PDA

View Full Version : Paraffin Wax For Mold Sprue Plate and Bolts?

daddyseal
06-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Is that a good thing to melt into those moving parts, please?

paul h
06-28-2012, 06:39 PM
The problem I find with doing that is you get too much on the sprue plate, it get's into the mold cavity, and your next several to dozen castings have porosity all over them until the hydrocarbons burn out of the cavities.

daddyseal
06-28-2012, 07:10 PM
The problem I find with doing that is you get too much on the sprue plate, it get's into the mold cavity, and your next several to dozen castings have porosity all over them until the hydrocarbons burn out of the cavities.

If I did that, I would be careful not to get that much in there.
But do you do anything to those parts of your new molds, please?

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-28-2012, 07:14 PM
I use Randyrat's ziplube for lubing the sprueplate and allignment pins.
depending on how hot you run the mold, you may need to reapply after 50 to 100 cycles.
Jon

0verkill
06-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Paraffin will work okay if that's what ya got. Be careful about getting it in the cavaties when lubing the allignment pins. JUst put a dab on the sprueplate screw and let it work it's self between the blocks and plate.

MtGun44
06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
No. It burns on and messes it up. Use Bullplate or one of the substitute synthetic mold lubes
VERY sparingly.

Bill

leadman
06-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Spray graphite or moly will work on the mold and sprue plate surfaces. This is what I used until I bought some Bullplate lube.
Midway mold release or NAPA spray graphite works well for this.

daddyseal
06-29-2012, 06:05 AM
I use Randyrat's ziplube for lubing the sprueplate and allignment pins.
depending on how hot you run the mold, you may need to reapply after 50 to 100 cycles.
Jon
I have replacement springs for the Lyman 45 lubesizer, If your's is weak or missing, let me know

I didn't know my Lyman lubesizers had springs~!!

Where can I get Randyrat's ziplube, please?

zuke
06-29-2012, 08:00 AM
What's wrong with Bull plate lube?

daddyseal
06-29-2012, 08:15 AM
What's wrong with Bull plate lube?

I'd love to get some....but folks here say it's not for sale anymore,
If it is...please tell me where I can get a little?

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-29-2012, 09:22 AM
I didn't know my Lyman lubesizers had springs~!!
Where can I get Randyrat's ziplube, please?

Zip lube
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131679
works as good as bullplate for a sprue lube.

only the Lyman model 45 has a spring.
it's a handle lift/return spring.
it holds the handle in the up position.
It isn't necessary, but it sure is nice.
Jon

daddyseal
06-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Zip lube
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131679
works as good as bullplate for a sprue lube.

only the Lyman model 45 has a spring.
it's a handle lift/return spring.
it holds the handle in the up position.
It isn't necessary, but it sure is nice.
Jon

Gotcha...mine is a used 450.
I'll look into Zip Lube
Thanks~!
don

popper
06-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Echo 2 cycle lube. Low ash content, lasts a good 3-400 pours.

geargnasher
06-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Daddyseal, do yourself a favor and spend some time going through the "classics and stickies" section of the forum, and check the sticky list at the top of the first page of each sub-formum, most of the "newbie" questions have been asked and answered, that's what the stickies are for ;)

Here's a good one, although it should probably be moved to the mould forum instead of being in the lube forum:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=137982

Randyrat sells the equivalent of Bullplate Sprueplate Lube, which became the "gold standard" of mould lubrication among the membership when the Bullshop was in business.

The forum search feature helps sometimes, but it's admittedly difficult to optimize (at least for me) because many keywords, like "mould" and "lube" come up in just about every thread. It can still help though.

Gear

daddyseal
06-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Daddyseal, do yourself a favor and spend some time going through the "classics and stickies" section of the forum, and check the sticky list at the top of the first page of each sub-formum, most of the "newbie" questions have been asked and answered, that's what the stickies are for ;)

Here's a good one, although it should probably be moved to the mould forum instead of being in the lube forum:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=137982

Randyrat sells the equivalent of Bullplate Sprueplate Lube, which became the "gold standard" of mould lubrication among the membership when the Bullshop was in business.

The forum search feature helps sometimes, but it's admittedly difficult to optimize (at least for me) because many keywords, like "mould" and "lube" come up in just about every thread. It can still help though.

Gear
I try searching and end up as you said...Will look at more Stickys more. But I thank you kind members who can help me find links that I can't find.
I truly appreciate the help~!!

geargnasher
07-01-2012, 08:09 PM
No problem, just trying to return the favor from all those that helped me find info when I first found this fine place.

We "petition" the mods to make stickies out of some of the better threads when the topic keeps coming up repeatedly, like "can you shoot gas check boolits without the check" and "what's the best flux", etc., that way those who respond don't have to keep typing the same answers out week after week and can just post a link to the sticky next time it comes up from someone who missed the sticky.

Gear

MikeS
07-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Gear: You're right, I posted that in the wrong forum! Maybe one of the nice moderators can move it to where it belongs, the mould forum.

geargnasher
07-05-2012, 02:16 AM
Gear: You're right, I posted that in the wrong forum! Maybe one of the nice moderators can move it to where it belongs, the mould forum.

I'm sure they would if you PM'd one and asked, but I'm leaving that up to you since it's your thread. (and a valuable one, too by the way) :drinks:

Gear

MikeS
07-05-2012, 04:55 AM
I'll do that. thanks!