PDA

View Full Version : Lee 457-405 wanting to open her up to .459

MK1MICAH
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
I Know I know! its been done but I am having a problem finding a post regarding just opening up a mold? I have read the sticky on lementing with AJAX/Commet ect. will that process open it up that much? I was actually thinking of using valve lapping compound since I have access to it in diferent grades. Any help you guys can offer will be appriciated and I plan on doing this tonight. I can also post up some pictures of the process if it can help others. :drinks:

Thanks

-Micah

dragonrider
06-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Yes valve lapping compound is the way to go. I have done it numerous time. Being careful it does very good job. .002" is very doable. Clean and check often.

Wally
06-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Yes valve lapping compound is the way to go. I have done it numerous time. Being careful it does very good job. .002" is very doable. Clean and check often.

Would he not be better off using Comet cleanser that is wet? It is not as aggressive as is the valve grinding compound and might be a better choice for his first attempt. With an ferrous mold one has no choice and must use valve grinding compound.

John Boy
06-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Would he not be better off just 'Beagleing' the mold? It's reversible too

paul h
06-27-2012, 08:39 PM
I'd say lapping out the mold is the way to go as properly done it will improve your molds cavity by making it truly round and smooth.

06-28-2012, 12:10 AM
I've lapped and beagled. Beagling is easy, is just as easily un-beagled, and any out-of-roundness is inconsequential.

Lapping is time consumming, unless it's a two-cavity aluminum mould, and can never be un-lapped.

Beagle first, if it works to your satisfaction, you can always lap it.

nanuk
06-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Try THIS (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3172) one!

Moonie
06-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Have you measured the boolits with a micrometer to make sure they are only .457?

MK1MICAH
06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Have you measured the boolits with a micrometer to make sure they are only .457?

Yes and it seems depending on alloy the can run almost to .458

MK1MICAH
06-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Well the valve grinding compound seems to work rather well and imbeds itself well into the lead making almost a firelapping round if you will. I am however havinh one hell of a time getting the screw to drive straight into the Boolit

paul h
06-28-2012, 03:18 PM
The downside of lapping is you really need a lathe to get a hole centered in the bullet to put in a screw or stud for lapping. If you're really good with a drill press you can get a hole centered within a few thousands. The key is to start the hole with a center drill, then drill to size and depth.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Chucks/Back_plate/Center_drill_.jpg

MK1MICAH
06-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Hello
I used an 1/64 piolet followed by an 1/8 bit then ran a screw down in the hole, cut the head off with a die grinder. Then chucked it up in a drill press and let her run for a few minuets. The result is a Boolit that is now .003 over the starting .457. Its easily throwing .459-.460 sized Boolits all day long. I will tonight use the commet method to degroove and deburr the cavitys. Should throw em' nice n pretty.

nanuk
07-01-2012, 02:45 AM
you can also cast the lap through a hex nut, and use a wrench to turn it

MK1MICAH
07-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks guys they are dropping so nice as they are. I do think that this weekend I will be Ajaxing the cavities to polish em up. but I have to say these look as good as store bought.
Ill get some good pictures and post em' up ASAP

Buckshot
07-04-2012, 01:58 AM
I Know I know! its been done but I am having a problem finding a post regarding just opening up a mold? I have read the sticky on lementing with AJAX/Commet ect. will that process open it up that much? I was actually thinking of using valve lapping compound since I have access to it in diferent grades. Any help you guys can offer will be appriciated and I plan on doing this tonight. I can also post up some pictures of the process if it can help others. :drinks:

Thanks

-Micah

..............AHHHHHHHHHHHK, another falls foul of the infamous tiny Lee 457 - 405F :-) Join the crowd, as I've had 3 of'em over a bunch of years and always hoped I'd get a fat one. Never did happen. I do use one with it's "As Cast' slugs paper patched with 20# bond to get a .472" slug for use in the 577-450 Martini.

Send a PM to 9.3x62Al and simply ask him if he likes the Lee 457-405-F !! :shock: I dont recall now if it was his 3rd or 4th of that number that he took and drove quite a distance to throw as far as he could into a lake. I think it was some sort of therapy. :veryconfu

..............Buckshot

FergusonTO35
07-05-2012, 09:34 AM
I would like to turn my Lee .309 120 grain round nose mold into a 130-140 grain flat point. I want to keep it the current diameter, just lengthen and flat point the nose. Is this feasible?

MK1MICAH
07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
..............AHHHHHHHHHHHK, another falls foul of the infamous tiny Lee 457 - 405F :-) Join the crowd, as I've had 3 of'em over a bunch of years and always hoped I'd get a fat one. Never did happen. I do use one with it's "As Cast' slugs paper patched with 20# bond to get a .472" slug for use in the 577-450 Martini.

Send a PM to 9.3x62Al and simply ask him if he likes the Lee 457-405-F !! :shock: I dont recall now if it was his 3rd or 4th of that number that he took and drove quite a distance to throw as far as he could into a lake. I think it was some sort of therapy. :veryconfu

..............Buckshot

Hello
Mine is good to go now and casting some beautys. Im good to go Ill buy another Lee and do the same any day. But what works for me may not work for most as I have one Hell of a shop at my disposial and have enought attention to detail to drive me crazy.:-P

MK1MICAH
07-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I would like to turn my Lee .309 120 grain round nose mold into a 130-140 grain flat point. I want to keep it the current diameter, just lengthen and flat point the nose. Is this feasible?

Yes and sounds like it will be worth it to you.
8-)