PDA

View Full Version : Help with gas checks please

AlabamaEd
06-26-2012, 09:00 PM
My mould is MiHa 454-297 brass casting Ruger Only boolits. Gascheck shank appears to be .428/.429. Hornady checks are too small. What checks should I use and where can I get them. Most checks are for a .426 shank. Thanks for your help.

RayinNH
06-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Hornady is .428, Gator is .426 You may need to make a tapered punch or use a ball bearing of appropriate size to bevel them a bit to start on the shank. You could always get a Freechex and make them yourself...Ray

canyon-ghost
06-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Blammer sells Gator Checks at the bottom of the page, under the Group Buy Log-in. Create a log-in and go to DJ's Corner. The drop down box will tell you which section you want to look at.

Blammer, DJ, Darrell, he sells Gator Checks and thinner Lyman styles too.

PS: His prices are better than most, too!

AlabamaEd
06-26-2012, 11:34 PM
That mould was a group buy here a few months ago. Wondering what other buyers are using or do I need to return the mould.

AlabamaEd
06-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Blammer sells Gator Checks at the bottom of the page, under the Group Buy Log-in. Create a log-in and go to DJ's Corner. The drop down box will tell you which section you want to look at.

Blammer, DJ, Darrell, he sells Gator Checks and thinner Lyman styles too.

PS: His prices are better than most, too!

I've been there, doesn't seem to be anything there that will fit.

AlabamaEd
06-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Hornady is .428, Gator is .426 You may need to make a tapered punch or use a ball bearing of appropriate size to bevel them a bit to start on the shank. You could always get a Freechex and make them yourself...Ray

My Hornady's are .426. Where could I get .428s they might work?

WILCO
06-27-2012, 08:49 AM
You could always get a Freechex and make them yourself...Ray

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=157477

largom
06-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Probably your best solution>

Larry

yonky
06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
My mould is MiHa 454-297 brass casting Ruger Only boolits. Gascheck shank appears to be .428/.429. Hornady checks are too small. What checks should I use and where can I get them. Most checks are for a .426 shank. Thanks for your help.

Try James sage ( sagebrush) he makes loads of different gas check calibres

AlabamaEd
06-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Try James sage ( sagebrush) he makes loads of different gas check calibres

I have bullets in route to see what he can do. I'll keep all updated on this issue. Thanks to all.

Sagebrush7
06-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Charlie is a great guy to deal with. Called him today at 12:00. He stopped what he was doing made a mandrel for the .45 and got it in the mail today! Do you know anyone else with that kind of commitment to the shooting sports?

Love Life
06-28-2012, 11:10 AM
I will second that Charlie is a great guy to deal with. I ordered and paid for my Freechex II on Saturday and received my gas check making tool on Monday! Can't beat that for fast shipping. He answered all my questions, and I had a bunch of them.

That being said, my 9mm mold has a large shank size and I had issues with standard gas checks working. I had a custom check making tool made by GoodSteel that solved those problems.

I wouldn't hesitate to order form Charlie or Goodsteel in the future.

AlabamaEd
07-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Problem solved-I received gaschecks today for the .428 shank. They fit perfectly. Much thanks to Sagebrush7 for the exceptional help. This forum rocks-great people willing to help make Boolit casting successful.

MGySgt
07-12-2012, 04:34 PM
If it was my mould - I would be asking Milha what is going on.

I beleive his moulds are suppose to fit the 'Standard' shanks. Now alloy can change the diameter some what.

What is your Alloy - in a 45 cal mould straight Lineotype might make the shank too large.