PDA

View Full Version : You Favorite Lubesizer Lube?

daddyseal
06-28-2012, 06:24 PM
And why, please?
I know there are lots of recipes out there, but my favorite is White Label's (High Speed) "Carnauba Red".

Does Anybody Here Have A Recipe Approximating That, Please?

btroj
06-28-2012, 06:29 PM
I have not yet settled on a favorite.
I have used NRA 50/50, Felox lube, MMl, Carnuba Red, and Bens Red.

I am currently trying a few new things in conjunction with the testing Gear and Run are doing.

Many lubes work well. It is in the extremes of pressure, velocity, and temperature that problems arise.

I found CR to be a good lube for many things. It failed in cold barrels and cold weather. I would not use it in my 32-20 for squirrel hunting as a cold barrel shot could be out of the group by up to 2 inches at 50 yards. Didn't meet the accuracy needs for that use.

As for a CR recipe, never have seen one here. I don't think anyone has even tried, the price from Lars is so good it isn't worth trying.

paul h
06-28-2012, 06:42 PM
There is no one perfect lube for all applications, so it depends on what you are shooting and your ambient conditions.

Given While Label's very reasonable prices, it simply isn't worth the bother to try and emulate his lubes. He buys his components in bulk and passes the savings on to you. If carnuba red works for you, just buy a flate rate mailer full of em and enjoy it until you run out.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-28-2012, 07:08 PM
commercial ?
I like White Labels BAC for low power pistol
I like Randyrat's Tak+ for rifle and Mag Pistol

Homemade ?
post #93
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26524&page=5

Herb3
06-28-2012, 07:13 PM
I have been very happy with White Label's BAC here and once I am out of that I am going to try Randyrat's Tac

plainsman456
06-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I have been using 2500+ for some months and it is used in both rifles and pistols.
So far I am more than pleased with the ease of cleaning and the groups aren't bad ether.

zomby woof
06-28-2012, 10:56 PM
2500+ ftw

daddyseal
06-29-2012, 08:19 AM
I have not yet settled on a favorite.
I have used NRA 50/50, Felox lube, MMl, Carnuba Red, and Bens Red.

I am currently trying a few new things in conjunction with the testing Gear and Run are doing.

Many lubes work well. It is in the extremes of pressure, velocity, and temperature that problems arise.

I found CR to be a good lube for many things. It failed in cold barrels and cold weather. I would not use it in my 32-20 for squirrel hunting as a cold barrel shot could be out of the group by up to 2 inches at 50 yards. Didn't meet the accuracy needs for that use.

As for a CR recipe, never have seen one here. I don't think anyone has even tried, the price from Lars is so good it isn't worth trying.

OK, I get a different one and color for cold shooting.
Lars?...where can I see get some to try, friend?

captaint
06-29-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm still in the experimenting stage. So far, I've used 50/50, White Label BAC and LBT's Blue Soft. The 50/50 was great, except for handling. The BAC is good, except a little tacky, and the LBT Blue works well - still a little tacky. I have all the stuff for making Felix lube and I have some Carnauba Red I haven't tried yet. They've all worked fine though. enjoy Mike

blikseme300
06-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Been using a 50/50 mix of CR & BAC for pistol. Ran out a while back and just received my order of TAC#1. This will be used in a Star to lube pistol boolits. I will report back my findings after this coming weekend as I will be comparing the 2.

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H.Callahan
06-29-2012, 03:16 PM
White Label's BAC & CR.

ShooterAZ
06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Mine are White Label BAC and 2500+.

btroj
06-29-2012, 04:59 PM
OK, I get a different one and color for cold shooting.
Lars?...where can I see get some to try, friend?

Lars is the man behind White Label lubes.. Great guy, great products.

Hamish
06-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Spend the time to read *all* of the" Extreme boolit lube" thread, it's time well spent.

H.Callahan
06-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Lars is the man behind White Label lubes.. Great guy, great products.
Amen! BTW, he will send you samples to try for just a minimal shipping fee. Give 'em a try. You won't regret it.

HDS
06-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Is carnauba red a workable lube for .45ACP or 9mm? It sound great for .44mag, but I also run the other two through my sizer and it would be nice to share lube across them all. I'd like to try it and see.

btroj
06-30-2012, 04:44 PM
I have shot a fair bit of Car in 45 ACP. Worked well enough. Don't have a 9mm buti bet it would be just fine.

H.Callahan
07-01-2012, 06:34 PM
As long as you can heat the lube in your sizer (or pan lube), CR works just fine in .45ACP & 9mm.

dbarnhart
07-01-2012, 09:31 PM
RandyRat's TAC#1 is my new favorite lube because it produces the least amount of smoke of anything I've tried.

HDS
07-02-2012, 04:27 AM
RandyRat's TAC#1 is my new favorite lube because it produces the least amount of smoke of anything I've tried.

Yeah I don't have a heater, I heard a lightbulb shining on the sizer works as an improvised solution though?

paul h
07-02-2012, 12:33 PM
I don't have a heater for my lube sizer and what I do when I need to heat it is use a heat gun to get it warmed up then start lube sizing. It'll cool down after ~100 bullets so I just heat it up again. Not as precise as a pid controlled heater, but works well enough.

geargnasher
07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Tac #1 shouldn't require a heater unless your sizer is below about 70 F.

+1 on the high-wattage incandescent lightbulb, I use a 100-watt bulb in one of those small-reflector, spring-clamp spotlight housings you can get at the home stores for about $5. Don't leave the lamp unattended, I think they're only rated for a 75=watt bulb for continous use.

Gear

**oneshot**
07-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I've been working with a mix of 3 parts BAC to 1 part CRed. So far it's great in my 41 and hornet.

geargnasher
07-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I've been working with a mix of 3 parts BAC to 1 part CRed. So far it's great in my 41 and hornet.

That's a good formula right there, good for LOTS of different calibers and loads.

Gear

ColColt
07-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Sounds like something I need to try. So far with the calibers I shoot-38 Spec, 357, 44 Mag and 45 ACP the BAC and CR have met my needs.

ShooterAZ
07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
That's a good formula right there, good for LOTS of different calibers and loads.

Gear

Gear,

Please explain why this formula might be a good one. (3/BAC to 1/CR). I have both, and am wondering why you think this. My issue with BAC is softness at 80+ degrees...but beyond that it is a great lube in 45ACP, 38SP, and mid range 44M. The CR is a stiffer lube for sure. I have been using 2500+ in my full house 44 loads. Is lube softness the reason? Just curious.

Shooter

geargnasher
07-04-2012, 12:22 AM
ShooterAZ, it isn't a "might", it's a definite in several rifles and pistols I own from .38 Special to 2K fps small and medium-bore rifles. It'll also stand up to .40 S&W at full-tilt velocities. The disadvantages come in extreme heat and extreme cold, as with most lubes, but it's better than BAC or C.Red alone as far as versatility.

Reasons? Well, one fixes the issues with the other. BAC has too much Alox for my liking and has the same tendency to accumulate fouling in the grooves after a long string in the heat as NRA 50/50, and that has a negative effect on rifle accuracy in guns capable of telling the difference. The stuff has a higher melt point than NRA 50/50, but not much. 25% C.Red mixed in brings the melt point up, stiffens the lube a bit, dilutes the Alox, makes the lube a bit cleaner, and for me at least it seems to shoot better most of the time, although it's tough to beat straight C.Red in really hot weather. Not impossible, but tough. It's a good lube. In warm weather at high velocity and pressure. In cooler weather, it has a tendency to throw flyers until the barrel warms up and things "settle in". The BAC tends to lower the shootable temperature some, but not a whole lot, maybe 10-15 degrees. You can almost get to freezing without cold barrel flyers being too bad with the 3:1 mix.

It's not my favorite lube, but it's sure a good one, and will serve most anyone's needs well from 40-100 degrees.

Gear

Mal Paso
07-04-2012, 03:14 AM
El Mal Negro Lube ( The Bad Black ) My version of Glen Fryxell's Beeswax and Moly-Graph Grease. 3 parts RandyRat's Beeswax, 2 parts Moly-Graph (by weight). Mixes easily in a Pyrex Cup heated in the microwave and pours into the Lyman 4500. I use a little heat to get good fill in the groove but it's still soft and tacky cold. It held up when I went to Phoenix. I shot about 150 rounds in a 6" 629 last Saturday from 1250 to 1500 fps, not a spec of lead in the bore. I run a brush to see what's in the bore and a dry patch. The rest of the gun is filthy, that Black Lube goes everywhere, especially between the cylinder and crane. 200 rounds and it's time to pull the cylinder and clean but I never have to think about the bore. It seems to split and flow out in a thin film. The spent cases have a thin film.

Best lube I've used so far but I'm watching the experiments here with interest.

Longone
07-04-2012, 08:14 AM
I have been following this and several other threads about lube with great interest. I have used RCBS, Jakes Purple and CR to date. Ambient temp comes into play with all the lubes and their uses.
My best results in 30 cal. rifle are with Jakes purple (70* plus) and RCBS from about 50-80*. CR seemed to shoot fliers even after the barrel was fouled and warmed and never shot the size groups of Jakes.

I have a bunch of 45 ACP loaded with CR and am hoping to get out and try them this week. Also picked up some of RandyRats lube to try, read alot of good about his lube so I thought it would be good to try.

Still a ton to learn.

Longone

ShooterAZ
07-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Gear,

Thanks for the in depth explanation. I quickly grew weary of mixing homemade lubes. I also quickly developed a disliking for LLA for the most part. While lube making is a good thing to know how to do, White Label has saved me a lot of time & frustration. I never thought of blending any of Lar's lubes. On my next order I may get some solid sticks and give it a try. PS: I didn't mean to imply that it "might not" be a good lube. I just wondered why and how it would be better than one or the other. Thanks again...Shooter.

geargnasher
07-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I didn't mean to sound like I took it the wrong way, I was only emphasizing that I wasn't just another keyboard expert like you may find on other forums shooting off his mouth about a certain lube, I've actually made that exact formula and wrung it ouw pretty well. It isn't perfect, but it's good one, especially where you live, and White Lable are good folks. Good luck!

Gear

fredj338
07-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Is carnauba red a workable lube for .45ACP or 9mm? It sound great for .44mag, but I also run the other two through my sizer and it would be nice to share lube across them all. I'd like to try it and see.

I have used it for just about everything from 45acp to 45-70, magnums, 9mm, etc. It is my fav. commercial lube. I may be trying some of Randy's lube just because I hear good things about it.

randyrat
07-05-2012, 06:33 PM
No smoke also I had it out in the shop this week on some boolits all bunched together. I picked them up and kinda played with them, no stickiness and they didn't cling together. THE BEST PART the shop was 100 Degs F. No heater needed above 70 Deg F.............glad you enjoyed it

softpoint
07-05-2012, 06:59 PM
I use Felix lube for 90% of my shooting. BAC for the other 10%. Don't have any seriously cold weather here in Texas, but it's over 100 degrees today. I cook up triple or quad batches of Felix lube at a time. :cbpour:

hermans
07-06-2012, 07:50 AM
C R in my heated Star for 45ACP works all the time in all our weather conditions here in sunny South Africa, and the performance you get for the price.......you cannot beat that!:drinks:

Frank V
07-07-2012, 06:00 PM
I have been very happy with SPG the past two years. I shoot mostly handguns & for that SPG works great even with BP.
My next choice would be Javilina, I used it for years before switching to SPG.
Frank

blikseme300
07-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Been using a 50/50 mix of CR & BAC for pistol. Ran out a while back and just received my order of TAC#1. This will be used in a Star to lube pistol boolits. I will report back my findings after this coming weekend as I will be comparing the 2.

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update to my earlier post.

I filled my Star's with TAC by melting the sticks and pouring in. A single stick almost fills to the breather hole.

Boolits lubed were 356-120-TC & 452-230-TC boolits cast using a blend of WW's, range lead and tin. Sizing was done using a .357 & .452 dies in Star's. The TAC needed a little heat and flowed well into the grooves. Temperature in my garage was in the mid 90's during sizing and the lube was slightly sticky and very similar to my previous lube blend. After being left in the air-conditioned house overnight the lube was much less sticky.

Loading was done with the 9mm in a LnL AP and the 45ACP in a Loadmaster. 4 Dies were used in order to allow crimping after seating. Custom powder thru expanders were used to properly open up the brass to prevent boolits being squeezed down.

Velocities for the 9mm chronied at 1050fps from a CZ75BD and the 45ACP at 840fps from a Colt Gold Cup.

Smoke was much less than my previous mix while still leaving a nice star on the muzzle. No leading after 200 rounds through each pistol.

I can recommend Randy's lube and service to all members here.

Bliksem

H.Callahan
07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah I don't have a heater, I heard a lightbulb shining on the sizer works as an improvised solution though?

+1 on the high-wattage incandescent lightbulb, I use a 100-watt bulb in one of those small-reflector, spring-clamp spotlight housings you can get at the home stores for about $5. Don't leave the lamp unattended, I think they're only rated for a 75=watt bulb for continous use.
Pick up an infrared warming bulb like they use in fast food restaurants to keep the prepared food hot (and dry the hell out of everything). Little bit more expensive than a regular bulb, but they put out more heat.

In pet stores they sell bulbs for providing heat for lizards that produce more heat and less light. However, they are a fair amount more expensive than a regular infrared bulb.