PDA

View Full Version : My father and his toys.......

x101airborne
06-26-2012, 05:19 PM
The old man has done it agian. WAY overpaid for a falling block winchester in 32 rimfire. It is a falling block and seems fairly sound. This thing looks to be about 150 years old, although I am sure it is not. Well, it got the gunsmiths nod of approval today. Question is...... Does anyone have any ammo for it? Know where to get some? Any help is appreciated.

part_timer
06-26-2012, 07:21 PM
I looked one time and think it was mountain state had some brass that took a primer/black powder and a round ball but they were like $5 each. I haven't seen any ammo in a while. Best of luck in your search though.

FWest
06-26-2012, 07:31 PM
http://www.dixiegunworks.com has some adapters to shoot round balls with black powder.

pietro
06-26-2012, 09:04 PM
HMmmmmmmm........... :confused:

A WINCHESTER falling block (which HAS to be a Model 1885), in .32 rimfire ? ? ? ?

AFAIK, The only RF rounds that the Winchester Model 1885 Single Shot rifle was chambered for were in .22 cal, not .32 cal.
All bores larger ( and some .22's) were centerfires.

Remington Rolling Blocks, however, were chambered in .32RF - as were the tipping-block Stevens Model 44's.

R U sure the rifle's a Winchester 1885 ?

R U sure the chambering's for .32RF ?

Got pix ?

My money's on the rifle being a Stevens - if so, the breeckblock is fairly easily converted to CF, making the commercially available .32 Short Colt CF a shooting proposition & a source of empty cases for loading (need heeled boolits. though)

x101airborne
06-26-2012, 09:52 PM
It is a Stevens. It is not a take down, but it is a Stevens. Im sorry. I had only seen the rifle once before going to the gunsmith and I did not remember correctly. But yes, it is a 32 rimfire. I wanted it converted to 32-20 centerfire and the gunsmith said it could not be converted to centerfire. I doubt his abilities as steel is steel and anything can be done. BUT... The old man wouldn't listen to me cause I am just a kid at my age and I dont know squat.

Sorry about the confusion, I really did remember it as a Winchester. I still need 32 rimfire, but I dont know if it is 32 rimfire short, standard, long, etc....

Mk42gunner
06-26-2012, 10:58 PM
I have seen a Winchester Low Wall in .32 RF. I didn't buy it because it was about twice what was in the gun budget at the time.

Navy Arms had a couple of runs of .32 Long and at least one run of .32 Short RF made in Brazil. I still see occassional boxes at gunshows for $35- $50 per box. Don't waste your money on it, the stuff leads terribly and doesn't group well in my Remington No. 2 Rolling Block.

As to converting it to centerfire-- It depends which Stevens rifle it is. Some of the favorites can be converted, but not to .32-20. The RF chamber will accept .32 Colt rounds, but you can't get brass for them. The best bet is to convert it to CF and rechamber to .32 S&W or .3S&W Long; again depending on which model the rifle is.

John Taylor has done a lot of this work, and can give you better advice than I can.

Robert

Hornetb
06-27-2012, 03:04 AM
Steel is not necessarily steel. Some of the stevens can handle a centre fire round and others cannot, it all depends on the action design. Generally the 32 rimfire stevens were the small favourite and not suitable for conversion and definitely not to 32-20. A good gunsmith will set you straight.

I'd forget the idea of shooting 32 rimfire. Not going to happen.

Only options as mentioned above, convert breach block to centre fire if the action can take it and rechamber to low powered 32 S&W. I'd skip 32 Long Colt, while it can be done it is hardly worth the hassle.

bobthenailer
06-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I seem to remember one of the gun mags having a piece on making reloadable brass for obslite 44 & 32 rimfires with a off set primer pocket , or some modfication to the case ? it was Handloader # 274 October 2011 pages 68 to 75 .

pietro
06-27-2012, 11:04 AM
I agree with your gunsmith - the .32-20 is too strenuous for a Stevens 44.

Dixie Gun Works has .32 RF cases primed/fired by .22 Short Blanks

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/images/thumbs/KA1202.JPG

Machined from brass rod stock and designed to use a .22 rimfire short in a special chamber inside the cartridge. The firing pin hits the .22’s rimfire and ignites the black powder loaded in the main cartridge. Fill this case as full as possible with black powder leaving room for a round ball. Load these cases one at a time in repeating arms; the .22’s primer will not always be at the firing pin’s point of impact