PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #2 Alloy vs 20:1

HPT
06-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Anyone seen an accuracy increase with a plain base bullet using smokeless by going to #2 Alloy from something softer? Been using 20:1 in .38-55 at low velocity - works with BP but smokeless shoots way worse even at the same velocities.

btroj
06-28-2012, 07:16 AM
There are an awful lot of suitable alloys between those two. I think Lyman 2 is a bit excessive in Sb and Sn.
I like something more like 2 3 percent antimony and 1 percent tin. Casts well enough, hard enough for most of my shooting. I add some magnum shot if I want to water drop for even harder, yet tough, bullets for hunting.

But yes, a too soft bullet will give horrible accuracy in many cases. 20:1 would be fine for low velocity, low pressure smokeless loads. Trying to push it much over 1300 fps is not going to cause happiness. Something like WW and lead 50:50 would be much better for those loads.

In the end, it depends on your gun, your bullet, ypur lube, your load, and who knows what else. Trial and error is the best way to know for sure.

HPT
06-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks btroj,

Just finished casting some #2 Alloy & loaded up 38-55 & 44 mag to try this weekend. Will let you know if there is any improvement.

smithywess
06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Anyone seen an accuracy increase with a plain base bullet using smokeless by going to #2 Alloy from something softer? Been using 20:1 in .38-55 at low velocity - works with BP but smokeless shoots way worse even at the same velocities.

What's the bullet diameter you're firing with these powders, and just as importantly what's the groove diameter of your rifle. Black powder will obturate a bullet to fit a a barrel with a groove diameter greater than itself but not so with smokeless. If your groove diameter is larger than the bullet try using a filler such as polyethylene shot buffer which will act as a flexible gas check and stop hot gases getting up and around your bullet burning the sides up. Or use a gas checked bullet. Are you getting a lot of leading with your smokeless loads? If you are then it's likely those hot gases are to blame. Better to fire a bullet one or two or even three thousandths of an inch above groove diameter, sized that way or not.