PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience w/Redding 10x or Harrell Measures

cuzinbruce
04-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi,
I am considering purchase of a Redding 10X or a Harrell Schuetzen powder measure and was wondering if anyone had any experience with either one? Both are for small charges for pistol, etc, up to 25 grains. Reason is that I have been getting an occasional light load with my pistol reloads. I have been using say 4.8 grains of Herco and it will ocasionally bridge in the measure and a part of the charge doesn't dump into the case. If I don't catch it when I check the filled cases, I get a squibb load when fired. The measures I have had this happen with were an RCBS Uniflow (regular drum) and an RCBS Lil Dandy. Powders it happened with were Herco and maybe Blue Dot. Also I noticed that Redding has a handgun chamber for 0 to 10 grains, would that be a better choice? Or is this just too small a charge of Herco to meter reliably. The Herco has been pretty accurate in 32/20 revolver, also in 44 magnum, in greater amounts. Both measures are pretty expensive so I figured I would ask before I spend.
Thanks,
Bruce

felix
04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Bruce, I use the Uniflow all the time with the pistol drum only. Never have installed the rifle drum since the measure was bought (1972). Nothing wrong in throwing twice for the magnum rifle cases. More accurate thataway anyway because of the "average" application. ... felix

GSM
04-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Bruce:

I use the Redding with the pistol cylinder. Lowest charge to date has been 2.6gr of Bullseye.

Positives: The Redding will deliver the low charges reliably, once everything is settled in (powder column and operator throwing the lever).

Negatives: The tolerances are very tight between the drum and the casing - a little bit of powder smear build up will make the the powder throw drag through. Must keep the cylinder face very clean. The machining on the cast housing was a little rough, some rouge and elbow grease slicked the contact surfaces nicely though.

utk
04-26-2007, 04:12 PM
I have the Redding 10X but don´t use it much after buying the Lee Classic Cast Turret with it´s accompanying (sp?) Lee powder measure.

Yes, my Redding is very tight too. The drum sometimes binds with the fine-grained Vihtavuori powders I´ve been using.

When I got the measure the drum was binding at certain positions of the handle, almost as if the drum and housing were slightly oval. So I disassembled it and applied some valve grinding compound to the mating surfaces, reassembled and cranked the handle some 10-20 turns and "the action" smoothed up real good.
But I´m not too impressed with the quality of Redding. The plastic hopper wobbles slightly, the seat in the hosing isn´t true, the housing must have been loose or something during the lathe-turning of the seat.

If anybody´s interested, I have an excel spreadsheet for creating a setting/weight table... Speeds up the dialing in of a certain micro setting for a desired weight.....

Urban

Dale53
04-26-2007, 05:36 PM
I had bridging with 4759 in my older Redding powder measure. It was suggested to me to "oval" the hole in the plastic drop tube (short clear plastic spout). I did this and it completely stopped it.

You might try that with your existing powder measure. The drop tube is inexpensive and unless you go after it with a "buzz saw" you are not likely to ruin it. I used a rat tail file for proper control of the finished product.

Dale53

powderburnerr
04-26-2007, 09:56 PM
cuzinbruce ,
I have a harrel but it is the bigger one . I use it to load my big BP ctgs and it is very consistant even with 1F and 110 to 115 gns ,, that pretty much maxes it out . as with all things consistancy of stroke makes consistant charges.........Dean

cuzinbruce
04-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Hi Gents,
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
Utk; Interesting about the 10-X, I have mixed opinions about Redding quality myself. The dies have been beautifully machined, but a 35 Remington set wouldn't seat a normal bullet for that cartridge (a Lyman 358215 205 gr RNGC) to proper length. I called and the rep said his wouldn't either and sent me a longer seating stem!
A Redding 1400 case trimmer I bought new was a kludge. Badly designed and hard to adjust. The adjustment is dependent on a small set screw bearing on a threaded shank, finally wouldn't hold at all so they sent me a new part. And the shoulder that stops the cutting when it reaches proper length is bearing on crinkle finish green paint.
But their profile crimp dies put a beautiful crimp on my pistol cartridges.
Dale53; I am going to give the "ovaling" thing a try and see if it helps in my case.
Thanks
Bruce

utk
04-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Bruce, I first bought the Redding Rifle measure with an extra pistol metering unit but the latter would seat slightly below the outer curvature of the cylinder creating a "small ledge". So I sent it back and bought the 10X instead.
A friend of mine bought the T7 turret press with one extra turret. But the bushing in the extra turret is a tad too short, when he tightens the lock nut, the turret sticks.
Their Competition Handgun Seating die with a micrometer is a joke IMHO, if you hold the bullet slightly crooked against the casemouth the spring-loaded seating punch will make sure the bullet stays crooked during seating.
Hornady´s sliding alignment sleeve will align the bullet much better prior to seating. So after trying the Redding I went back to Hornady. I use them for all calibers.

And, I´m also very satisfied with Redding´s profile crimp die...

3sixbits
04-27-2007, 02:39 PM
I have both measures. The Harrel is by far the best measure I've ever seen or used. Just like all the rest you still have to use it the same every time. I love my Harrel measure and have talked several of my friends into them. No one has anything but good to say about them.