PDA

View Full Version : Lead prices in my area

Huskerguy
06-27-2012, 08:01 PM
I picked up some WW from a shop while in western Kansas a few weeks ago. He said to pay him whatever scrap lead prices are right now.

I sorted through the buckets and had about 120 lbs of clip on wheel weights and another 40 lbs of softer stick on weights. I got pretty good at detecting the zinc and steel ones after a while.

Called my local scrap yard and they gave me the following three prices:
1. 35 cents paid for scrap lead
2. 10 cents if it is wheel weights - they want the steel off
3. 70 cents if I want to buy any they have

Is that pretty normal for your areas as well? Now I have to figure out what to pay the guy. Don't want to be unfair.

kbstenberg
06-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Just remember; He mite become the a permament supplier, or he mite become your only supplier. Its up to you.

1845greyhounds
06-27-2012, 09:41 PM
I offer what the current scrap WW price is per scrapmonster.com. I've found it handy to have the scrapmonster website open on my phone when talking to shops. Some will want more... Sometimes I choose to pay more... It's also handy to have bathroom scale (get one from goodwill for $1), or an estimate of how heavy a level full 5 gal bucket is (~125#).

DHurtig
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
The scrap yard I deal with is paying .25 for scrap lead and selling it for .45 . Dale

lwknight
06-29-2012, 07:18 PM
The scrap yard I deal with is paying .25 for scrap lead and selling it for .45 . Dale

If there is enough of it we can get rich. You buy it and I will sell it and we can split the profit. I can get $0.60 all day long.

Bored1
06-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Seems pretty much like what Ive been told here in Omaha. Most tire shops start @ $20 a 5 gallon bucket and then work down from there depending on how full the bucket is. Local scrap yards are paying 0.20-0.35 per lb, then selling for 0.60-1.00 per lb. Bathroom scale does help alot, if you go in the morning Ive learned a dozen donuts will stretch your cash out quite a bit ;)