trifexis. Spinosad is a newer flea-control ingredient that increases the risk of neurological side effects from ivermectin. Dogs infected with heartworms may suffer an anaphylactic reaction from the death of too many microfilariae at once when given very high doses of ivermectin as well.

Return to Top of Page

Ivermectin Efficacy

Recent information has come to light that Heartgard may be only 95% effective, rather than 100% effective, in preventing heartworm infections. That means it will destroy 95% of heartworm larvae, not that 95% of dogs receiving Heartgard will remain heartworm-free.

The dosage of ivermectin used in Heartgard was the lowest found to be 100% effective at killing heartworm larvae when the product was originally approved. Since lower doses were less effective, it's possible that higher doses may continue to be 100% effective.

Higher doses of ivermectin are safe for all dogs except those with the MDR1 mutation. Dosages as high as 50 times the amount used to prevent heartworms are used to treat mites on dogs (demodectic mange). Very high dosages may also be problematic for dogs infected with Heartworms, and those being treated with Comfortis. See Ivermectin Sensitivity above for more information.

It may be best to double the amount of ivermectin you give your dogs in order to potentially provide better protection from heartworm infection. Again, this does not apply to dogs with the MDR1 mutation.

Note that higher doses of ivermectin are unlikely to be more effective against the resistant strain of heartworms that has been identified in the Mississippi River Valley. See New Information Regarding Heartworm Resistance for details.

Return to Top of Page

Directions for using 0.08% sheep drench

Dosage using Ivermectin 0.08% solution (you may want to double these doses for better protection):

up to 14 pounds: 1 drop (0.05 cc)
15 to 29 pounds: 0.1 cc
30 to 58 pounds: 0.2 cc
59 to 88 pounds: 0.3 cc
89 to 117 pounds: 0.4 cc
118 to 147 pounds: 0.5 cc

1 cc of ivermectin 0.08% sheep drench solution contains 800 mcg; 0.1 cc = 80 mcg ivermectin.
The exact dosage is 0.034 cc per 10 pounds of body weight, or approximately 0.1 cc per 30 pounds of body weight.

Return to Top of Page

Directions for making 30:1 dilution of 1% solution
Mix 30 parts propylene glycol to 1 part ivermectin 1% solution. Shake well before using to mix the ivermectin evenly. Refrigerate any unused portion.
Dosage using Ivermectin 1% solution at 30:1 dilution (you may want to double these doses for better protection):

< 6 pounds: 1 drop (0.05 cc)
6 to 12 pounds: 0.1 cc
13 to 24 pounds: 0.2 cc
25 to 36 pounds: 0.3 cc
37 to 48 pounds: 0.4 cc
49 to 60 pounds: 0.5 cc
62 to 72 pounds: 0.6 cc
73 to 84 pounds: 0.7 cc
85 to 97 pounds: 0.8 cc
98 to 109 pounds: 0.9 cc
110 to 121 pounds: 1 cc

To make a small amount of the mixture, you will need a 1 cc syringe that measures accurately to the tenth of a cc. Draw up 0.1 cc of Ivermectin solution in a 1 cc syringe, and mix well with 3 cc of propylene glycol, giving you 3 ccs at a dilution ratio of 30:1. This is enough to treat 300 pounds of dogs using the 1% solution.

To make larger amounts of the mixture, use a 1 fluid ounce dropper bottle, which is 30 ml. Put 1 ml of ivermectin solution in a 1 fluid ounce dropper bottle, then fill with propylene glycol. This will be enough to treat 3,000 pounds of dogs (e.g., 300 10-lb dogs or 150 20-lb dogs) using the 1% solution.

1 cc of ivermectin 1% diluted 30:1 contains 333 mcg; 0.1 cc = 33 mcg ivermectin.
The exact dosage is 0.0824 cc (approximately 0.1 cc) per 10 pounds of body weight.

Return to Top of Page

Directions for making 9:1 dilution of 1% solution
Mix 9 parts propylene glycol to 1 part ivermectin 1% solution. Shake well before using to mix the ivermectin evenly. Refrigerate any unused portion.
Dosage using Ivermectin 1% solution at 9:1 dilution (you may want to double these doses for better protection):

up to 18 pounds: 1 drop (0.05 cc)
19 to 36 pounds: 0.1 cc
37 to 73 pounds: 0.2 cc
74 to 110 pounds: 0.3 cc
111 to 147 pounds: 0.4 cc

To make a small amount of the mixture, you will need a 1 cc syringe that measures accurately to the tenth of a cc. Draw up 0.1 cc of Ivermectin solution in a 1 cc syringe, and mix well with 0.9 cc of propylene glycol, giving you 1 cc at a dilution ratio of 9:1. This is enough to treat 333 pounds of dogs using the 1% solution.

To make larger amounts of the mixture, use a 1 fluid ounce dropper bottle, which is 30 ml. Put 3 ml of ivermectin solution in a 1 fluid ounce dropper bottle, then fill with propylene glycol. This will be enough to treat 9,000 pounds of dogs (e.g., 90 100-lb dogs) using the 1% solution.

1 cc of ivermectin 1% diluted 9:1 contains 1,000 mcg; 0.1 cc = 100 mcg ivermectin.
The exact dosage is 0.0272 ml (approximately 0.03 cc) per 10 pounds of body weight.

Return to Top of Page

Directions for using Ivermectin powder (this product appears to have been discontinued)

Dosage using Ivermectin powder (you may want to double these doses for better protection):

up to 25 pounds: 1/8 teaspoon
26 to 50 pounds: 1/4 teaspoon
51 to 65 pounds: 1/3 teaspoon
66 to 100 pounds: 1/2 teaspoon
101 to 150 pounds: 3/4 teaspoon
Over 150 pounds: 1 teaspoon

5 grams of ivermectin power contains 1,000 mcg ivermectin.
The exact dosage is 0.136 grams per 10 pounds of body weight. The company says that 1 teaspoon weighs 5 grams, but people who have weighed a level teaspoon of the powder have found that it weighs 2.8 grams. Based on this information:
1 level teaspoon (2.8 grams) of ivermectin powder contains 560 mcg ivermectin
1/4 tsp (0.7 grams) of ivermectin powder contains 140 mcg ivermectin
Give 1/4 tsp per 50 pounds of body weight.

Return to Top of Page

Buy Ivermectin, Propylene Glycol and Glycerin

Amazon
Ivermectin 0.08% sheep drench solution, 8 oz (236 ml), $28 plus shipping.
Ivermectin 0.08% sheep drench solution, 960 ml, $57 plus shipping.
Ivermectin 1% solution, 50 ml, $29 plus shipping

Jeffers Livestock 1-800-533-3377
Ivomec 0.8% sheep drench solution, 4800 ml, $231 plus shipping (no longer offering the 960 ml size)
Privermectin 0.08% sheep drench solution, 960 ml, $50 plus shippingIvomec 1% solution, 50 ml, $34 plus shipping.
Ivermectin 1% solution, 50 ml, $32 plus shipping
Propylene glycol, 1 gallon, $20 plus shipping.
Glycerin, 1 gallon, $25 plus shipping.

Valley Vet 800-419-9524
Ivomec 0.08% sheep drench solution, 960 ml, $71 plus shipping.
Privermectin 0.08% sheep drench solution, 960 ml, $50 plus shipping
Ivomec 1% solution, 50 ml, $36 (free shipping).
Propylene glycol, 1 gallon, $19 + shipping.
Glycerin, 1 gallon, $31 + shipping.

The Chemistry Store 800-224-1430
Propylene glycol, 1 quart, $12 + shipping.
Glycerin, 1 quart, $11 + shipping.

Return to Top of Page

About J&R Enterprises ivermectin blend

Several people have contacted me about this product. The 0.0461% dilution they use would contain 461 mcg of ivermectin per 1 cc of mixture. According to the company, ivermectin is mixed with high quality propylene glycol.

The dosage they recommend is about two to three times what you would get in Heartgard, which should be safe for all dogs except possibly those with the MDR1 gene that makes them sensitive to ivermectin (see Ivermectin Sensitivity above). This dosage may even provide better protection against heartworm infection.

Return to Top of Page

How the calculations were done
Heartgard dosage is a minimum of 6 mcg/kg (2.72 mcg/lb). Note that dogs at the lower end of the weight ranges get twice this much, or even more for very small dogs. Ivermectin has a very wide safety range; dosage for dogs with demodex is 300 mcg/kg, and this amount may be given daily over weeks or months. It's important not to underdose your dog, which may not be effective at preventing heartworms. Always round up when calculating dosage.
Heartgard Blue for dogs up to 25 pounds has 68 mcg ivermectin
Heartgard Green for dogs 26-50 pounds has 136 mcg ivermectin
Heartgard Brown for dogs 51-100 pounds has 272 mcg ivermectin

Ivomec 1% solution:

1 cc of ivomec 1% contains 10,000 mcg ivermectin; 0.1 cc = 1,000 mcg ivermectin
1 cc of ivomec 1% diluted 9:1 contains 1,000 mcg ivermectin; 0.1 cc = 100 mcg ivermectin.
The exact dosage is 0.0272 ml per 10 pounds of body weight, approximately 0.03 cc per 10 pounds of body weight.

1 cc of ivomec 1% diluted 30:1 contains 333 mcg ivermectin; 0.1 cc = 33 mcg ivermectin.
The minimum dosage is 0.0824 cc per 10 pounds of body weight, approximately 0.1 cc per 10 pounds of body weight.

Ivomec 0.08% sheep drench solution:

1 cc of ivomec 0.08% sheep drench solution contains 800 mcg ivermectin; 0.1 cc = 80 mcg ivermectin.
The minimum dosage is 0.034 cc per 10 pounds of body weight, approximately 0.1 cc per 30 pounds of body weight.

Ivermectin Powder for swine:

5 grams of ivermectin power contain 1,000 mcg ivermectin
1 gram of ivermectin powder contains 200 mcg ivermectin
The minimum dosage is 0.136 grams per 10 pounds of body weight.

The company says that 1 teaspoon weighs 5 grams, but people who have weighed a level teaspoon of the powder have found that it weighs 2.8 grams. Based on this information:
1 level teaspoon (2.8 grams) of ivermectin powder contains 560 mcg ivermectin
1/4 tsp (0.7 grams) of ivermectin powder contains 140 mcg ivermectin
Give 1/4 tsp per 50 pounds of body weight.

Measurement notes:
•1 drop is approximately 0.05 cc
•cc is the same as ml

Note that you should always round the dosage up, not down. It's fine to give a little more than is needed, but if you give less, your dog may not be protected.

For the most part, larger dosages are safe, as long as your dogs are not infected with heartworms (in which case, very high doses may kill off too many microfilariae at once, which can lead to an anaphylactic reaction), or if your dogs have the mutation that makes them more susceptible to ivermectin. Even then, as long as you're close to the dosage above, you should be fine, it's just when you give 10 times as much as you should or more that you might run into trouble. This is quite common if you follow recipes on the internet, which often leave out the fact that the ivermectin must first be diluted 9:1 with another liquid, making the dosage ten times what it should be.

http://web.archive.org/web/20061104194714/http://www.heartwormsociety.org/katrina.htm
"Be careful when calculating doses and administering ivermectin solution, as the concentration in most available solutions is very high compared to the dose needed for small animal treatment. Remember 1% solution = 1 gram/100 ml = 10 mg/ml = 10,000 ug/ml [ug=mcg]. . . . People often dilute 1% solution with 99 mls of propylene glycol [dilution ratio of 99:1], to create a solution that is 100 micrograms per ml. The preventive dose of ivermectin for a 10 kg [22 lb] dog then would be .5 mls."

http://www.espomagazine.com/vet/apr96.htm
"As mentioned in that article, the dose of Ivermectin necessary to treat or prevent intestinal parasites is about 30 times the dose used to prevent heartworm disease. The dosage you listed, 0.1 cc per 10 pounds of body weight, is the dosage recommended for the prevention of intestinal parasites and heartworms [thus, it's 30 times higher than needed to prevent heartworms alone]. Therefore, if you wish to use the cattle wormer, Ivomec, as a heartworm preventative only, the amount needed would, indeed, be too minute to measure accurately. One way to solve the problem is to dilute a small amount of Ivomec in vegetable oil or propylene glycol (a solvent sometimes used to treat bloat in livestock). The vegetable oil tastes better, but the drug will mix better with propylene glycol because that is the same liquid used to dissolve the Ivermectin in a bottle of Ivomec.
"One dilution scheme which would minimize waste would involve using a 1 cc syringe and the more common 3 cc syringe. Draw up 0.1 cc of Ivomec., using the small syringe, and mix well with 3 cc of vegetable oil or propylene glycol [this is a dilution ratio of 30:1]. Using this diluted product, the heartworm preventative dose would be a familiar 0.1 cc per 10 pounds of body weight. A larger amount could be diluted and stored in the

429421Cowboy
06-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Hmmm... If i get it right you are using this orally? I ask because the only Ivomec i use is in drench form for cattle at a rate of about 2cc/100lbs of bodyweight or so (based on the table with the meds) as a drench from shoulder to tailhead. I guess it just seems counterintutive to give it orally because of the (ethel) alcohol carrier. Just curious as i have never heard of this for dogs and for my two cowdogs i figure i can just get dog meds, but this is info for later on that might be useful someday!

LIMPINGJ
06-30-2012, 10:01 AM
When the Vet gave me the dilution ratio he said use Distilled Water and just mix fresh each time.

markinalpine
06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I've weighed the risk in my area, which is quite low due to aridity, and few dogs with heartworm according to our vets. I also have my dog tested every year during his anual checkup. This is a multi-purpose test which covers several parasitic born diseases including heartworm, and so far he has had negative results.
There are a few pet medication companies that will sell the commercial stuff without a prescription, and I think they are in Australia. At least one that I do buy the topical flea/tick drops from mails it from Australia, and it is much cheaper.
Mark

MikeS
07-01-2012, 06:01 AM
I notice that in the instructions for the 30:1 mixture it says to refrigerate any unused solution. I have a bottle of the 1% injectable Ivermectin that I got when my daughter sold one of her pit bulls, and the guy gave us the bottle, and said it would be good for about 5 years, and didn't mention refrigeration at all. Between my daughter and me we have 6 dogs, she has a pit bull and a chihuahua, and I have 4 chihuahuas. The guy told us to use .1cc for each chihuahua and 1cc for the pit bull. Have we been giving them way too much? Now that the bottle has been used, but not refrigerated is it no longer any good? Or is the need for refrigeration only for the 30:1 dilution?