PDA

View Full Version : .410 shotshell reloading

Marvin S
06-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Need some help getting started on loading for the .410 bore. I have loaded for 12 and 20ga for years with the LEE load all but that is not available for the .410. I have done a lot of searching and reading. Thinking of getting a MEC 600jr Mk5 probably in the 2.5" length and was considering buying several boxes of Rem STS loaded rounds to reload afterwards. I don,t shoot a lot of shotgun maybe 2 to 3 rounds of sporting clays a year and some bird hunting. So large volume is not needed.

For the guys that been there and done that what do you recommend. This is for loading shot for a SxS shotgun so slugs and buckshot loads are not needed.

canyon-ghost
06-24-2012, 07:49 PM
I've seen a lot of MECs come through the shooting club, I suppose they are good machines. Haven't used one myself though.

kenyerian
06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Might want to consider the Mec Sizemaster. I have some pistols chambered for 410 as well as a couple of shotguns so I have to resize to get the reloads to chamber in all of my guns. I think that Lee is missing the boat by not making a load all for 410's.

turtlezx
06-24-2012, 07:59 PM
mec 600r jr
has loaded 15k rounds through it nothing broken and still works great
cant go wrong for your application .
big money saver to factory ammo $13 per box for the 410

aa hulls are the best choice some have been loaded 10 times
single stage so will load about 50 hr

GBertolet
06-24-2012, 08:03 PM
I have a MEC 600JR press set up for .410 that I got from an estate sale. I just load the 3" hulls, as in the .410 you need all the shot you can get. I use them in my 42 Winchester. The cost savings are incredible compared to 10 to 15 dollars a box for factory ammo. In your case, shooting only two or three boxes a year, and a new MEC press costing upwards of $160, plus the cost of components, its going to take quite a while to break even, and might be hard to justify. If you can get a used press cheaply, that changes everything. Ballistic Products is a good source for components and loading info. Good luck in your endeavor.

jmsj
06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Marvin,
I too wanted to get a Lee Load All in .410. I contacted Lee Precision and got a reponse from them that stated that they had tried to convert the Load All to .410 but there were issues that prevented them from getting a suitable working model and that they had given up on further development.
I was able to buy a MEC 600 in .410 from a fellow member here and have loaded about 400 shells with it so far. It is so simple that both of my kids (8&12 years old) are able to load their own shells (under my supervision).
Good luck, jmsj

0verkill
06-24-2012, 09:46 PM
MEC is about the only way to go. I'd spring for the extra and get a Sizemaster, especially if you have more than one 410. You'll also save more money loadind 3" over 2 1/2", and when the 3" hulls split at the crimp, you can cut 'em down. I also agree with turtlezx that the Winchester AA are better. The 3"HS hulls are the same, just longer.

If you're used to the Load-All, the only things you'll dislike about the MEC is changeing guages or lengths, and not getting all the bushings you need. Check Hodgden and alliant for charge weights and the powder bushings you'll need and don't forget to order extras if need be (I think they come with 3 and a charge bar). You'll also need an extra charge bar or two if you decide to load 3" (11/16, 3/4). You will like tilting the shot and powder bottles back and being able to empty each one seperately though, the greatest feature it has over a LEE.

Marvin S
06-24-2012, 10:00 PM
I have read that there is crimping issues with the 410 and a roll crimp is the way to go. How good does the MEC 600 crimp in the 410? Also are the AA hulls still perferred over the STS?

UNIQUEDOT
06-25-2012, 02:25 AM
If you're used to the Load-All, the only things you'll dislike about the MEC is changeing guages or lengths, and not getting all the bushings you need.

Actually the bushings are not a problem at all since a multi scale universal charge bar takes the place of all the bushings. I don't even own a single charge bar or bushing for my mec anymore and the best thing about the multi scale is that you can get the exact shot weight with it regardless of alloy.

Also are the AA hulls still perferred over the STS?

Yes for the .410 bore even the HS AA's are desirable and are a lot tougher hull, but they are harder to crimp, but that is no problem with a mec or PW.

Marvin S
06-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks to all for the replys. Where does one buy 3" AA .410 shells?

pietro
06-26-2012, 01:05 PM
AFAIK, Winchester stopped selling them as separate components for loading, so unless you get lucky finding someone's stash, you'll most likely have to buy loaded ammo & save the hulls. . :sad:

UNIQUEDOT
06-26-2012, 03:20 PM

Yep, you'll have to buy them used, pick up empties or save them from factory stuff as was suggested. You can always post in the trade section a request for some.

Marvin S
06-26-2012, 10:08 PM
I looked all over the Internet and never found factory loaded 3" AA shells.

sargenv
06-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Because they aren't marketed as AA's... they are marketed usually as Super-X or some such 3" hulled .410.. AA's are target loads, but that doesn't mean that the internals in the 3" hull isn't the same as the 2.5" AA target hull... :)

Marvin S
06-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Okay I already have a couple boxes of them.

Fredx10sen
06-26-2012, 11:35 PM
+1 on the Mec 600 :)

Fredx10sen
06-26-2012, 11:39 PM

Ballistic Products has 3" primed hulls Item # 0644130 :smile:

OverMax
07-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I reload 410s and use the Mec 600 Jr. Mark 5 - 3". I only reload 3". I've found it best to stick to one size 410 hull that meets all my small gauge shooting needs which are primarily hunting or varmint disposal. As resetting my press from 3" to 2-1/2 and back again to 3" is not worth the effort. But that would be at your preference Marvin S. I prefer to buy new pre-primed 3" hulls from {Ballistic Products} for my 410 reloader rather than to fool around with burnt once fired anything. Again at your preference Marvin S as 2-1/2" pre-primed hulls are also available. Reloading 410s will challenge a reloaders patience no doubt about it. A tip for anyone reloading 410s: Try doing a Roll crimp verses a Fold. Ballistic Products web site posts a demo film clip on how its done. Good luck with your decision Sir.

Marvin S
07-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks. I bought the Lyman shotshell manual and see the Win HS hulls will be marked as such on the head of the shell and the case. HS stands for high strength which I did not know. The 3" Super X shells I have now are not HS cases, so much for that. Looks like the way to get em is just buy new ones.

shotman
07-08-2012, 11:52 AM
the MEC 600 isnt hard to change from 2 1/2 to 3in need the extra final crimp. If you are not going to load a lot I would use 444 brass. If you cut petals off to about 1/4 in high you can get 11/16 oz in them
Take a 45 pistol case and cut over shot seals from a cottage cheese lid

krag35
07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
I picked up a 410 "Lee" style loader somewhere ( maybe off Ebay) I'm loading Remington 2 1/2" game hulls.
15.0 gr H110
SP410 wad
1/2 oz 7 1/2 shot
Rem STS primers (they were on closeout sale)

I loaded up 100 rounds in a couple hours and it worked just as good as my whack it Lee loaders I use for 12 gauge. My loads pattern just as well at factory loads, don't cost much, and gave me a reason to buy several more boxes of factory loads for when these hulls wear out. I figure I'm set for life.

W.R.Buchanan
07-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Shotman: Do you ever have to size the .444 cases when used as .410's?

Nobody has ever said one way or the other.

Do they expand like they would in a rifle application? Is there enough pressure to blow them out?

Seems like they wouldn't need to be sized because of the low pressures involved.

I only have one .410 right now and it is a Springfield M6 Scout survival rifle. Hoewever I want a .410 O/U to shoot skeet with, and so I can burn up the 8lbs of H110 I have had for years. I guess I could settle for a Winchester Deluxe Grade M42, but they are as much as a new Browning Citori.

I would buy a MEC for loading .410's unless I could find a Pacific DL266 in .410, which is a pretty rare bird.

As far as O/F .410 hulls try www.trapshooters.com

Be preparred to pay .25 each for Winchester AA's and be quick about it, as they DO NOT last for very long. They are usually gone in less than 15 minutes on the board.

I load 12 ga. AA's and usually get 8-10 reloads out of each hull. They are good quality components. 12 ga AA's typically sell on TC.com for .04 per hull so you can see the difference in the costs. You can usually buy 12 ga hulls by the thousands, whereas you might only see 1-300 .410's for sale at any given time.

Randy

UNIQUEDOT
07-09-2012, 01:23 PM
I would buy a MEC for loading .410's unless I could find a Pacific DL266 in .410, which is a pretty rare bird.

I saw two of these in one week for sale on that auction site and both of them sold for around $50 each as i recall. This was within the last couple of months too.

shotman
07-09-2012, 05:23 PM
W.R never had too and have run in several guns . there is no pressure in in them. Only thing in a pump they may hang if you go fast. I have had that on a mossy but he is shooting a SXS
they work for me that way
see the 410 wads only cover about 1/2 shot anyway so cutting pettels dont mater
the old mark 5s didnt have a cup and they were best out there
you dont need any roll as the 45 cut fits tight as in pic
those have been loaded about 10 times and still chamber in anything

Tracy
08-01-2012, 12:25 AM
If you get a roll crimper head to use in your drill press you won't even need a loading press. Also, you can load them to any length you want, including custom lengths that are not available in any factory load. For example, I have loaded some short enough to work in my .45 Colt revolvers.