PDA

View Full Version : Dillon powder assembly

Lizard333
06-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Ok, I have been using Dillon's equipment since 2000. This I have never seen before. I bought a 550 press with several conversions and dies for 250. This came with it. I'm guessing it's pre 1998, but I have no clue how it works. The press came with the bar to attach the powder to the press, only there is no place to attach the bar on this powder assembly. Any help at would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Mike Kerr
06-26-2012, 08:56 AM
That set up usually had double springs which were the only method of returning the bar during operation. It's pretty old. Some old guys like the spring set up - cause its quick- and quiet- BUT I like the new system better. Dillon sells a very reasonably priced set up to convert to the new actuator system including the return bracket which goes under the base of the shell plate assembly, the actuator levers and a fail safe rod for about $25 bucks.

I am assuming the "bar" you reference is the fail safe rod. So you will have an extra; but at the price you got you are doing great.

regards,

:-):-):-)

Lizard333
06-26-2012, 09:14 AM
So it's custom. Nice. Good to know. Thanks for the info.

jmorris
06-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Thats what they looked like back in the 80's. They felt smoother than they do now. At some point they added another spring (the fix back then was rubber bands) then later all of the fail safe linkage and rods. When I sent back my old presses over the years, for refurb, Dillon put on all of the current parts on them before shipping them back to me. Guess I should add, rebuild, parts and shipping back to me was free.

Alvarez Kelly
06-26-2012, 10:35 AM
It is case activated, spring closed, with no other mechanism. These measures have been added to a lot of non Dillon presses too. Think C&H, Hollywood, etc. The "upgrade" from Dillon usually consists of a new collar (the bottom part with the 2 bolts) and a new actuator arm assembly. Some of the very early powder measures can not be upgraded because the casting is slightly different. In those cases, a call to Dillon will usually get you a new powder measure when you send in your old one.

As noted, many PREFER the style you have now. Personally, I like the current model. To each his own.

Enjoy your new press!

dillonhelp
06-27-2012, 06:25 PM
This is a pre-1992 powder measure, before the failsafe return was added. It is missing the roller for the round post on the connector body collar, please email me your address and I will mail one to you- gary.kieft@dillonprecision.com

Alvarez Kelly
06-27-2012, 08:31 PM
missing the roller...

Great catch Gary!

Oldslabsides
06-28-2012, 08:42 PM
This is a pre-1992 powder measure, before the failsafe return was added. It is missing the roller for the round post on the connector body collar, please email me your address and I will mail one to you- gary.kieft@dillonprecision.com

Now how is that for Dillon's outstanding service folks? This guy doesn't sit around waiting for calls, he's out looking to service the equipment! Another #1 for Dillon.

Slim

No_1
06-28-2012, 09:01 PM
How cool is that? Gives a new meaning to the "no BS" warranty.

Now how is that for Dillon's outstanding service folks? This guy doesn't sit around waiting for calls, he's out looking to service the equipment! Another #1 for Dillon.

Slim

hiram1
06-28-2012, 09:59 PM
your a good man and you work for a real good co. gary.kieft@dillonprecision.com dillon is the best

Lizard333
06-28-2012, 10:52 PM
I admit, I never saw that coming. This was great!

r1kk1
06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Now that's service!

I wonder if the other companies would do this?

Just makes me want to do more business with Dillon and I will!

Thank you Dillon,

r1kk1

Nanook
07-01-2012, 05:34 PM
More proof that Dillon has the best customer service. I've had great luck with their presses, and when I did something wrong and broke a piece, they sent me a new one for free.

RCBS and Redding also have great service from my experience.

Enjoy your new old press!

mister gizmo
07-02-2012, 01:51 PM
I've got a few reloaders including 550s (with updates), a Star and a RL450.

Still use the powder mechanism I got on the RL450 when I bought it direct from Mike hisself in 1981. I use it now when loading low volumes of reloads needing accuracy, not speed. Something I like about the manual throw and those springs.

The only thing I found when rehabilitating my 450 to make it more 550-like was that the powder bars are not interchangeable between the two.

(Also use the RCBS powder funnel with the Dillon adapter for heavier powder drops.)

m. gizmo