PDA

View Full Version : Bad .380 Brass?

mktacop
06-25-2012, 07:40 AM
I've just started reloading for .380 and ran into an issue yesterday (I've been reloading .45ACP for a while but just branched out into other calibers). I had 2 rounds that would not fit into the case-check gauge due to a significant bulge all the way around the case right below where the base of the bullet was seated. I checked all the other loads and narrowed it down to one common factor.....the brass. Both of the offending cases had a headstamp marking of *I* (best I can mimic it here) and the bulge came from the powder-drop/flare station on my Dillon 550. None of the cases with different headstamps developed that bulge, so I just went through the remainder of my .380 brass and tossed the cases with the offending headstamp into the scrap bucket. I was wondering if anyone else had seen any similar issues with this same type of brass?

Roundnoser
06-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Yes, I have had the same thing happen when loading 380. I haven't used the *I* cases, but it tends to happen with my Blazer brass. No doubt it has something to do with the wall thickness of the brass. Fortunately, it doesn't happen too often. Same as you, I just pitch them into the scrap bucket. -- I have not experienced the bulge problem in other common brands of brass.

You can load that problem brass without the bulge but it requires that you adjust your mouth expanding die to just barely open the case mouth. Really isn't worth the trouble on a progressive machine.

bobthenailer
06-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Ive used various brand of 380 brass and do get some case bulging but i also use .357 dia cast bullets in my 2, 380 pistols , IME as long as they will chamber ther ok to use. but im useing slightly reduced loads.

mktacop
06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys! I found out that they are CCI brass, and just tossed the 10 or so that I found. I did try to chamber one of these and it wouldn't fit, so I pulled the bullets from the 2 that I already had loaded.

FISH4BUGS
06-25-2012, 04:42 PM
I shoot a ton of 380 in a Mac M11A1 380 submachinegun. I use an H&G S55 mould for the bullets sized to 356 and magma lube.
They have a very generous chamber diameter, and shoots from the open bolt. 9mm's have the same issue when fired from open bolt 9mm submachine guns.
Not to worry. A Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) crimps (basically resizes) the case back to spec. I have it in station 4 in the Dillon 550 and gauge every round.
Once I started with the FCD, all my bulged case issues vanished.

ReloaderFred
06-28-2012, 10:16 AM
The .380 brass made by ATK (FC, Blazer, Independance, etc.) has a step inside the brass to prevent bullet setback. If you look inside, you'll see it.

As long as you load a bullet similar to the original factory bullets that the ATK companies use, that brass loads just fine. If you're using a longer bullet, or shorter Over All Length (OAL), then it will produce a bulge at the junction of the inside ledge.

Hope this helps.

Fred