PDA

View Full Version : got my Rossi 454 today

Dogg
06-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Well I finally found and bought a 454 Rossi or should I say Braztec! Guess they are now made by Taurus.
Anyway, had some minor scratches on the stainless which doesn't bother me, the stock is now walnut instead of mahogony, a bit plain but at least it doesn't have the ugly dark brown finish. Forearm has a bit extra wood at the muzzle end but I
will probably sand the stock and refinish it later.
Only had 45colt loads to shoot so went out back an did a quick 10 rounds at about 23yds using the fork in a tree, first three shoots went abit wide maybe 3.5 inches but the next 7 went into an inch or so.
Problem is it would not eject but about half the casings. Would pull them back and then they just fell into the carrier. Came inside and tried working empties through and again about half eject half just fell in. I have 8 other actual Rossi's and have never had a problem, can't say the same for the taurus manufacturing now. I assume the extractor is not getting a good grip on the case rim or the ejector is balking up some way.

Any suggestions from those of you who are more experienced gunsmiths?

I have never had to pull one of them down so don't really know the ins and outs of disasembly of the action. Would get the video by Kiowa Jones but admit to having a hangup about spending $10 for shipping on something that ships for way less. (guess I'm a tight wad).

The trigger pull is decent, and the action can be cycled easily. Sights suck being the same rough sights that rossi used in the past but I already have some white bead front sights and after market full buckhorn which I will probably install if I get the thing to run well enough to trust.

Guess my only complaint really is the extraction/ejection and the fact that I could only get a 20" barrel instead of the 16" that I wanted

JohnnyFlake
06-25-2012, 11:40 AM
I am happy to hear that your gun arrived, but not happy at all, with the ejection problem you are having. As you know, I also have a new Rossi in .454 which I received about 10 days ago. Unlike you, I cannot test fire mine in the back yard. I need to get out to a range and it's been too dam hot for that.

I certainly hope I do not run into a similar problem, or any other problem, with mine.

I am very interested in what it will take for you to correct that ejection issue.

pietro
06-25-2012, 11:49 AM
The Model 92 leverguns are still made in SA by Rossi.

In December of 1997 BrazTech International L.C. was created in partnership with Taurus USA as the exclusive importer of Rossi firearms in North America.

At the same time, Forjas Taurus, S.A. purchased the rights and the equipment to manufacture Rossi handguns.

Today's Rossi is still run by the same family.

Dogg - It sounds like the extractor needs the tension looked at.

fecmech
06-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Problem is it would not eject but about half the casings.

That is unusual for Rossi 92', you generally can't keep them in the same zip code! On the bottom side of the bolt is the ejector and spring that powers it. The normal course of events is fellows replace it with a lighter one because that is the reason rossi 92's close hard and eject into the next county. Here is a picture of one disassembled. http://marauder.homestead.com/files/RossiDis.html. When you put the bolt back in the gun make sure you do it with an empty casing holding the ejector spring in place till you get the front of the case in the barrel. You can go to an Ace hardware or similar place and find a spring that you can use for the ejector. that's what I did when I replaced the factory spring.

PacMan
06-25-2012, 07:30 PM
What you gona shoot in that baby? Mine loves a LBT 340gr LFN pushed by a genrous helping of LilGun. Out to two hundred yards if you do your part it will do its.Have not shot it much further but i did call grace on a coyote at just over the 200 yard mark.One heck of a shooter.
You will like it.

Dogg
06-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Would like to get some 300 gr lee 45lc pbs to try, need to see if they will cycle, anyone want to donate a handfull?????

Made up a dumby round to work through the action, if I cycle it fast it will drop about 3 inches away from the ejection port, if I cycle it slow still just drops back in the action.

Pietro, how do you change the tension on the extractor? Or do I need to find a new one. May need a stronger ejector sping I think. IT cycles really easy,can do it with little finger so may not be that much tension on the ejector from what I have read.

PacMan
06-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I may be wrong but i doubt that the 300 gr Lee will cycle in the Rossi. Also if you intend to push the 454 to its designed presures and velocity the PB bullet will give you heart burn for sure.Get a good GC bullet.
JMO

Sturmcrow
06-27-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm running the Lee 300gr GC RNFP, and it cycles great at 454 length.

I should mention that my action will not cycle cartridges loaded to 45LC COAL, and unless they come from the factory with pretty sketchy cartridge guides, it looks like someone took a file to mine.

saz
06-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Dogg,
The current style Lee 300 will cycle through like butter with full length 454 brass. The old style Lee 300 (there was a GB here a while back called the HAMMER) with the larger meplat will give you a few fits and you will have to trim the brass back a bit until you find the sweet spot- I did. IMHO the current lee is a great boolit and you cant go wrong with it.

Dogg
07-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Update on problem with ejection: Called Braztec service center and must say I got really good service. Option was to send the gun back to them but would be facing a fairly long turn around or they would send me a new extractor and ejector spring to instal and see if it fixed the problem. Went with send me the parts, and I broke down on my issue with postal charge and ordered the dvd on slicking up the gun.
Will this fix the problem, I sure hope so.
Did a quick refinish of the stock, to me it looks really nice now. Put a better rear sight on it, planned on putting a different front sight but the white dot ones I have were real lose in the dovetail, so put the stock front sight back on it. All in all if it start ejecting casings properly, I really like it. Still think I want to find a 16" eventyually.
Then I need to move back to a State where I can put it back to use.

Dan Cash
07-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Pictures!! No PIX; didn't happen.

JohnnyFlake
07-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Ya! Dogg,

I'd like to see some pictures as well, especially of the stock that your worked on and the new rear site. I need to get off my *** and work on the wood on mine.

Dogg
07-01-2012, 02:09 PM
http://http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp7/RedWolf49/DSC_0075.jpghttp://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp7/RedWolf49/DSC_0066.jpg
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp7/RedWolf49/DSC_0069.jpg

pic attempt.....

JohnnyFlake
07-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Your wood looks very nice. Dam, you even have some birdseye on one side. My stock is just as plain as can be.

What rear site is that and in what way is it better than the stock rear site?

Dogg
07-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Rear sight is just a Marbles full buckhorn, may not be better other than quality, eventually I will probably put a a skinner peep sight on it, I have them on my other rossi's and I can shoot better with a peep with these old eyes.
Also considering one of the Bullseye rear sights (peep),And will see about getting an ivory bead front, for me that is the best combination short of some sort of scope arrangement.

RobS
07-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I had this same problem with a 45 Colt Rossi/Braztec. The ejector spring is too stiff and pushes the ejector hard on bottom of the case and pulls the brass rim from the extractor before the case leaves the chamber. I fixed mine by working on the ejector spring.

I first measured the spring and then I took a bit off of it (cut it and ended up with about a coil and a half out of mine but started with a coil first). Next I heated the spring up with a torch to cherry red to take the hardness out of it and once air cooled I stretched it to the same length as before. After this you'll need to harden and temper the spring.

Reheat the spring to cherry red and dip it into motor oil. After a few minutes take it out and let it cool. Then clean the spring up so you can see the shine of the metal in a few places as you'll need to see the change in metal color to temper it. Temper the spring by putting it back into a flame but only until it changes a slight color of yellow and then take it from the flame and let it air cool.

This is what I did to correct the overly stiff ejector spring but I believe that Kiowa Jones [Steve's Gunz] also has a spring kit if you are not comfortable doing all this with your spring. Steve's spring is something like $9 and worth correcting your problem. The ejector spring can be a big issue if they are too stiff as you have come to find out and I'll put money on it, with the bolt open you can't even or can hardly push the ejector down with your finger or thumb.

Dogg
07-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Will definetly be looking at the ejector spring, but don't think that is the main problem cause the extractor does not snap down over the rim of the cartridge when the bolt is completely closed. But will sure look at this.

RobS
07-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I hear you, I adjusted the extractor with a bit fine tune filing because it wasn't getting a good "grip" on the rim but in the end it was the ejector spring with my Rossi/Braztech 45 Colt. On the other hand my LSI Puma 454 Casull was good right from the get go.

Dogg
07-02-2012, 04:33 PM
I have a .357, 44, and six 45lc (4 unfired) and have not had the slightest problem with any of them other than the stock finish andsights which were easily corrected. Guess sooner or later I was bound to get one that needed some tweeking. Have a 16" big loop 45lc on order, hope it doesn't have problem.

Got my dvd from Steve's Guns today, so soon as I get the parts from Braztec will be tearing the 454 down. Guess I will see If I need to slick any of the others up also since I have the DVD.

Still trying to find some 300gr lee 45s to reload and see if they will run in my gun. Was thinking about maybe getting the 290gr. ranch dog, but to be honest it is so hard to find lead in this State I am hesitant about geting any more molds.

RobS
07-02-2012, 06:00 PM
The DVD would have been nice the first time I tore mine down. The 300 grain Lee GC mold will feed but with mine it needed to be crimped on the short COAL crimp groove.