View Full Version : 13 grains of Red Dot--hunt with it?

Elkins45
06-26-2012, 10:01 PM
The boolet in question is the RCBS .35-200 FN out of a 35 Whelen using "the load" of 13 grains of Red Dot. My chrono has gone screwy so I can't tell you how fast it's going.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/images/rcbs/item/FullA/82028.jpg

I was shooting some of them from my Marlin XL-7 rebarreled to 35 Whelen today and I noticed of all the rounds I shot the ones from the Whelen were the most interesting because every shot resulted in a dramatic WHACK when the meplat of the boolet smacked onto the berm behind the target. None of the other calibers with pointy boolets sounded anything like the thump this bullet was making.

So that got me to thinking---would this be a good enough load to cleanly take a whitetail at 100 yards or so? A 200 grain FN at (guessing) 1200 fps or so?

Your thoughts?

dk17hmr
06-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Lots of deer get killed with 357 magnums every year. Close range, calm animal, I wouldnt think twice about it.

A 50/50 boolit alloy would be what I want though, WW/Pure

Bob Krack
06-27-2012, 07:51 PM
The boolet in question is the RCBS .35-200 FN out of a 35 Whelen using "the load" of 13 grains of Red Dot. My chrono has gone screwy so I can't tell you how fast it's going.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/images/rcbs/item/FullA/82028.jpg

I was shooting some of them from my Marlin XL-7 rebarreled to 35 Whelen today and I noticed of all the rounds I shot the ones from the Whelen were the most interesting because every shot resulted in a dramatic WHACK when the meplat of the boolet smacked onto the berm behind the target. None of the other calibers with pointy boolets sounded anything like the thump this bullet was making.

So that got me to thinking---would this be a good enough load to cleanly take a whitetail at 100 yards or so? A 200 grain FN at (guessing) 1200 fps or so?

Your thoughts?
Surely you jest Sir?

If it don't, it ain't gonna git done.

Bob

ammohead
06-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Seen any buffalo lately?

Velocity about equal. Boolit weight is quite a bit less, but so is animal weight.

Something like 10 million of the big shaggies went down to cast boolits.

lead chucker
06-27-2012, 10:51 PM
I killed a black bear at 110 yards with a 200 gr at 1600 fps. The bear didn't know how fast it was going.

BK1
07-03-2012, 01:20 AM
Last fall my grandson using a 357 94 marlin by mistake used the light plinking loads while hunting.Two whitetails were taken 45 & 75 yds. I was very happy with the barns bullets being used till we saw the boolits had done the job.Pass through with an easy but unused blood trail.158 gr lee semi wc gc unique.In Momtana we buy doe tags over the counter so yes the small buck n large dry doe were on the up n up.Big go ahead for close hunting.....I'm a whelen lover too.

lead-1
07-03-2012, 02:57 AM
That was a good question Elkins45, I have wondered that same thing as I use that load in my .30-06. I have thought of it being a reduced load, would it bring down a deer at resonable distance?
As far as the buffalo comparison, myself, I would think that a load of 70 grains of black powder would pack more punch that 13 grains of Red Dot. Thanks for the input on this question and like I said my thinking was based on "reduced load" factor.

Plinkster
07-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Very few critters complain about being hit with too slow a bullet. The problems enter in with poor shot placement and I would argue that using a "plinking" load would only help to eliminate poor shots. I would think you're fine for deer, just keep your range close. It might help to crunch a few numbers and see how your load stacks up for ft lbs of energy against a few known killers. Again I think you're gonna be ok within a limited range.

Dan Cash
07-03-2012, 07:18 AM
As far as the buffalo comparison, myself, I would think that a load of 70 grains of black powder would pack more punch that 13 grains of Red Dot. factor.

It does. .45-500 or 70 gr black gives up about 1150fps. Unbelieveable what it will penetrate.

Elkins45
07-03-2012, 09:02 AM
The reason I'm asking about this specific load is because of how crazy accurate it is. I can put 5 into one ragged hole at 100 yards all day long.

I have a stand on the farm where visibility is limited to about 75 yards in any direction....it might be a good place to give this one a try in the fall. I've taken all sorts of deer with home poured boolets from a muzzle loader, but I've never hunted with boolets in a center fire before.

rexherring
07-04-2012, 11:41 AM
The reason I'm asking about this specific load is because of how crazy accurate it is. I can put 5 into one ragged hole at 100 yards all day long.

I have a stand on the farm where visibility is limited to about 75 yards in any direction....it might be a good place to give this one a try in the fall. I've taken all sorts of deer with home poured boolets from a muzzle loader, but I've never hunted with boolets in a center fire before.

There you go, a well placed shot is still more important than a fast boolit in a bad spot.

quilbilly
07-04-2012, 05:59 PM
having been muzzle load deer hunting for last almost 30 years and taken several dozen deer, a 200 gr boolit needs only to be going about 850 fps when it hits the deer to do the job handily. That is a 45 auto at the muzzle. If you are at 1200 fps at the muzzle, you are good to at least 150-175 or more without my ballistic tables at hand. This does not apply to either bear or elk which have heavier mass and bone structure so require a little higher terminal velocity for ethical reasons.