PDA

View Full Version : What's the trick to reinstall a Ross M92 Forearm?

357shooter
06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Ok, so I removed the forearm and now I can't get the screw started back into the ring.

I looks like everything has to be "just right" in order for it to get started?

Anyone have any tips?

Moondawg
06-24-2012, 07:07 PM
I didn't have that problem with my Rossi 92 fore end, but I did have the exact same problem with a Winchester Mdl 94 fore end It like to drive me nuts. I tried for a week and could not get the %^&## screw started. Someone on Paco Kelly's Lever Guns forum suggested when all else fails, than really lean on the screw. Put some downwardd pressure on it as you turn. The worst you can do is screw up some screw threads. I tried that trick and it worked like a champ. May or may not work for you.

Geobru
06-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Yep, same thing happened to me. I wound up compressing the barrel band slightly with a clamp and the screw started right away.

357shooter
06-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try later today.

Four Fingers of Death
06-26-2012, 06:23 AM
I had a Marlin 45/70, drove me nuts trying to get it together, ended up using a G Clamp.

The Rossi ain't broke, I haven't tried to fix it yet, lol.

1bluehorse
06-26-2012, 02:51 PM
I had the exact same problem, (plus a couple others as well) on my Wife's 357 Puma 92. Took the wood off to refinish it and get rid of that god-awful black "stuff" they put on them. Also sanded down some of the sharp edges. Came out pretty good I think...
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg23/ruger45s/Rossi.jpg

as far as getting it back together...It took me a couple hrs and I remember swearing alot...

Four Fingers of Death
06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Good result 1bluehorse. I normally don't bother refinishing guns, but the way the forend slims down ahead of the barrel band and is then squared off sort of offends my sensibilities (such as they are, lol). I can't figure out what to do with it. I must compare it to a Win 92 and see what the difference is. The fact that I would then have to completely refinish the gun after that has dampened my enthusiasm for levergun perfection somewhat. :D

Calamity Jake
06-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Try making the hole in the wood one drill size larger, keeping it as straight as possible

Geobru
06-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Try making the hole in the wood one drill size larger, keeping it as straight as possible

I tried that BEFORE I used the clamp - got the hat, t-shirt and button on that attempt.... Its all about getting a straight shot at the threads with the wood in the band. The wood seems to spring the band out just enough to keep the screw from getting started in the hole.

357shooter
06-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Finally get it back together. Had to drill out the hole in the wood, and press the heck out of it. I guess an even biggger hole would have made it easier. Sometimes these simple things blow up into a major event.