PDA

View Full Version : Saeco furnace needs rebuilt

3006guns
04-26-2007, 07:44 PM
I have one of the older Saeco bottom draw lead pots and it's one of my most treasured tools. I inherited it from a wonderful old gentleman who has since passed on, but not before spending time giving me the gift of his many years of reloading/emperimental shooting experience. Now to the question..the old girl is starting to show her age (gracefully mind you) and could probably stand to be rebuilt. A new thermostat, cord and general clean up would be nice, but does anyone do such repair work? :-D

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-26-2007, 08:14 PM
I suspect, but couldn't prove it without actually handling it, that you can find parts to repair that one through an industrial supply outfit, either online or locally. You'd have to take the parts you need out and identify them. These sorts of things are brebuilt regularly in factories, so the parts are out there and are fairly standard. You may have to retrofit, but it can be done.

Regards,

Dave

3006guns
04-26-2007, 08:27 PM
That's not a bad idea Dave. I could measure the resistance of the thermostat and find a close replacement. The cord is nothing more that an old style appliance cord and still available I believe. Any chance someone is making a reproduction of the metal label on the front of the pot? Mine is still decent, but it would be nice to have a shiney new one just for the heck of it.

TAWILDCATT
04-26-2007, 09:50 PM
you may find parts but I havent.I need thermostart as does engineer at redding.Redding bought the molds but not the pot.Saeco pot was same as old Lyman.[saeco95687@yahoo.com]may get you what you want.

3006guns
04-26-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm gonna start snooping around....if I find something suitable I'll post the info here for everyone to see.

EDK
04-27-2007, 03:21 AM
Call SAECO and talk to the NICE LADY. If I remember correctly, they recommend a place called KINGS KILNS in a Kansas City, MO suburb. I have a 35 year old ladle pot that died and is in pieces that I should have had repaired years back. (A divorce and subsequent move have it buried somewhere in my junk.)

:castmine:

e15cap
04-27-2007, 08:36 AM
I believe Kings told me $75 plus shipping to rebuild

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-27-2007, 05:04 PM
At the price of those higher priced pots, that's a pretty good deal. How big is the Saeco poundage wise?

Dave

DLCTEX
04-27-2007, 09:13 PM
If the Saeco is 110 volt and close to Lee's 700 watt, the thermostat from theirs should work. You can measure the resistence of the element with an ohm meter, but you would need an element from the Lee pot to measure to compare and see if the element would work, or, as cheap as the Lee thermostat is, buy one and try it, I'll bet it will work. Also, one from an old clothes iron could be utilized. Just my dos centavos. DALE

Bad Water Bill
04-28-2007, 07:27 PM
The Saeco pots (2) I have rebuilt both had bimetalic controle switches on them. A Lee switch can be used with some modification.The bigger problem is the cord end. You may have to go to a thrift store to find one with the CORRECT fit as the big hardware chains do not carry the correct size. Close but no cigar. As for the heating elements mine were both good so cant help there BWB

nvbirdman
04-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey 3006 what's the serial number on yours? Mine is k53. I bought mine used back in the early seventies. Don't know how old it is.

smokemjoe
04-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I got mine in 1962, It finally gave out and like lost my best friend,But I got a used RCBS Pro melter and its even better, Joe

TAWILDCATT
04-29-2007, 02:20 PM
is not that place out of business.the site I listed above use lee thermostarts to repair.:coffeecom :brokenima