PDA

View Full Version : Lee 4-20

saguaro
06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Got my. New Lee 4-20 up and running finally. Lapped the rod and was finally able to cast up some bookings with my RCBS .45 cowboy mold. Knocked out 200 in no time and shot them last Sunday.

Awesome to be back at it again. Pot ran fine but the breeze did freeze the spout a couple times. A work in progress as with all my shooting stuff.

Saguaro

1bluehorse
06-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Good for you....it's a fine hobby huh..maybe you can make a shield around the pot to help keep the breeze from the spout. Some here make or buy a PID for their pots to keep a constant temperature. I used a Lee pot for awhile and cast with a couple Lee molds keeping the temps at 700+ degrees (using a thermometer) and really never had a problem with spout "freeze" and made some pretty good bullets ta boot, but I also cast inside a building. How did those bullets shoot for you????good to see someone else has fallen prey to this insidious pastime..:bigsmyl2:

saguaro
06-27-2012, 02:15 PM
They shot great. I used the mold some years ago and have always been happy with it. The thing I really like about it is that it has a big lube groove so I can use it for BP as well as smokeless.

Saguaro

Cowboy T
06-27-2012, 04:24 PM
To prevent spout freeze, consider turning up your pot's temperature up some. I don't get that freeze even in the dead of winter with snow on the ground, and I typically run my pot at 700+ degrees, depending on which mould I'm using. Maybe that'll help.