PDA

View Full Version : Staff Sgt. getting a raw deal.

koehn,jim
06-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Is there anyone in Raleigh North Carlonia familiar with the case of Sgt Joshua Eisenhauer. The paper here reported that he was being treated for a severe case Of PTSD and had a flashback, he fired at police and fireman and has been charged with assault and attempted murder. I would just like to know if the story is true before raising hell with my elected officials. How can we as a country send a person into combat and than not treat them for a case of PTSD that the doctors say he has. There must be something that can be done.

Love Life
06-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Is there anyone in Raleigh North Carlonia familiar with the case of Sgt Joshua Eisenhauer. The paper here reported that he was being treated for a severe case Of PTSD and had a flashback, he fired at police and fireman and has been charged with assault and attempted murder. I would just like to know if the story is true before raising hell with my elected officials. How can we as a country send a person into combat and than not treat them for a case of PTSD that the doctors say he has. There must be something that can be done.

Do you have a link to the story?

koehn,jim
06-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I could not get a link to work, I am computer challenged. If you google his name there are plenty of reports on it, I just wanted to know the whole story.

WILCO
06-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Do you have a link to the story?

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10641251/

WILCO
06-24-2012, 11:38 PM
I just wanted to know the whole story.

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2012/04/14/1171072

plmitch
06-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Interesting story here.

Bad Water Bill
06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
For over 50 years I have wondered how we can spend months and in some cases years training our military to act and react then simply by signing a piece of paper they are supposed to dis regard all of their previous training and be the kid next door again.

41 mag fan
06-25-2012, 06:10 PM
For over 50 years I have wondered how we can spend months and in some cases years training our military to act and react then simply by signing a piece of paper they are supposed to dis regard all of their previous training and be the kid next door again.

It's easy....you elect a "communist" organizer as the president, and he declares military personnel as being homegrown terrorists"

bruce drake
06-25-2012, 06:27 PM
It's easy....you elect a "communist" organizer as the president, and he declares military personnel as being homegrown terrorists"

bingo

1Shirt
06-26-2012, 08:50 AM
I second Bruce Drake!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Recluse
06-26-2012, 10:08 AM
My LE friends in North Carolina tell me that the civilian authorities have literally been BEGGING the Army to take the case--and that they would remand it over to the Army officials with no hassles since nobody on the civilian side was (seriously) hurt, injured or killed.

But the ARMY is being FREAKING SILENT!

Any rage that is out there, it needs to be directed at the Army brass up in that screwed up five-sided abortion known as the Pentagon.

With all due respect and appreciation to Major Drake and other men and women currently serving, I cannot FATHOM why anyone would enlist or swear an oath of office in ANY of the five branches of service right now under this communist SOB of a (so-called) commander-in-chief.

Of course, I served during the Carter administration, so I may not have a lot of room to talk. . .

:coffee:

Mud Eagle
06-26-2012, 10:10 AM
he fired at police and fireman and has been charged with assault and attempted murder. I would just like to know if the story is true before raising hell with my elected officials. How can we as a country send a person into combat and than not treat them for a case of PTSD that the doctors say he has. There must be something that can be done.

Raise hell with elected officials? Why? I don't see that there's a need to "do" anything aside from observing the justice system in action.

Do you see that there is some injustice being done here? I'm at a loss for how he's getting a "raw deal" here.

I'm sympathetic to folks suffering from PTSD, but this guy shot at police and fire officials.

We live in a society where there are rules. A background as a soldier, combat vet, hero, whatever, does nothing to relieve someone from still needing to comply with those rules. I'm a combat vet from both Iraq and Afghanistan, and I'm not under any disillusion that it makes me any different than any other fellow American citizen. We're all equal, free men and responsible for our own actions.

If PTSD is the root cause, then I'm sure that will be fleshed out and given it's due accord in the courtroom.

Until then, like every other American, he will get his day in court.

Now, if you want to talk about the mental health treatment he is or is not getting with Big Green Army, that's an entirely different discussion.

bruce drake
06-26-2012, 11:23 AM
I raised my hand under Bush I, served through the Clinton Years, Served under Bush II and currently serving under the current administration. I serve the country not just the president.

Regarding the OP. The event occurred off the military reservation. The Army doesn't have a say in what the local authorities do with the young Sgt. Our jurisdiction in things like this ends at the gate. If the local LE don't want to charge him, it is their call with the DA.

If we were to go in there and snatch him out of the local jail, we would be hearing holy ned from everyone about how we weren't recognizing the local police and we'd be getting threads about us being jackboots and thugs.

If the Sgt truly has PTSD, it will come out during his trial and should be evaluated by both the judge and jury as to the level of the care he got prior to and since the event.

I've down four trips to the sandbox (IRQ and AFG) and have dealt with serious events over there as well, but thankfully I know that those events are best left there and not back to the States or my family.

Hopefully the trooper gets the care that he needs. Its unfortunate that he allowed himself to act the way he did.

Bruce

x101airborne
06-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Knowing the quality of law enforcement here in Victoria Count, I could see where they probably provolked him.

And dont take too much stock in the mere fact that he is charged. They always charge with the highest offense possible, then negotiate down. Sticking him with attempted murder is going to be hard without proving intent.

And as far as PTSD goes, I spent a year after my last deployment in therapy for PTSD and could not hold a job. People called me cold, insensitive, a psycopath, antisocial, and all other types of names even though they knew I was a veteran, so I know how he feels. I do think someone needs to raise some cane about this. And I think the military needs to step in. If he felt threatened, he probably acted a little outside the norm, but that is how some military members are trained to act. Like was stated, you spend years training someone to do a job others wont do, then you kick em out and expect them to roll right back into society. That is BS. If anything, the police need to call themselves lucky he wasn't intent on stopping a threat. The military needs to bring him back in for treatment.

connecticut-yankee
06-26-2012, 11:41 AM
I suffer from PTSD and have to say that the VA has done everything they can to help. That includes hospitalization, meds, counseling and support. I also know that I must obey all civil and criminal laws.

The SSgt med record should contain all diagnosis, recommendations, prescriptions and prognosis. It would behoove his lawyer to subpeana that record plus any dealings the SSgt has had with VA.

Mud Eagle
06-26-2012, 12:25 PM
I do think someone needs to raise some cane about this. And I think the military needs to step in.

Again, what needs to be done? Why does "cain" need to be raised?

I agree there may be background issues with the treatment this NCO received from Big Green, but that in no way means there is some miscarriage of justice in what is happening in this case. The man shot at the cops and firemen...do you expect him to get a pass because he has PTSD? Did the officers act improperly when they were engaged? Did the DAs and SAs act inappropriately by charging someone who shot at cops and firemen according to the law?

you spend years training someone to do a job others wont do, then you kick em out and expect them to roll right back into society. That is BS.

Sorry, but that's a weak sister argument. There have been millions of "trained killers" with combat experience over the years who left the military and had no significant problems getting back into being normal American citizens.

Not denying that there are joes who have trouble with it, but that's not the "norm" by any stretch of the imagination. There is nothing inherently impossible about being able to behave a certain way as a soldier in a combat zone and another way when you're in the CONUS or back in the civilian world. Most humans can compartmentalize their behavior in a way which makes that possible.

Folks with PTSD deserve to get the best care possible -- my heart breaks for them, so don't misunderstand what I'm posting as not being sympathetic. But it still doesn't release any of us from having to be responisble members of society.

x101airborne
06-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Eh, your opinion and mine just vary.

I see your point. Sure, you have valid arguments.

But look at the frequency this is happening. All over the US, not just this case. I do think the military is negligent to a degree and I dont feel they do enough to follow up on some of the high risk patients. And maybe your VA is better than mine, but mine wouldnt even return my calls after a year. And it will take someone raising cain about it to get it changed. And why not start with this incident. I mean, since we didn't start with any of the others.

If it were so easy to compartmentalize behavior, then why is the suicide rate so high among heavy combat vets? Why are there hundreds of statistics on this that have only caused minor or inferior reform in our government system? How many Viet-nam vets were treated for PTSD? I know change is slow, but if we dont want another 13 billion dollar government study to tell us we can and need to do more for our vets, we better get off our donkeys and speak up now. You can be quiet if you like, but a little pressure from a lot of people in the right places could prevent stuff like this. Anyone else hear of "FT. Bragg Syndrome"? 15,000 troops returned from deployment. In the first month there were something like 250 (estimate) murders and over 300 suicides. I remember because I was there. Only then did the military start watching soldiers. I am not speaking from studies, analysis, or guesses. I was there. I lived it. It is all a guess untill the trigger is pulled.

Bad Water Bill
06-26-2012, 02:14 PM
And we will NEVER know how many Vietnam vets are STILL living in the mountains and woods because they know they can no longer live in our society.

Recluse
06-26-2012, 04:17 PM
I guess I'm just part of that older generation of vets who live and breathe the mantra of "We take care of our own."

popper
06-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Kennedy for me, pretty much the same. Never have been able to listen or watch J Fonda since, that bunch is always moaning to the press. Flew to Seattle a couple years ago sitting next to a returnee. He was showing and glowing about pics of a 'enemy' he shot. These young warriors need a lot of help and prayers. Of course all these libs have for them are lawyers

Mud Eagle
06-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Not denying in any way whatsoever that combat vets have experienced emotionally significant things that other citizens haven't, or that some need and deserve some very special care. Of course that's true. Of course we take care of each other the best way we can.

It's just that the vast, vast majority of them (us) assimilate back into society just fine. And the law of the land -- the one we swore to support and defend -- is still the one we have to abide by, regardless of those scars of war.

koehn,jim
06-26-2012, 05:10 PM
since it was asked I feel he is getting a raw deal because the case of PTSD that he has was severe enough that he was not deployed a third time, the report said he was a possible threat to himself or others. He was scheduled in August 2011 for therapy in the spring sometime, until than given once a week counciling and meds. Two Drs that have examined him say he has severe PTSD and believed he was under attack that night. I would like to know why he was living off base and allowed to have a gun if this is true. Why was he not in intense therapy, we can spend a lot of money for other stuff but we dont take care of the troops that come home broken. I know that there are thousands that return to society without apparent problems but than why is the suicide rate so high. I am of the mindset that we as a nation must do everything we can to make these people whole. Thats just my thoughts on the subject, I have contacted my elected Reps to ask that they see what can be done. If enough people do the same maybe we can get better care for our troops.

felix
06-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Anything can happen at any time. We see/hear obvious stuff only. How many of us have heard about "has been" astronauts, submariners, seals, etc.? It is truly paradoxical that self-afflicted perverts are protected and those who became so through authorized actions are not, and just discarded. Charlton Heston has it right in the Planet of the Apes: What kind of upside down world/planet is this? ... felix

JeffinNZ
06-26-2012, 06:26 PM
What's the fuss? He has been charged. So? He'll go through the judicial process and if he has PTSD then that will be considered.

The real question is that irrespective of his background of alleged disorder do you want people to be able to go around shooting at police cars (or any vehicle for that matter) and be able to plead "it's not my fault cos I'm unwell"? Dodgy ground to be on.

How about we all just let the process run it's course then revisit?

WILCO
06-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Hopefully the trooper gets the care that he needs. Its unfortunate that he allowed himself to act the way he did.

PTSD isn't voluntary.

bearcove
06-26-2012, 10:48 PM
My familly has a long history of military service. We have served in all of the wars fought by this country. It is understandable that a veteran has been stressed a bit by war, but that doesn't give him an automatic insanity plea.

Used to be war is hell. Now its an excuse for lack of self control after its over.

I don't buy into all the psycology out there now. If humans were that weak we would be extinct.

WILCO
06-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Used to be war is hell. Now its an excuse for lack of self control after its over. I don't buy into all the psycology out there now. .

I repeat, PTSD isn't voluntary.

shdwlkr
06-27-2012, 01:25 PM
First there are more Vietnam Veterans than anyone wants to talk about that live away from people period.
Second if this soldier has PTSD so bad that he is a threat to himself and others and the military let him be lose then yes they do have a stake in this deal.

His shooting at anyone that is not a combatant is an issue and should be addressed by seeing he gets the medical care he needs.

PTSD is not something new only the name is new since the Vietnam War I believe and no it is not something you hide behind it is a real and very scary sometimes mental disorder that needs counseling and sometimes medication to help the individual move on with life.

Yea I understand it way better than most I am studying about it right now at college and also how to help those that suffer from it. I have talked to many veterans that have all kinds or variations of it and no it is not easy to get pasted. Some individuals can hold it together for decades before it gets the best of them. A lot of our Vietnam Veterans are running into in the last few years and the military, VA all thought it would show up in a short period after the event(s) goes to show you how much the medical world understands what goes on in the brain of an individual.

The labeling of veterans as home grown terrorists is an attempt to outlaw veterans from having firearms. Total piece of **** from the current set of dirt bags in the beltway and they come from both parties that look more and more like one party with just different ways of getting to the same end a Communist America.

Think about this if the country falls apart just think who knows better how to deal with nasty situations then a veteran. If you enjoy your freedoms,. then the next time you see a veteran, or a individual in uniform walk and shake their hand and thank them for serving and keeping your sorry butt safe and in a country where you can call them names for doing what OUR country asked them to do and then come home with issues only to be kicked in the face once again and called a terrorist.

If you think you can be taught how to react in a violent way when threatened and you take off the uniform and all that training goes away you had better find something less strong to drink and look at all the **** going on in this country right now.

We have the TSA that has pedophiles touching our kids, TSA is so stupid they don't know what cremated remains are even when labeled on the container, TSA likes looking at nude bodies when you want to fly.

Then we have Home Land Security that does what for America? OH that is right they tell us our veterans are home grown terrorists.

We have such a good President that we are more divided as a nation then we were in before the civil war. Great job of bringing the country together. Do I think the other party is any better nope they both have no clue or care what the common American wants or cares about. Wonder why just look how rich they are and are getting more so because of the information they learn in DC.

felix
06-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Yep, well said. Heston would approve. ... felix

ilcop22
06-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Raise holy hell over the lack of treatment. Raise holy hell over the military's rubber stamp approach to dealing with mental illness. Aside from that, he's still responsible for his actions. The police didn't "provoke him"; they were called AFTER he started firing at the firefighters who responded. He drew them in, he fired at them, he deserves to be tried and sentenced according to his crimes. If this was some random guy who grew up in the streets, you all would be screaming for his head or bashing his upbringing, regardless of mental defect.

bruce drake
06-27-2012, 02:55 PM
http://www.dcoe.health.mil/24-7help.aspx

Today, June 27th is National PTSD Awareness Day

The link above is to the Department of Defense's Center of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury.

They offer 24/7 counseling for Soldiers, Former Soldiers, and Spouses regarding PTSD and how to gain assistance.

Toll-free
1-866-966-1020

If you know someone who may need some counseling assistance, jot down the website or the phone number and have them reach out for the help they may need.

Bruce

Bad Water Bill
06-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks for posting the # Bruce.

I suggest everyone copy it and store it somewhere safe. You never know when someone you know will need that help

x101airborne
06-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Bruce.... That was truly helpful. I for one will absolutely hang on to that number in my phone book and pass it on or use it as needed.

I am not saying he is not responsible for his actions. I am saying that there is more to it than there appears. He absolutely needs to be tried and punished accordingly. I went out and came back and have not shot at anyone since. I can control it, but I saw maybe 1/100th of what others did and I know how I feel sometimes. I am saying there has always been a lack of care for our vets and we (myself included) owe more than a thanks to those who served. For some, just because the fight is over doesn't mean the war is. And those live a daily hell. But the punishment needs to be on par with the circumstances. I pray for him and thank GOD no one was seriously hurt.

x101airborne
06-27-2012, 04:57 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/military-wives-strip-down-raise-awareness-ptsd-battling-182300698.html

HMMMM..... Coincidence?

bruce drake
06-27-2012, 05:53 PM
well, those wives and soldiers, I guess. are of a different generation than me. I dropped the desire to hit strip clubs over 20 years ago. If they stepped up and told their story at their local church group they'd probably get better support than writing on their bodies with a marker and posing for a photo.

Recluse
06-27-2012, 10:49 PM
If this was some random guy who grew up in the streets, you all would be screaming for his head or bashing his upbringing, regardless of mental defect.

This is the WHOLE EFFING POINT! He is NOT some "random guy who grew up in the streets."

He IS a United States soldier, ******! He put his *** in harm's way serving his country. His country KNOWS that he is a danger to himself and others and will not step up to the plate to help him.

And Shdwlkr. . . damn straight and well said.

Adam10mm
06-28-2012, 02:25 AM
Combat induced PTSD is no excuse for shooting at civilian LE and firemen. Seems like a label for those that couldn't walk the walk they were trained to do. *** did you sign up in the military? For infantry? Did you think you were going to roast marshmallows off your bayonet your entire enlistment? You signed up when our nation was at war, knew there was a big chance you were going to war to do your job to kill the enemy in the name of the United States of America, and you couldn't handle it.

Thanks for serving, glad you made it back home, but that doesn't give them the right to shoot at someone because you had a flashback.

blackthorn
06-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Recluse----WELL SAID!!!

Love Life
06-28-2012, 10:43 AM
I am torn on this one. On the one hand I believe the soldier needs to be held accountable for his actions, and that PTSD is not an excuse.

On the other hand I understand PTSD very well. My best friend was never able to shake the war. He lived with us for over a year after our last deployment. Most nights of the week he woke up in a panic, was disoriented, or woke up screaming and punching. Of course the fact that we powerhoused hard liquor to deal with it didn't help, but the innocence of youth and ignorance right?

He is married now and we still talk several times a week. He married a strong woman who is able to deal with his PTSD. The whole point of this is that PTSD works differently with every individual. Kind of like boolits work differently in each firearm.

I bury it down and avoid situations that bring it all back. I have open talks about it with my wife and just cut out the deeds that I do not want her to know about. I am always on the alert, and random yelling, unexpected louad noises, and seeing muslims in their traditional garb all set me on edge. I get increased heart rate and breathing, flushed, and I have to remove myself from the situation. The war is never over for those who fought it.

Alot of vets avoid getting the care they need for fear of becoming outcasts within their unit. The military is very alpha male oriented. Before PTSD came to the front, most the time people who claimed it were called weaklings or malingerers. It is sad.

All that being said though, the military has come a loooooooooooooooong way in how they deal with PTSD.

Mud Eagle
06-28-2012, 11:48 AM
well, those wives and soldiers, I guess. are of a different generation than me. I dropped the desire to hit strip clubs over 20 years ago. If they stepped up and told their story at their local church group they'd probably get better support than writing on their bodies with a marker and posing for a photo.

I'm in my late 30s, commissioned in the early 90s, and I thought that was a pretty clever way to bring awareness to the issue.

Certainly the 'shock' value is core to the effort, but I don't think it has to do with anything related to the desire to see skin.

Recluse
06-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Combat induced PTSD is no excuse for shooting at civilian LE and firemen. Seems like a label for those that couldn't walk the walk they were trained to do. *** did you sign up in the military? For infantry? Did you think you were going to roast marshmallows off your bayonet your entire enlistment? You signed up when our nation was at war, knew there was a big chance you were going to war to do your job to kill the enemy in the name of the United States of America, and you couldn't handle it.

I guess I missed it. . .

What branch did you serve in, what was your job and where and for how long were you deployed?

Oh, and how many buddies did you personally witness first EFFING HAND get blown all over you and your pals when a shoeshine box blew up in his face?

This is where those who haven't been there need to STFU. The whole issue surrounding what we called "flashbacks" and that is now lumped in with PTSD (a moniker, in my opinion, that is far too wide and all-encompassing) is that Ssgt. Eisenhaur didn't shoot at firemen and cops.

He was shooting at Afhgan insurgents and Taliban fighters.

THAT'S what his mind and every fibre in his body was telling him.

There are a lot of form of PTSD, but combat "flashbacks" are a beast all unto themselves. They are not nearly as common as other lesser--but equally as harmful--manifestations of PTSD.

I was at a VA hospital yesterday where I volunteer for "Guitars For Vets" and two of the guys I was picking six-strings with brought up the whole "flashback" versus "I simply can't function in society" syndrome.

Of course, Freakshow, I reckon the main guy I was talking with probably isn't up to your lofty, combat-hardened skills and direct experience since he screams at night everytime someone bangs into a mop bucket or bumps into his bed.

He came back from Iraq blind.

And it wasn't marshmellows that blew up on him.

You have no idea, no idea at ALL how bad your BS self-sanctimonious attitude about what these soldiers, sailors and airmen have gone through pissed me off.

I have a suggestion for you, and even though it is anatomically impossible, try it anyway.

bruce drake
06-28-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm in my late 30s, commissioned in the early 90s, and I thought that was a pretty clever way to bring awareness to the issue.

Certainly the 'shock' value is core to the effort, but I don't think it has to do with anything related to the desire to see skin.

Joined in the 80s, commissioned in the 90's, Early 40's. Been a Christian for a long time. Like I said, they'd get better support from thier local church than anyone oogling their photos.

Bad Water Bill
06-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Military a nd federal law forbids me from saying what I worked with but you can sleep soundly tonight because of ALL of the vets that have EVER stepped up and signed that check.

If you never signed the check GO AWAY.

If you want to say you ever were a real vet sign off with your military ID #

These vets have REAL problems that need to be taken care of.

These vets covered your anatomy and the least we can do is help them.

By the way my E Mail address starts with FIRST SKYHAWK because I took one of the first 2 squadrons to sea.

Adam10mm
06-29-2012, 12:54 AM
The whole issue surrounding what we called "flashbacks" and that is now lumped in with PTSD (a moniker, in my opinion, that is far too wide and all-encompassing) is that Ssgt. Eisenhaur didn't shoot at firemen and cops.

He was shooting at Afhgan insurgents and Taliban fighters.

THAT'S what his mind and every fibre in his body was telling him.
This isn't fantasy, this is reality. The fact of the matter is he was shooting at cops and firemen no matter what his mind was telling him. What is going on in his head is of no consequence. He's been arrested for what he did in reality, not what he thought he was doing in his mind. People get arrested for actions, not thoughts.

There are a lot of form of PTSD, but combat "flashbacks" are a beast all unto themselves. They are not nearly as common as other lesser--but equally as harmful--manifestations of PTSD.

I was at a VA hospital yesterday where I volunteer for "Guitars For Vets" and two of the guys I was picking six-strings with brought up the whole "flashback" versus "I simply can't function in society" syndrome.

Of course, Freakshow, I reckon the main guy I was talking with probably isn't up to your lofty, combat-hardened skills and direct experience since he screams at night everytime someone bangs into a mop bucket or bumps into his bed.

He came back from Iraq blind.

And it wasn't marshmellows that blew up on him.
And that's where the military fails. Their out processing of soldiers is pathetic. They get dumped back into society without the proper attention and either are compelled to get help or they do **** like in this case and then they get court ordered help.

I see both kinds every day. The veterans that wear a mask to the clinic so their identity is hidden, lest one of their fellow soldiers mock them. The 18yo man I took in last week on in-take who literally pisses himself every time a microwave turns on because it sounds just like the IED getting activated that blew up his Hummvee that killed everyone inside but him. How about the former LT that washed his hands so many times he rubbed the skin off and has his hands wrapped in synthetic skin through many painful surgeries. He tried to come to terms with the men he sent off to battle that got killed under his watch. He tried with all his might to wash the blood from his hands because they were doing their job and their ticket got called.

Do you want me to go on? I work in the intake department at a mental health facility. 30 percent of our intakes are veterans of the GWOT with PTSD.

Have I been in the military? No. Have I been in any type of lethal combat? No. Do I see first hand the effects of war on soldiers? Yes, every single day, 5 days a week, weekend on call rotation. How many veterans have I talked down from committing suicide in the last 2 years? Seven.

You think I don't understand? I deal with this **** every ****ing day. The military does not train the soldier psychologically to deal with the things soldiers do in war and what happens to their fellow soldiers. I wish for the lessons learned in the GWOT are taken to heart and quality programs introduced.

But I'll go ahead and STFU, then shove my head up my ***, because it's so clear that I have such a disconnect with this issue.

Thanks for all the advice and support you gave me in the past. I appreciate it. Bid you farewell, JD, as I'm done with this forum. Take care of yourself.

Adam

shdwlkr
06-29-2012, 10:04 AM
First lets get one thing clear no one is excusing what the Sgt did.
Second yes he should be brought up on legal issues, but it also must be looked at with his medical issues. We do this for all other medical issues so why not for a Vet, Oh that right because he is a vet he is less human right? Pig fart he deserves far more human treatment than most who are brought to court for shootings and nothing more.
Third many here can relate to this soldier and his issues. I have seen my share of sorrow grapes from military time.
Fourth here we can say and judge this Sgt all we want but first we don't know all the questions or even all the answers. The military is part of the issue and should also be held responsible for letting someone who is a risk to them self and other on the street. IF you really want to find fault do so in the right place.
Fifth those military wives are doing all they can to support, love and show they really care about their husbands. I find no fault with them or their actions and you want to know something if they want to come to my church and talk I will stand with them and protect them from the dirt bags who think they are better. The government is doing little for them, has a problem from a 10 year war they have no way of solving and the numbers are going through the roof. The VA can not handle the sheer numbers, it is a failure on the part of the DOD to prepare these individuals for the reality of war and most of all Congress is very slow in handing out money to help our veterans but more than willing to give it away to any dirt country they feel it is a good thing to do.
Sixth if you have never seen the dirty side of military service keep you mouth shut until you do. If you are a LEO and have been in a real gun fight welcome you sort of understand. If you are a firemen and have ever pulled a burned person out of a burning building you also have sort of enjoyed some of the fun.

I have a dear friend here in Idaho whose son was in the last few weeks the receiving end of mortar round. No it didn't kill him but it left its scars mostly unseen that I will hopefully get a chance to help him with when he gets home. Yea you see I am learning to be a mental health counselor and will work with veterans hopefully almost exclusively. Why because I understand their issues better than most as I have walked a few years in their shoes. If you have never talked, been around a PTSD individual try it and if you have any compassion in your being it will bring you to tears, great big huge ones that there is no hiding. IF not then you should go work for the Obama Health care team you fit right in with those non feeling insensitive dirt bags.

Love Life
06-29-2012, 11:35 AM
On preparing service members for the realities of war.

The Military does everything they can to prepare our service members for war. There is very realistic training. I'm talking hollywood makeup artists applying their skills to make the "wounded" in training very realistic.

Unfortunately no matter how realistic the training is, you always know it is just training. You can hit the reset button at anytime.

In war it is a totally different monster. War is a game for keeps. It is the young and middle aged men of various countries trying to kill or maim each other before they get killed or maimed themselves.

Service members who experience the horrors of war such as dead and maimed friends, constant enemy fire, and explosions are forever changed.

With that being said even your rear echelon servicemembers suffer mental issues even though they may not be exposed to direct combat and it's atrocities. There is the constant worry of death, always being on the alert, and the fear of the unknown that will weigh on their minds.

PTSD has become more of a priority as the years have gone by. Some people are not bothered with PTSD until many years after their service. Some don't claim it for fear of being labled a puss. Some are hit by it immediately. One of the bravest acts I've ever seen is when a friend of mine stepped down from his position as a fire team leader. His fireteam was given the task of cleaning up one of our brothers who had triggered an IED. The IED pretty much quartered the Marine. He was never the same since, and he knew he could not effectively fight his Marines. That is just an example.

Some bury it all deep inside. That is not the best method because at some point the dam is going to burst.

I want to thank freakshow for providing the services he does for our mentally wounded veterans. One of the good outcomes of these wars is that PTSD has come to the forefront, and with it being such a hot topic issue it gives credence to members who suffered from it from previous wars, but who were discarded since nobody believed it existed at those times.

PTSD is just another name for a common symptom of warfighting. Some other names you may recognize are shell shock, combat fatigue, gulf war syndrome, and there are a few others I can't recall at this time.

Bad Water Bill
06-29-2012, 06:10 PM
i was in in peace time if there is such. Got out July of 59

In September the cubs or sox (don't remember which) win their league championship.

I was at a drive in at the time and a real sweetie pie had just put my meal on the door at the time the Mayor of Chicago decided to celebrate.

The air raid sirens went off. MY door flew open and I was under the car that fast. Meal lost and the girl thought I was to crazy to ever talk to again. But that was what we were trained to do. To bad the military could not and still can not find the time or money to UN TRAIN the vets. I said it then and I have said it again and again for lo these many years.

All of the vets are human beings and should be treated as such. Not just thrown out with the garbage when their time is up.

I also think we should have some obligation to the wonderful girls that marry then loose their husbands. They should not just be handed a flag and told to get lost.

felix
06-29-2012, 06:17 PM
'Planet of the Apes', and you are an animal subscripted by the apes. Say differently is a waste of time until things go back to a thoroughly constitutional system. ... felix