PDA

View Full Version : RR babbit info

Hackleback
04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
I may have a line on some rail car babbit. This was used before ball bearings were in common use. The blocks were cast and were lubircated in a packing box filled with fiber and a heavy oil. Does anyone know what the content is? High in tin I hope.

Ben
04-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Antifriction alloy of copper, antimony, and tin used as bearing material for axles and crankshafts, occasionally in dentistry for dies and counterdies in swaging dental plates. In present-day usage the term is applied to a whole class of silver-white bearing metals, or “white metals.” These alloys usually consist of relatively hard crystals embedded in a softer matrix, a structure important for machine bearings. They are composed primarily of tin, copper, and antimony, with traces of other metals added in some cases and lead substituted for tin in others.

Hackleback
04-25-2007, 10:52 PM
I think that the materal that I have my sights on is quite old (if that is of any insight). I was thinking that this stuff might be good for mixing with scrap (soft lead) or adding a bit of tin to WW.

Tom W.
04-26-2007, 12:02 AM
It is, and it makes pretty good boolits on it's own, but they're a bit light, and hard as the dickens.

Freightman
04-26-2007, 11:19 AM
I have a stach of materal like that and it makes very hard boolits, they are almost to hard to size. I only use it if I am going to push a boolit a little hard.

Lloyd Smale
04-26-2007, 02:05 PM
I would say that your babbit is probably low speed babbit which is primarily lead. It would probably cast fine just as is but your bullets wont be very hard.

felix
04-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Lloyd, it's the other way around. Lead babbit is low speed stuff allright, but is extremely tough because of the unusual amount of copper included; therefore, it is very hard to keep mixed without tremendous (comparatively speaking) heat all the way down into the mold. Use lead babbit to boost antimony with the added benefit of copper; use tin babbit to boost tin only. Antimony is not a tough material, and the copper is included to compensate. Only antimony will make a boolit grow in size. ... felix

Lloyd Smale
04-26-2007, 09:22 PM
you taught me something tonight felix i allways thought that low speed babbit was mostly pure lead with very little tin or antimony in it.

Ben
04-27-2007, 10:19 PM
http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/babbitt.htm

Lloyd Smale
04-29-2007, 05:48 AM
thanks felix and ben. Like i said im never to old to learn. I have to kick myself in the but for passing on some of the babbit i did pass on now. I remember the scap yard i frequent one had thousands of pds of low speed babbit in igots stacked on pallets that i said no to for 25 cents a lb because i allways thought low speed babbit was just lead and tin. If i would have know the antimony content was there i would have stock piled alot of it..

Hackleback
04-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the info. As usual, one thinks he asks a rather simple question and ends up with a wealth of information.