PDA

View Full Version : shortening the buttstock on a 336

quilbilly
06-24-2012, 07:06 PM
My wife would like to start shooting a lever action but she has a very short length of pull (about 11-1/2") so can't shoot mine. Has anyone ever tried shortening the buttstock on a 336 with success? What problems did you have?

Gtek
06-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Ram-Line Cadet- for small stature. Midway, Brownell's and you do not hurt the original wood.
Gtek

Geobru
06-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Ram-Line Cadet- for small stature. Midway, Brownell's and you do not hurt the original wood.
Gtek

+1

Don't cut the original wood!

OverMax
06-27-2012, 08:28 AM
I side with Gtek & Geobru about doing. Maybe you feel differently. If that's the case. Here are a couple helpful video's that will explain the procedures. Just Google the links provided. Good luck w/ your project Sir.

Gunsmithing - Length of Pull - Making It Nearly Perfect
I suggest 1-1/2 inches from thumb to nose is good in most cases for a comfortable grip.
Gunsmithing - How to Shorten a Stock to Change the Length of Pull.

Rick R
06-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Since there's only one bolt holding the stock on the rifle I'd look at a replacement stock from Boyd's

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-Marlin-s/126.htm

Cut it to the proper length, add a recoil pad to fit your wife's needs and you still have a stock to fit you if you want to shoot the rifle or decide to sell it.

largom
06-27-2012, 09:49 AM
It's great that your wife wants to shoot your 336 so do what is necessary to make her happy. If you cut the original stock or a replacement the old butt plate or pad will also have to be ground down to fit. If the stock has a hard butt plate I would consider replacing it with a good rubber recoil pad. If you do not have the tools or experience in doing this I would consider buying a replacement youth stock as suggested by others.

Larry

06-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Lots of options like everybody has said. Buy a youth stock is the easiest. Cut the original and you can never go back which may or may not be a bad thing. Buy a wood junker replacement and cut that. It's not a difficult job to cut the stock, apply a rubber "grindable" recoil pad, and then refinish it. Largom is right. Promote her interest in shooting and make her happy. I did a recoil pad job on my friend's brand new Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun, laminate stock. Cut it back to a 12" LOP. He loves it and wouldn't have it any other way.