PDA

View Full Version : Texan 3 station Press - Video

Ben
06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
I finally got my Texan , 3 station reloading press cleaned up and painted.
I'm well pleased with it. It is set up for 38 Spec. right now. Throwing 5.0 grs.
of Unique with a 154 gr. Cramer , Keith style bullet sized .358". I'll be shooting
these loads out of my Marlin 1894 CBC, 38 Spec. and my new S & W Model 686, 6"
357 Mag. revolver.

Considering my $40 expenditure for this particular press , I think
" I'm High and Dry ." on this deal.

See the video below :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJrsh5MXLU&feature=youtu.be

Mike Kerr
06-25-2012, 03:03 PM
That looks great, what did you have to do in refurbishing it?

Works good also. Thanks for the video.

regards,

:smile::smile::smile:

Ben
06-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Here is the story behind the " refurb " Mike :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=157490

bruce drake
06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Craigslist in Kansas City has one in about the same condition as the one you bought and they are asking $150 for it so you got a great deal and it looks great.

Bruce

UNIQUEDOT
06-25-2012, 03:21 PM
I like it, it looks very ergonomic friendly.

seagiant
06-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Hi,
Well,you know how to hurt a guy! That puppy looks SMOOTHHHHH!

Ben
06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Yes Bruce, I was thinking between $100 - $125 myself. Seems
that I got a real good deal on this one.

Thanks to all, I'm really enjoying this one.

Like taking a trip back in time.

Ben

seagiant
06-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Ben,
I sold a Bair 3 station on E-bay for $165+shipping. I had bought it for $35 at my local Gun Shop. The owner called it a "boat anchor"! When I left I told him to call me when ever an anchor showed up!!! Oh yea,I used it for about 5 yrs. and then got my Met II's!

Ben
06-25-2012, 05:22 PM
seagiant

These old presses were built to last.

Some of today's reloading equip. may have more " high tech " gadgets on them but they are not built any stronger than these old machines.

Mine is as smooth or smoother than the day it left the factory. No slop, no side play, etc.

I'm happy with mine !

Ben

Rockchucker
06-25-2012, 09:42 PM
I envy you, I'd love to own that old press. If you ever decide to up grade something on your bench and looking for some extra, oh never mind, wasting my breath.

Mike Kerr
06-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Ben,

Thanks for the link to the restoration thread. Very cool. Makes me want to spend money but Gads those auctions are pricey.:sad::sad:

regards,

:smile::smile::smile:

seagiant
06-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Mike,
Ben's buy experience is the best scenerio! He got a great deal on a press only needing a refurb to get it in a like new condition. Rebuild and refurb are two different things! My last great deal was a while ago and here lately the best I have done is a "fair" price buy, which there is nothing wrong with that. Again condition is everything and for some, the work to get a machine back to square one is highly gratifying!

Here is a Lachmiller Shotshell Loader I rebuilt/refurbed as I had to make a couple of parts to get it to load a correctly made shell. Of course you can tell this machine is not for anyone in a hurry but is fun to use and has a lot of history behind it! Just an example and this loader was bought from a member here for a fair price!

Wayne Smith
06-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Ben, you are not close to using that press to it's capacity. I have a Bair Cub 3 station that I use, I have a shell in each shell holder on each pull of the handle. Same as you, but I use a separate powder measure. I'm accomplishing three things with each pull of the handle. Goes faster that way!

Ben
06-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Yes, Wayne...........I'm aware of that. I have a grandson that I'll train on this press, using the same technique that you saw in the video. Slow , deliberate, step by step, looking and checking the powder charge each time. Can't be too safe with a novice.

I have several progressives, if speed is the game I have that ability also.

Ben

W.R.Buchanan
06-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Ben: great find. and yes you have it set up exactly like I have my C&H set up.

Charge in the left station seat in the middle station and crimp in the right station.

I have primarily been loading Rifle cartridges in mine lately, and instead of having a PM on the left station I a have funnel, and use my DPS3 to throw the charges.

I also have C&H powder measure for use on the press if I want to load pistol rounds, or a Dillon.

There is alot of options with a tool like this, and your score for $40 is a far better deal than the prices the C&H presses go for on Ebay. Otherwise there isn't enough difference to matter.

You did do a nice job of refurbishing the tool. Many people just don't realize that it is pretty hard to wear out a reloading tool of any kind. Usually they go to hell from just sitting around. Just taking them apart and maybe some paint and a little time on the wire wheel and they are good as new.

That machine will also load .30-06's just like you're doing those .357's

Randy

Ben
06-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Randy,

I agree with all that you're saying. The real truth be known, rust has done in many more presses than wear and tear from actual use. I suppose it is possible to actually wear out a properly lubricated and maintained , quality tool ( like a RCBS, RockChucker ), but most reloaders won't ever do it.

This TEXAN seems plenty powerful and I'd think that loading an 06' would be a breeze with this one. Can't believe I got this " fish up in the boat" for $40.

Ben

smokinthelast1
06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Slicker than a cat hid-end for 40.00....

Ben
06-26-2012, 09:26 PM
A fine press, so smooth.....................

canyon-ghost
06-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice press, thanks for the good video.

Ben
06-27-2012, 12:39 AM
canyon-ghost,

The movie of me using the press is a LONG WAY from a Hollywood production, but I guess it communicates.

On that subject of communicating,................ I only wish that some of the visuals that we have grown so accustomed to here on this site were available back in the early 60's when I was starting. It would have been a great help to me. Reading is fine ( about all you had in the 50's and 60's ) , but good color photos and or movies communicate so much better , especially with complicated concepts that baffle the young caster / reloader. These young guys really don't realize just how fortunate they are to have access to this site and all the experienced casters who call this forum home.

Many thanks,

Ben

Ernest
06-27-2012, 04:35 PM
I assume the cases are sized and primed on another press?

Ben
06-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Correct, I size and prime a couple of hundred at a time. I like to clean the pockets and be certain the case mouths are deburred.