PDA

View Full Version : CZ-82 extractor installation

John in WI
06-28-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the CZ-82 (or 83)?

A few weeks back I put a few boxes of shells through the CZ-82 without a hiccup. Then, when I got it home to clean it, I realized that the extractor, pin, and spring were no where to be found. Somewhere along the line it must have wiggled loose and fell out.

I ordered a CZ-83 extractor, spring, and pin from the company (they are supposed to be interchangable), but the fit on this part is even more sloppy than the original. And I'll tell you--the pins on a well used, surplus CZ-82 are about as sloppy as can be. No "drift" needed--I could get mine loose with a paper clip.

I guess I would be ok with the slop. But I am not ok with losing $50 worth of parts. And this was my CCW piece. A missing extractor would have been a TERRIBLE surprise (my 13 shot turning into a single shot!)

What would be a good solution to this problem? I am a little worried to stake the pin in place, as this would require whacking a pretty thin part of the slide. The pin seems too under sized to try using Loctite on it.

Do you think I could find some hardened steel rod of slightly larger size and cut one custom to fit? (maybe I could go through my box of burned out drill bits, and use the shank off of one of those?). Or maybe one slightly oversized, that I could chill on dry ice to fit and then it would expand again snug?

I don't know--from a Google search, loose, broken, and missing extractors seems to be a common problem for the CZ-82. But I haven't seen anyone with a really good solution to it. One guy gunked his in with JB-Weld but I can't imagine that will hold up to the kind of abuse a slide would take during cycling.

thanks for any ideas--I really would like to get this thing up and operational again, but don't have a local smith to take it in to.

Tokarev
06-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Are you sure you need them? The function of extractor in blowback always sounded questionable to me.

What diameter pins do you need?

John in WI
06-29-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm not certain what diameter the pin is supposed to be. I know in stock CZ 82s and 83s the pin is actually tapered so that it is installed from the bottom of the slide towards the top. That way, the frame keeps the pin from falling out the bottom, and the taper keeps it from flying out the top. It's a little unnerving how the pistol is held together. The grips hold 2 of the frame pins in place, a blind pin holds the magazine release in place. Nothing really bolted or locked in.

In any case, the extractor IS needed. The "blowback" just blows the slide back--but the barrel stays where it is with the fired shell casing in the chamber. The extractor hooks onto the empty shell's rim and yanks it out on recoil until it clears the chamber. Then the extractor pivots a little bit and kicks it out the side. It's really a primitive setup, but with the old extractor it worked without a hiccup. Never once did I get a failure to extract and never did the shell fail to clear the port. It normally flings the empties several feet out.

My only issue now is that clearly the hole for the extractor pin hole is worn and slightly too large. So the pin that should be a snug fit is now way too loose. It don't think the extra slop in the fit is going to hurt anything, as when the slide slams shut the extractor is guided into position by a slot cut in the barrel. The only real problem with the slop is that the pin wants to wiggle loose under recoil. And this one is so loose I'm certainly going to lose it again.

My plan at the moment is to try to find a drill bit that has the proper diameter and cut it to length (the smooth shank portion). It should be hardened high carbon steel and plenty strong for this application. Then maybe a drop of Loctite to keep it in there. Or if it is a real perfect fit, maybe a very small peening could keep it in place.

I just don't like the idea of whacking on the slide with a chisel. If I crack it, I have no idea where I would go about finding a different one.

Tokarev
06-29-2012, 11:09 PM
The "blowback" just blows the slide back--but the barrel stays where it is with the fired shell casing in the chamber.

You are describing recoil operated gun.
CZ-83 is a blowback, where the gas pressure pushes the case out of the chamber after the bullet leaves the bore. The barrel in CZ-83 is fixed, so it is normal for it to stay where it is. Are we talking about the same gun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_82

John in WI
06-30-2012, 08:52 AM
The CZ 82 is virtually identical to the CZ83 (except it's 9x18, not .380). In the picture on the Wiki article, the chrome colored piece in the middle of the slide is the one that fell out: http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-0330072001/Extractor-Cz83-380.aspx

I'm not sure if it's critical for actually yanking the empty casing out of the chamber, but I think it's most important role is to swing the shell casing out towards the right and free of the port.

Tokarev
06-30-2012, 06:26 PM
I am just thinking that if the pin is tapered, perhaps your best bet would be to make one with a small cavity at the smaller side of the taper and slightly swage it in place using a sharp center punch. That would call for a softer material than drill bit.
Perhaps you might even anneal just that cavity area...
Hoping someone with more experience in gunsmithing can correct me if I am wrong.

MBTcustom
07-01-2012, 12:33 AM
I don't have any experience with the CZ82, but I looked it up and found some detailed drawrings of the parts you are referring to. If it were me, at first blush I would be thinking about trying to find a roll pin that could be pushed in place of the solid pin you are having trouble with, but without seeing it with my own eyes, its hard to be sure.

John in WI
07-01-2012, 08:03 PM
I took the weapon to a friends machine shop and he used a carbide burr to bring the hole to perfectly round. Then we installed a piece of roll pin. Here was the interesting part. He used a TIG welder to build up the very ends of the rod (after we cut about 1mm shorter than needed). He used some kind of low-strength alloy for it. And we polished it out smooth with the pin. Finally, we reinstalled it, and then from the top and bottom, used a sharp punch to flare the ends slightly. The fit was perfect, so this tiny flaring should be plenty to keep it in place. But I think if I ever need to get it out again, I should be able to tap it free. Anyway,seems to cycle and extract properly now, and I'm not seeing evidence that it's going to fling loose on me again.

MBTcustom
07-04-2012, 12:35 PM
There you go.