PDA

View Full Version : Lace on Cheek Pad

Uncle Grinch
06-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Looking for a lace on cheek pad for my #4 Enfield. (I realize the original was wood) Found two styles, one for the M1 Garand and another for the Belgian-FAL and the British SLR. Not sure which would work best on the Enfield.

Anyone familiar with either of these?

Dutchman
06-26-2012, 10:08 PM
The Garand lace-on cheek piece is for the M1-C and/or M1-D sniper rifles where the scope is OFF-SET from the bore hence the cheek thingie moves the cheek to the LEFT to compensate for this. It is not useful for a scope mounted OVER the bore.

Suggestion: No.4 buttstocks are cheap and easy (like my favorite kind of wimmin). Get a 2nd buttstock and fashion an elevated comb of wood like the original No.4(T) or some such design. There are alternatives if you spend some time searching.

I messed around with doing something like this on a Swedish Mauser stock since I had a couple dozen spare empty stocks. I cut the bottom section out of a stock. I then cut a matching section out of the comb of another stock and fit the rounded section into this place on the comb creating a raised comb. It actually worked out really well but I never pursued it further.

In the upper right corner you can see this chopped off Swedish buttstock standing upright on the shelf.

http://images19.fotki.com/v35/photos/2/28344/474695/la7-vi.jpg

Dutch

Multigunner
06-26-2012, 10:55 PM
While the Garand cheekpiece is intended to compensate for the offset scope mount of theSniper versions it has been sucessfully adapted to the No.4 rifle.
The cheekpiece itself is padded and the padding can be pulled out through a slot on the inside and thinned out or otherwise moved around to suit the shooters hold.

Not sure if the slot is open on the cheekpiece as is of if they cut a slot for the purpose.

I haven't tried one of these myself but some Enfield owners have posted about using it on their scoped No.4 rifles.