PDA

View Full Version : Loads for 223 Remington

500MAG
06-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I need some help. I am trying different powders while loading 223 rounds using 40gr V-max jacketed boolits. I use Lee dippers and also, the Lee autodisk. I have noticed that when Lee gives the load Data, and recommends the dipper size or Autodisk to use, it usually is lower than the recommended starting grains. For instance, for H-4198 , the Lee manual states the starting grains are 20.5 and max as 22.5. It recommends the 1.46 autodisk which gives 19.5 grains and states the dipper as N/A. They will not recommend anything above the starting grain, but will recommend lower. If you use the 1.57 autodisk you get 20.9 grains, which would be better. If you use the 1.6 dipper, you get 21.3gr.

hk33ka1
06-24-2012, 06:24 PM
If thats all you have to measure then I would use the lower load with the dipper to start, then the next one up as long as it is less than max load.

A scale is a must have so you can measure precise amounts, but I have had some rifles shoot really well with Lee dipper low end loads too. The scale will also allow you to see what weight you are actually throwing with your Lee dipper technique.

500MAG
06-24-2012, 06:28 PM
If thats all you have to measure then I would use the lower load with the dipper to start, then the next one up as long as it is less than max load.

A scale is a must have so you can measure precise amounts, but I have had some rifles shoot really well with Lee dipper low end loads too.

Thanks. I have a scale, I just prefer to use the autodisk or dipper for 223's. I use the scale for my 270's and 300 Win mag for hunting rounds. When I take my AR or Mini-14 to the range I blow off at least 200 rounds. Don't want to scale measure each of those rounds.

danielk
06-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Measuring 200 loads stinks I agree!! I would recommend you invest in a powder measure. Once you set it up to throw the load you need just hold the case mouths under the powder measure and rock and roll. I'd bet that its faster than your dippers.

r1kk1
06-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Measuring 200 loads stinks I agree!! I would recommend you invest in a powder measure. Once you set it up to throw the load you need just hold the case mouths under the powder measure and rock and roll. I'd bet that its faster than your dippers.

+1

r1kk1

Bullfrog
06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
500Mag,

You need to invest in a good ol' Lyman #55 powder measure.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
I need some help...I have noticed that when Lee gives the load Data, and recommends the dipper size or Autodisk to use, it usually is lower than the recommended starting grains. For instance, for H-4198 , the Lee manual states the starting grains are 20.5 and max as 22.5. It recommends the 1.46 autodisk which gives 19.5 grains and states the dipper as N/A. They will not recommend anything above the starting grain, but will recommend lower. If you use the 1.57 autodisk you get 20.9 grains, which would be better. If you use the 1.6 dipper, you get 21.3gr.

I can't really answer your question directly,
You need to work up your desired load for your rifle first,
there should be a whole chapter on how to do that.

with that said,
I use the Lee Pro autodisk quite often.
I use the Lee Manual "FOR REFERENCE ONLY"
the data is never the same as my actual setup.
you need to set it up and doublecheck/triplecheck with a scale
each reloading session.

Mostly I use this for pistol calibers, where for the most part, it doesn't matter
if I'm 0.5gr above or below my desired load,
BUT...
Here's a trick I use on a rare ocassion I can't get close enough to a desired load with a
disk. I then go to the next larger size disk and apply one or two
layers of Artists Tape inside the cavity to reduce it's size to the size
I need. This takes time....trial and error...and alot of measuring.
OR
I just use an adjustable powder measure like the RCBS uniflow.
Jon

CastingFool
12-02-2013, 09:00 AM
I have an old Redding powder measure. Sure it takes a little time getting it dialed in, but once it's set, you're good to go. I load mostly pistol rounds, but I weight check every 10 rounds. Helps a lot if you use ball powder as it meters well.

Larry Gibson
12-02-2013, 10:26 AM

+1. Even the Lee inexpensive powder measure is better and more accurate than what you are getting with the dippers and auto-disk.

Larry Gibson