PDA

View Full Version : Real good gun cleaner

44man
06-26-2012, 03:36 PM
I was scrounging in a drawer and found a large bottle of Butch's Bore Shine that I used when I shot rifles. I forgot about it. :oops:
I cleaned my filthy .44 and a damp patch wipes carbon and crud right off with no rubbing or brush. I had a thick buildup in corners and it wiped right off. I never used any cleaner so easy.
One problem, my trash can is full of patches and I need to empty it, things might catch fire. It stinks!
Might be best to burn the patches.

bruce drake
06-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Butches is a good cleaner. And you are right. Clean that waste can out!

**oneshot**
06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
I use gun slicks foaming bore cleaner, a little brushing and wipe clean. I tried using shootes choice and Butch's cleaner but the fumes were horrible.

BABore
06-26-2012, 07:51 PM
I was scrounging in a drawer and found a large bottle of Butch's Bore Shine that I used when I shot rifles. I forgot about it. :oops:
I cleaned my filthy .44 and a damp patch wipes carbon and crud right off with no rubbing or brush. I had a thick buildup in corners and it wiped right off. I never used any cleaner so easy.
One problem, my trash can is full of patches and I need to empty it, things might catch fire. It stinks!
Might be best to burn the patches.

44Man,

I know you to be a cheap SOB.:-P Sooooo, when you run out of Butch's go down to your nearest chevy garage and ask for a pint of GM top engine cleaner. Same as BBS at only $8-$10 a pint. Take a good whiff and tell me it ain't so.

btroj
06-26-2012, 10:47 PM
GM top engine cleaner works quite well. It is also much cheaper than any gun solvent.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-27-2012, 01:28 AM
for 8-10 dollars you can make up a hole bunch of ed's red , especially if you leave the lanolin and acetone out .

acetone is in there to break down plastic fouling , if you only shoot cast boolits or bullets and no sabots or shot , there isn't any plastic

and the lanolin is just there for your hands

Multigunner
06-27-2012, 02:37 AM
for 8-10 dollars you can make up a hole bunch of ed's red , especially if you leave the lanolin and acetone out .

acetone is in there to break down plastic fouling , if you only shoot cast boolits or bullets and no sabots or shot , there isn't any plastic

and the lanolin is just there for your hands

I've heard some of the more recent double base powder formulas contain polyester micro fibers. Not sure why but I think this acts as a coolant by absorbing heat as the fiber vitrifies.

btroj
06-27-2012, 06:53 AM
I think I may be the only guy on earth who just didn't like Eds Red. I don't like the smell or the oily feel of it.
It worked well enough, I just didn't care for it. I personally prefer the Top Engine cleaner.

44man
06-27-2012, 07:51 AM
44Man,

I know you to be a cheap SOB.:-P Sooooo, when you run out of Butch's go down to your nearest chevy garage and ask for a pint of GM top engine cleaner. Same as BBS at only $8-$10 a pint. Take a good whiff and tell me it ain't so.
Gee, haven't heard from you for a while. I hope you are all settled.
Good idea, have to try it.
I have Ed's red and it does not do as good as I hoped. It still needs a brush. Hoppe's needs a brush. For proof, I splattered my keyboard and have some funny keys! [smilie=l:
By the way, Butch's triple twill patches are great for scrubbing a bore. They have ridges.

MGySgt
06-28-2012, 11:20 AM
I have my flack jacket on.

For my cast boolit guns I just use WD40. Cuts the powder/lube build up real quick, not to bad in the smell area.

I buy it by the gallon and use a small baby food jar of it on my bench.

44man
06-28-2012, 02:10 PM
I have my flack jacket on.

For my cast boolit guns I just use WD40. Cuts the powder/lube build up real quick, not to bad in the smell area.

I buy it by the gallon and use a small baby food jar of it on my bench.
OUCH! :holysheep