PDA

View Full Version : Honest guys, it followed me home...

klausg
04-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Well maybe not, but it is sorta cute. I just picked up a Walther PPK/S; it's one of the newer ones by S&W and damn near unfired. Now I need a .380 like I need a hole in my head, but NEED had very little to do with it. So my question(s) become:

1) From looking down the tube,the rifling looks rather shallow; so I'm thinking I may need to score some lino IOT shoot cast in this thing. Has anyone out there messed around with boolits in one of these? Am I better off making it a j-word shooter?

2) If I am able to shoot boolits, have you got any recommendations as to what mould/alloy/load? I'm fairly flush in Unique, Bullseye, & 2400 and may even have some Red Dot floating around still.

Thanks in advance for any help, take care.

-Klaus

Char-Gar
04-26-2007, 12:45 PM
I always keep a Walther PP or PPK or two around the house. They are fantistic shooters and perform way beyond other pistols of their size and weight. I attribute this to the fixed barrel.

I have not handloaded for the 380 since the mid-60s. But, I would stick with faster powders (BE or 231 and keep the bullet weight about nominal.

I would doubt if you will need linotype. I should think ACWW will do the trick.

Somewhere in my files, I have very old article on loading the 380 authored by Kent Bellah. If you would like a copy, PM me and I will dig it out and either scan and sent you a copy via email or snail mail a hard copy to you, whatever you choose.

9.3X62AL
04-26-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm out of the 380 ACP business at present, but have loaded cast boolits in Walther, SIG-Sauer, and Beretta 380's with good success. ACWW or Taracorp alloy worked fine. SLUG THE THROAT AND GROOVES--most are wider than nominal .355", a Beretta 84F I once had ran almost .358". You may find yourself having to "Beagle" a 380 mold to get castings up to proper size for the barrel.

A Walther PP I have in 32 ACP is a tackdriver.

woody1
04-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Bullseye and Lyman's 358242 either light or heavy should do a fine job. They do for us. Regards, Woody

dragonrider
04-26-2007, 03:01 PM
I once had a PPK/S in 380, a freind talked me into selling it to him, been kickin my ass for twenty years now. I did shoot boolits out of it and although the memory is a bit foggy I seem to remember it shot quite well.

Bret4207
04-30-2007, 07:34 AM
I have an Astra Constable, a PPk copy. Darn thing shoots way better than it should. Minute of housecat out to at least 60-75 yards and thats with ME shooting and I'm half blind. Find something in the 80-120 gr range and give it a try. Lee dies are inexpensive. I keep wishing for a flat nosed boolit mould around 85 gr for my 380. Never seem to find what I want. Have fun. Lotsa jacketed out there if boolits don't work out.

Swagerman
04-30-2007, 08:44 AM
You PPK guys need one of these...Bianchi No. 5 PPK holster, its the black one.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P7250002cropped595X-1.jpg

versifier
04-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Unique and ACWW work fine. You really do need to be aware when shooting the little buggers, though. They bite. It's really easy to let your right hand ride up just a little too high, then the slide cuts two neat parellel grooves in your thumb's large knuckle. When you learn to look for it, it's easy to tell who has owned and shot one regularly. I don't know of a single owner without the bite marks. :wink: