PDA

View Full Version : Newby to casting?'s

smokinthelast1
06-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Looking to start casting and have a budject of 700.00 looking to start with 9mm and 45's. (Can drop 45's to save the budject) Where would you start if your had to start over? (For equiment)

largom
06-26-2012, 11:34 AM
I would start with the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook! You need to get a basic knowledge of casting before you buy equipment. Then decide if you want to ladle pour or use a bottom pour pot.

Larry

smokinthelast1
06-26-2012, 12:04 PM
I would start with the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook! You need to get a basic knowledge of casting before you buy equipment. Then decide if you want to ladle pour or use a bottom pour pot.

Larry

Really dont think a book will help with that question. I have a grasp on what I want and the list has been made. I want a bottom poor it looks to be quicker and less mess for my unsteady hands. Heres where I am at with it so far and willing to make educated changes?

Clearance
Lyman 4-Cavity Bullet Mold #356637 9mm (356 Diameter) 147 Grain Flat Nose Bevel Base

Product #: 743639

Lyman 4-Cavity Bullet Mold #452374 45 Caliber (452 Diameter) 225 Grain Round Nose

Product #: 204749

Saeco 4-Cavity Ingot Mold without Handle

Product #: 707564

Sale
Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer Bullet Sizer and Lubricator with Heater 110 Volt

Product #: 655459

Lee Pro 4 20 Lb Furnace 110 Volt

Product #: 645810

Lee Commercial Bullet Mold Handles for 6-Cavity Lee Bullet Molds

Product #: 117892

Rebate RCBS Lube-A-Matic Top Punch #402

Product #: 734930

Lyman Top Punch #374

Lyman Lube and Sizer Die 452 Diameter

lyman Orange Magic Hollow Bullet Lube

Product #: 521810

gwpercle
06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
You may want to slow down and take a little advice from people who have paid thier dues in this hobby. Largom is trying to pass on his experience. Let me illustrate a mistake I made. I started out with a little pot, lyman casting dipper and 1 and 2 cavity moulds, used this for a few years with good results. In trying to make better boolits faster I bought bottom pour furnace and 4 cavity mould . Didn't work out , I don't know why but most boolits cast with bottom pour were flawed in one way or another. I discovered I do my best work with 2 double cavity moulds, alternating filling and opening and using the little spout on the dipper pressed tight to the hole in sprue plate.
So before you go buying all your equiptment, try out some different techniques and methods to find what works best for you. I didn't spend a lot on the pot and mould and glad I didn't...the bottom pour didn't work for me.

gary

mktacop
06-26-2012, 02:06 PM
I'll tell you how I got started and where I am now...

I read everything I could get my hands on about casting first, then decided to give it a try.

I bought a 2-cavity lee mold (200gr SWC for .45), a cast iron pot, and a ladle. Poured my first couple hundred bullets this way.

Then I bought a Lee Pro 4-20 pot, and a couple of Lee 6-cavity molds. Cast iron pot now used just for melting/cleaning lead before pouring into ingots. Sold the Lee 2-cavity mold. Bought a Lee push-through sizer for sizing and just pan-lubed the bullets.

Eventually replaced 6-cavity Lee molds with 4, 5, or 6 cavity molds from NOE, MP, Accurate, and H&G (also have 1 Saeco), added PID temp controller to the Lee pot, bought a used Star lubricator sizer. Sold off all the stuff that had been replaced.

Right now, I cast 2 bullets for .380, 3 bullets for .38/.357, 4 bullets for 9mm, 1 bullet for .40/10mm, 5 bullets for .45ACP, and 1 for 45-70 rifles. I'm also looking into buying a Master Caster.

I guess my point would be, start small and see if you even like casting. If you do, move up in stages, if you don't then you haven't invested much money. If you do decide to move up, you can resell the "starter" stuff and get at least part of your money back to use towards upgrading. I wouldn't advise going "all in" without at least knowing if it is something you are going to enjoy or not. Just my .02

smokinthelast1
06-26-2012, 02:07 PM
You may want to slow down and take a little advice from people who have paid thier dues in this hobby. Largom is trying to pass on his experience. Let me illustrate a mistake I made. I started out with a little pot, lyman casting dipper and 1 and 2 cavity moulds, used this for a few years with good results. In trying to make better boolits faster I bought bottom pour furnace and 4 cavity mould . Didn't work out , I don't know why but most boolits cast with bottom pour were flawed in one way or another. I discovered I do my best work with 2 double cavity moulds, alternating filling and opening and using the little spout on the dipper pressed tight to the hole in sprue plate.
So before you go buying all your equiptment, try out some different techniques and methods to find what works best for you. I didn't spend a lot on the pot and mould and glad I didn't...the bottom pour didn't work for me.

gary

Yea I done exlactly what he said the book is orderd. I have 3-4 weeks before I am jumping in head first. Like to get every opion I can. This will be just as expensive to get up and running as the re-loading press. I already second guess the bottom pour. I am thinking about speed to much. (Even if it doesnt seem like I get something given 10 min's I will rethink things) Iam just one, that sets a budject (I may go over) But I want everthing to be there. Need it to last for quite some time as-well without upgrading. The techniques part does take experance. I kinda get that to some degree I worked in a foundry over the years but I was a Machinist. (foundry Closed the doors in 2008)

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-26-2012, 02:08 PM
I think I'd do the exact same thing if I had it to do over.

get the best/biggest Lee pot (Pro 4-20).
a few Lee molds.
a few Lee sizing kits.
Get some JPW and mix up some 45-45-10
scrouge all the Lead alloy you can find.
and practice melting lead.
then read on this website,
then practice some more,
then practice some more,
then practice some more,
then practice some more,

get the idea ?

OK, if I could do it over, I would get a copy of the Lyman castbullet handbook sooner than I did...I waited a year after casting my first boolit. I should have had that in my hands first !

OH, and start with 45 ACP...it's a very forgiving caliber to cast for.
and put off casting small boolits like for 22 hornet as long as possible...they are a bugger.
Jon

Balduran
06-26-2012, 02:14 PM
If it is possible i would see if there is somone close to you that you could try out a few different molds and pots and find out what makes you happy.
it seems like we all develop a different system and tempo to suit us, if you can find out that before you buy that would help.
If that isnt possible jump in and and see how it goes, you prob wont have any big regrets and you can change things up over time.
I have had alot of luck starting out with RCBS products and over time refined and expanded to custom molds.
Glen Frixel's book is pretty damn good no matter what your experiance is.
Jody

smokinthelast1
06-26-2012, 02:18 PM
If it is possible i would see if there is somone close to you that you could try out a few different molds and pots and find out what makes you happy.
it seems like we all develop a different system and tempo to suit us, if you can find out that before you buy that would help.
If that isnt possible jump in and and see how it goes, you prob wont have any big regrets and you can change things up over time.
I have had alot of luck starting out with RCBS products and over time refined and expanded to custom molds.
Glen Frixel's book is pretty damn good no matter what your experiance is.
Jody

These not Iam big into shooting and know most all the shooter around me because they come to my range to shoot. What I do have going for me is one of the guys I worked with is also work in the foundry as a castor. Hope it helps

smokinthelast1
06-26-2012, 02:21 PM
I'll tell you how I got started and where I am now...

I read everything I could get my hands on about casting first, then decided to give it a try.

I bought a 2-cavity lee mold (200gr SWC for .45), a cast iron pot, and a ladle. Poured my first couple hundred bullets this way.

Then I bought a Lee Pro 4-20 pot, and a couple of Lee 6-cavity molds. Cast iron pot now used just for melting/cleaning lead before pouring into ingots. Sold the Lee 2-cavity mold. Bought a Lee push-through sizer for sizing and just pan-lubed the bullets.

Eventually replaced 6-cavity Lee molds with 4, 5, or 6 cavity molds from NOE, MP, Accurate, and H&G (also have 1 Saeco), added PID temp controller to the Lee pot, bought a used Star lubricator sizer. Sold off all the stuff that had been replaced.

Right now, I cast 2 bullets for .380, 3 bullets for .38/.357, 4 bullets for 9mm, 1 bullet for .40/10mm, 5 bullets for .45ACP, and 1 for 45-70 rifles. I'm also looking into buying a Master Caster.

I guess my point would be, start small and see if you even like casting. If you do, move up in stages, if you don't then you haven't invested much money. If you do decide to move up, you can resell the "starter" stuff and get at least part of your money back to use towards upgrading. I wouldn't advise going "all in" without at least knowing if it is something you are going to enjoy or not. Just my .02

My thought would be to start where I will end up anyways. This ijmho
is the cheapest route. Heck if I turn out to hate it that bad it will be easier to sale or trade the better equiment. ( I know most dont think this way but I have learn this the hardway)

Balduran
06-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Heh, if you like it as much as some of us you would have to be Donald Trump to start off where you want to be.
Jody

smokinthelast1
06-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Heh, if you like it as much as some of us you would have to be Donald Trump to start off where you want to be.
Jody

Just looking for a solid 700.00 start. guess that cant be done? (Iam dont trying to be a smart @ss here either)

Balduran
06-26-2012, 02:31 PM
700 will get you started.
I was just making light of the fact that many of us have several thousands invested and still find somthing we "need"

smokinthelast1
06-26-2012, 02:35 PM
700 will get you started.
I was just making light of the fact that many of us have several thousands invested and still find somthing we "need"

Oh I know that is a Big Fact I never stop looking for more. Just wanting a solid foundation and not want to upgrade that part in a short time spand. I have 10,000+ invested on everything else. More I load the more I can shoot kinda thing!

Cowboy T
06-26-2012, 03:40 PM
For $700, you can get a whole lot of setup! But you don't need to even approach that figure. Here's my list.

Lee Pro 4-20 downpour spout melting pot: $70
Lee 6-cavity mould + handles: $55 each
Propane turkey fryer burner: $40
Tank o' propane: $45 initially, $20 per refill
Old metal paint can to hold the sprue: $FREE
Another old metal paint can to hold dross: $FREE

Protective gear, in case of the Tinsel Fairy
-----------------------------------
Full face shield: $20
Welding gloves: $20
Old leather jacket: hopefully free, but at worst: $30

Let's say you're shooting one caliber (0.358" if you have a .357 Magnum). Your total expenditure is as follows:

+30
-------
$280, assuming one mould. Add $55 per additional caliber.

Why the Lee 6-cavity moulds? Heh...watch my casting videos, and you'll see why. :-)

shadowcaster
06-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Casting is addicting and you will continue to add equipment as you go along according to your needs. I also have a tendency to build/customize my equipment, like my burner and bottom pour smelting pot. You have a pretty good list going there. I did the same thing and don't have any regrets. Don't discount the bottom pour pot, You can always ladle from it.. you have both options this way. I have had really good success with my Lee pro 4 20# bottom pour pot.

Shad

smokinthelast1
06-26-2012, 04:15 PM
For $700, you can get a whole lot of setup! But you don't need to even approach that figure. Here's my list.

Lee Pro 4-20 downpour spout melting pot: $70
Lee 6-cavity mould + handles: $55 each
Propane turkey fryer burner: $40
Tank o' propane: $45 initially, $20 per refill
Old metal paint can to hold the sprue: $FREE
Another old metal paint can to hold dross: $FREE

Protective gear, in case of the Tinsel Fairy
-----------------------------------
Full face shield: $20
Welding gloves: $20
Old leather jacket: hopefully free, but at worst: $30

Let's say you're shooting one caliber (0.358" if you have a .357 Magnum). Your total expenditure is as follows:

+30
-------
$280, assuming one mould. Add $55 per additional caliber.

Why the Lee 6-cavity moulds? Heh...watch my casting videos, and you'll see why. :-)

Awesome info downloading now will watch and get back to you!

smokinthelast1
06-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Casting is addicting and you will continue to add equipment as you go along according to your needs. I also have a tendency to build/customize my equipment, like my burner and bottom pour smelting pot. You have a pretty good list going there. I did the same thing and don't have any regrets. Don't discount the bottom pour pot, You can always ladle from it.. you have both options this way. I have had really good success with my Lee pro 4 20# bottom pour pot.

Shad

Thanks Shad! I am addicted to the rest so no dought this will be the same.

smokinthelast1
06-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Ok one more question been reading alot. This very well could be alot more than I want to do time wise. To get a better Idea does anyone know of a good supplier???????

http://grandmasterbullets.com/hard_cast.html This is the suppler I been looking at.

Echo
06-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Ok one more question been reading alot. This very well could be alot more than I want to do time wise. To get a better Idea does anyone know of a good supplier???????

http://grandmasterbullets.com/hard_cast.html This is the suppler I been looking at.

I find that I do most of my new-stuff buying from Midsouth - others will go elsewhere, and they are right, too...
But actually most of my buying is on eBay.

canyon-ghost
06-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Carolina Cast Bullets, Jerry is a member here and a heck of a good guy!

http://carolinacastbullets.com/

I tried some Lee RN for 44-40 in my 44 Special and it worked out.

<<<< That 44 Special, lol.

How about white label lubes? I use Carnuba Red in everything (it smells better than Orange Magic).
http://www.lsstuff.com/

canyon-ghost
06-30-2012, 11:46 AM
This very well could be alot more than I want to do time wise.

I usually spend one morning on weekends casting, let 'em cool off and put in a 2lb coffee can. It gives me around 500 rounds with a ladle and two-cav. I weigh mine, get the weight range where they are pretty close and then lube. It takes the longest to weigh them. Then I end up with a half bucket of bullets to load (in a week). Yes, I do it for more than one caliber too.

Casting = 3 hours
Weighing = 4-6 hours
Lube = 2 hours

Timewise, it takes it. Money wise? I can hand you 100 rounds in an ammo box anytime that cost me about $15-20 to make.

It all depends on how busy you are, I still work fulltime.

Good Luck,
Ron

smokinthelast1
06-30-2012, 12:00 PM
I usually spend one morning on weekends casting, let 'em cool off and put in a 2lb coffee can. It gives me around 500 rounds with a ladle and two-cav. I weigh mine, get the weight range where they are pretty close and then lube. It takes the longest to weigh them. Then I end up with a half bucket of bullets to load (in a week). Yes, I do it for more than one caliber too.

Casting = 3 hours
Weighing = 4-6 hours
Lube = 2 hours

Timewise, it takes it. Money wise? I can hand you 100 rounds in an ammo box anytime that cost me about $15-20 to make.

It all depends on how busy you are, I still work fulltime.

Good Luck,
Ron

Yea I am trying to way my time here and the learning curve as well. Probally got 30+ hrs just trying toget a good genral idea and would be willing to bet my first couple trys are going to be unfit to use. (Re-melting should be a problem though) lol Oh and I do a min of 65 hrs a week

pastor
06-30-2012, 12:38 PM
agree with Cowboy-T, i have a lee 20# pot and Lee 6cavity molds 45acp and 38spc, and Lee push thru sizers, tumble lubing right now, i watched his videos and bought lee equipment and have been very happy

i think with everything i bought including the pots and pans i got at the 2nd hand store i have around $350.00 - $375.00 total, have probably cast around 8000 boolets and really enjoying it

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-30-2012, 12:59 PM

It is alot of work and takes time,
it's kind of like 4 or 5 hobbies all connected to your shooting hobby.
Just like shooting, it will take time and practice to get real good at it,
plus a bunch of reading, this website is a awesome Help.

I bought a lot of commercial cast bullets and some home cast boolits
before I started melting Lead alloys and casting my own.
that helped my alot...meaning, there is also a learning curve
to loading home cast boolits since they are softer then
commercial cast bullets or J-words, you might need some new
or different dies or additional dies.

I see it as Art (or Art science) and is real rewarding once you
break through the intial learning curve. But if you don't enjoy
it, you'll soon regret spending so much time on NOT SHOOTING.

There are some suppliers in the vendor section.
Jon

smokinthelast1
06-30-2012, 02:35 PM
It is alot of work and takes time,
it's kind of like 4 or 5 hobbies all connected to your shooting hobby.
Just like shooting, it will take time and practice to get real good at it,
plus a bunch of reading, this website is a awesome Help.

I bought a lot of commercial cast bullets and some home cast boolits
before I started melting Lead alloys and casting my own.
that helped my alot...meaning, there is also a learning curve
to loading home cast boolits since they are softer then
commercial cast bullets or J-words, you might need some new
or different dies or additional dies.

I see it as Art (or Art science) and is real rewarding once you
break through the intial learning curve. But if you don't enjoy
it, you'll soon regret spending so much time on NOT SHOOTING.

There are some suppliers in the vendor section.
Jon

Thats the concluse I am at. I have a bunch of lead, so I will make ingots out of all that. Got better than a 150lbs so one baby step at a time. I will be buying 3-5k rds to get the press up and running. Shad showed me is ingot set-up so that is something I think I can pull off. (No way near as nice but I think I can do ingot bars)

popper
07-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I'd start with the 45 and leave the 9 for later. Lee 20# pot, Lee 2x mould, Lee sizer w/ alox, SS slotted spoon (WWorld), 1" putty knife, HF plastic safety glasses, some kind of kitchen scale. Long sleeve COTTON shirt, jeans, old jogging shoes, leather gloves, a cap. Saw dust for fluxing. Get the basics to work and then decide what else you need (or want).